Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Mike Tomlin get an extension before the 2019 regular season kicks off?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Legend

User Info Menu

Will Mike Tomlin get an extension before the 2019 regular season kicks off?

Brian Batko's Steelers chat transcript: 5.7.19

BRIAN BATKO
    Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

SteelerInIowa
    : Will Mike Tomlin get an extension before the 2019 regular season kicks off?

Brian Batko: I'm saying ... yes.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/201905070117

Legend

User Info Menu

Bouchette: Tomlin Likely To Get Contract Extension

'They think he’s a good coach, they want to keep him'

MAY 07, 2019

PITTSBURGH (93.7 The Fan) - The Steelers have some decisions coming up when it comes to contracts, both players and coaches.

Fan Steelers Insider Ed Bouchette of The Athletic says General Manager Kevin Colbert is in the last year of his current contract and that he is hearing that at 62-years-old, Colbert will be taking it “year to year”.

“When he does leave he wants to make sure (the Steelers) are in good shape . . .I don’t know how long Kevin is going to keep going,” said Bouchette.

Bouchette also believes Coach Mike Tomlin will soon get a contract extension and event thought he want as much as a Sean Payton the Steelers will probably give it to him.

“I don’t think money is going to be an issue with his contract, I really don’t,” said Bouchette. “If they’re paying him $7 million now, I can see them going up to $9 (million).”

Bouchette adds the Steelers still think Tomlin is an elite coach.

“They think he’s a good coach, they want to keep him,” said Bouchette. “He would get another job in a second, they’ve cleaned out the clubhouse if you will a little bit and it’s a new beginning so I can see them extending (Tomlin).”

When it comes to the players on the field Bouchette questions on if cornerback Artie Burns will still be a Steeler when Training Camp comes around.

“They have to decide going into Training Camp because once he is on the roster at the start of Training Camp they have to give him $800,000 as a roster bonus so I think they have a decision to make there as well whether to even bring him to training camp,” said Bouchette.

https://937thefan.radio.com/articles...ract-extension

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm guessing he will be extended before the start of the season. I don't know that the Rooneys would fire him even if they weren't happy with the job he is doing (as long as they're making big money).

Legend

User Info Menu

Terry Bradshaw:

“I played for a tough sucker, and I was afraid of him, and we played our ass off for him because we feared him,” Bradshaw said of his coach, Chuck Noll. “I don’t see that with this guy. He’s chest bumping and all that. I’m the head of the corporation, I’m the CEO, I’m the chairman of the board, I’m talking to the stockholders telling them here’s how we’re gonna do at the end of the quarter. I’m selling this thing, and I’m not delivering the goods, which is championships. You’ve got to face the criticism. I’m sorry, but he’s not my kind of coach. I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again.”

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/09/nfl...shaw-criticism

Banned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Terry Bradshaw:

“I played for a tough sucker, and I was afraid of him, and we played our ass off for him because we feared him,” Bradshaw said of his coach, Chuck Noll. “I don’t see that with this guy. He’s chest bumping and all that. I’m the head of the corporation, I’m the CEO, I’m the chairman of the board, I’m talking to the stockholders telling them here’s how we’re gonna do at the end of the quarter. I’m selling this thing, and I’m not delivering the goods, which is championships. You’ve got to face the criticism. I’m sorry, but he’s not my kind of coach. I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again.”

Boom..........

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Terry Bradshaw:

Well the Steelers organization, the same organization that employed Noll thinks Tomlin is an elite coach. But hell what do they know, we should listen to a great football mind like Bradshaw because if there is one thing Bradshaw knows about it's how to coach a football a team in this era of the NFL, am I right?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wizard View Post
    Well the Steelers organization, the same organization that employed Noll thinks Tomlin is an elite coach. But hell what do they know, we should listen to a great football mind like Bradshaw because if there is one thing Bradshaw knows about it's how to coach a football a team in this era of the NFL, am I right?
    Terry talks out of both sides of his mouth. He hated Noll. I know this is “blasphemy” in Steeler land but Noll won the draft lottery. That is why he found so much success. Second, a guy like Noll couldn’t handle today’s player. His style wouldn’t work. Different era, different time, talent wouldn’t buy in. There is a balance that must had with this generation of player in this era of FA. Players have power now unlike those in the late 70s who were paid peanuts and didn’t have the ability to market themselves. Sorry Terry, your comments show your ignorance.

With that said, I don’t defend Tomlin and how he handles franchise players. I don’t believe in players being held to different standards. I believe expectations should be uniform. Leaders should lead by example. That includes your franchise players. That’s ESPECIALLY your franchise players. That’s the environment you create. Do I fault Tomlin for this mess? Absolutely. Do I believe he can right this ship? I hope so, and I think recent moves are headed in the right direction. Time will tell.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Second, a guy like Noll couldn’t handle today’s player. His style wouldn’t work. Different era, different time, talent wouldn’t buy in. There is a balance that must had with this generation of player in this era of FA.
    I get what you're saying but I don't know that it wouldn't work. I don't think Belichick has much of a balance with players. It's his way or the highway.

Not long ago, Tom Coughlin won rings with a no nonsense style.

Players will buy in to pretty much anything if they're paid and if they're winning. Things go awry when either or both of those are missing.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    I get what you're saying but I don't know that it wouldn't work. I don't think Belichick has much of a balance with players. It's his way or the highway.

Not long ago, Tom Coughlin won rings with a no nonsense style.

Players will buy in to pretty much anything if they're paid and if they're winning. Things go awry when either or both of those are missing.
    Pretty sure Coughlin relaxed his no nonsense approach before that second ring.

He said if he was going to get fired he would have fun during his last season.

They ended up winning a SB.

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...ticle-1.277749

But there seems little doubt that the Giants would not be getting fitted for their rings this week if Coughlin didn't make some serious changes to his approach last season.
    His kinder and softer approach around his players seemed contrived at first, then very natural. He knew he was on the shortest of leashes. Ownership had given him a no-confidence one-year extension. And he revealed Wednesday that his mentality was that if he was going down, he was going to enjoy the ride.

He surely knew that if the Giants fired him, ending a chaotic four-year run, that it was not very likely he would ever get another NFL head coaching job. If anything, he would have to return to college.
    So he said he took this approach going into 2007: "If this is the last year I am going to coach, I'm going to have fun with it. I'm going to enjoy it. I'm going to enjoy the players. I'm going to extend to them in a way I think they can understand that I do have great appreciation for what their jobs are, what their roles are."

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Terry talks out of both sides of his mouth. He hated Noll. I know this is “blasphemy” in Steeler land but Noll won the draft lottery. That is why he found so much success. Second, a guy like Noll couldn’t handle today’s player. His style wouldn’t work. Different era, different time, talent wouldn’t buy in. There is a balance that must had with this generation of player in this era of FA. Players have power now unlike those in the late 70s who were paid peanuts and didn’t have the ability to market themselves. Sorry Terry, your comments show your ignorance.

With that said, I don’t defend Tomlin and how he handles franchise players. I don’t believe in players being held to different standards. I believe expectations should be uniform. Leaders should lead by example. That includes your franchise players. That’s ESPECIALLY your franchise players. That’s the environment you create. Do I fault Tomlin for this mess? Absolutely. Do I believe he can right this ship? I hope so, and I think recent moves are headed in the right direction. Time will tell.
    Can you explain what you mean by uniform expectations?

I don't see how you could actually do that in practice.

Do vets still get to have days off to try to keep them healthier for the rest of the season?

If Sutton Smith or Big Red have an idea for what the game plan should be, do their voices have as much weight as Ben's?

I don't see how you could have a functional team if everyone is treated equally.