Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Mike Tomlin get an extension before the 2019 regular season kicks off?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    I get what you're saying but I don't know that it wouldn't work. I don't think Belichick has much of a balance with players. It's his way or the highway.

Not long ago, Tom Coughlin won rings with a no nonsense style.

Players will buy in to pretty much anything if they're paid and if they're winning. Things go awry when either or both of those are missing.
    Pretty sure Coughlin relaxed his no nonsense approach before that second ring.

He said if he was going to get fired he would have fun during his last season.

They ended up winning a SB.

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...ticle-1.277749

But there seems little doubt that the Giants would not be getting fitted for their rings this week if Coughlin didn't make some serious changes to his approach last season.
    His kinder and softer approach around his players seemed contrived at first, then very natural. He knew he was on the shortest of leashes. Ownership had given him a no-confidence one-year extension. And he revealed Wednesday that his mentality was that if he was going down, he was going to enjoy the ride.

He surely knew that if the Giants fired him, ending a chaotic four-year run, that it was not very likely he would ever get another NFL head coaching job. If anything, he would have to return to college.
    So he said he took this approach going into 2007: "If this is the last year I am going to coach, I'm going to have fun with it. I'm going to enjoy it. I'm going to enjoy the players. I'm going to extend to them in a way I think they can understand that I do have great appreciation for what their jobs are, what their roles are."

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    Pretty sure Coughlin relaxed his no nonsense approach before that second ring.

He said if he was going to get fired he would have fun during his last season.

They ended up winning a SB.
    Right. And they won a ring with his old style too. And Belichick never changes his style.

I think Belichick proves that you don't need a warm, fuzzy, players-coach to win in today's league.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    Right. And they won a ring with his old style too. And Belichick never changes his style.

I think Belichick proves that you don't need a warm, fuzzy, players-coach to win in today's league.
    Looks at the last 3 times Belichick did not come home with the trophy, though.

Doug Pederson wasn't a hard-ass coach when Philly won following the 2017 season.

Gary Kubiak wasn't a hard-ass coach when Denver won following the 2015 season.

Pete Carroll wasn't a hard-ass coach when Seattle won following the 2013 season.

Many different types of coaches can be successful in this league.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

who knows....I would extend with the same timeline as Ben if they do.....he is on a short time period to turn things around and then he is gone, if not able to....

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I certainly hope they do just to watch the haters explode. However they should be joyful that they can perpetuate their same old diatribes for years to come.
    you would certainly know since you are the king of the diatribe horse beatings.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sword View Post
    who knows....I would extend with the same timeline as Ben if they do.....he is on a short time period to turn things around and then he is gone, if not able to....
    ^^^agree with the Sword on this one...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sword View Post
    Edit; I think I read this wrong.

If you mean short extensions I agree.
    Last edited by Oh wow; 05-08-2019 at 01:00 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Tim Benz: Reevaluating Mike Tomlin’s contract situation with Steelers

TIM BENZ | Wednesday, May 8, 2019

The real world says, “I’m changing my mind, n’at.”

Trolls on Twitter say, “You’re flip-flopping.”

However you choose to phrase it, I’m altering my view on Mike Tomlin’s contract situation based on some new information.

That’s allowed, by the way.

Tomlin has two years remaining on his deal. That’s when the Steelers normally extend head coaches. They attempted to do so with Bill Cowher after the 2005 Super Bowl. It didn’t work out. He coached one more year then retired.

In January, Art Rooney II put off any talk of an extension for Tomlin. He said: “Those things we’ll get to sort of later in the offseason. We’ll cross that bridge when we come to it.”

If we are talking bridges, Tomlin’s 2018 club caused far too many Steelers fans to consider leaping off one of the many available in Western Pennsylvania.

So once 2018 ended, I wrote that I was against a Tomlin extension. But I wasn’t going to fret about it because, well, it’s just Rooney’s money. And who cares? He has plenty of it.

It’s not as if Tomlin getting a contract extension does anything to the salary cap. But it might do something to Rooney’s sensibilities if he guarantees Tomlin a heap of cash on a new deal then feels the need to eat it upon an urge to fire him.

Previously, I didn’t think the sticker shock would ever prevent Rooney from making a football decision based on his coach.

Now, I’m not so sure.

According to a post in The Athletic on Tuesday, Tomlin makes $7 million per year now and will likely settle for no less than $9 million per year on an extension.

Even by NFL owner bottomless-pocket standards, we are getting into commitment-level numbers as you approach eight figures for a head coach. Granted, Tomlin probably would get another job quickly. And offset language may come into play to mitigate concerns.

Keep in mind, though, amid the myriad big-picture issues surrounding Antonio Brown’s situation, the matter of his comparatively minor $2.5 million roster bonus was constantly in play during discussions.

A one-and-done season for Tomlin on a new deal could extend well beyond that figure depending on the circumstances by which Tomlin is shoved out.

The danger comes into play if 2019 is a 4-12 kind of disaster from which Tomlin simply can’t return.

Then what?

Especially if Tomlin has $20 million-plus in new money looming. I guess I always knew that this was the monopoly money we were considering. But when you get into Bill Belichick territory — the story in The Athletic says he’s the top-paid coach at $12 million per year and no one else is paid more than $9 million — that seems to be a reality check.

Saying that Tomlin, with just three playoff victories since the 2010 AFC Championship Game, should be the second-highest paid coach in the NFL seems disproportionate.

Again, it’s Rooney’s plenty-porky piggy bank to use as he likes. So if he feels like security, continuity and consistency are that important to him, go ahead and sign the extension with two years left as he normally does.

I’d argue against it, though. The Steelers fan base is hungry, and it’s time for Tomlin to sing for his supper.

As we’ve established, if Tomlin hits the right notes, Rooney can afford to pony up next summer before his “lame duck” year.

What’s Tomlin going to do otherwise? Retire — and stay retired — like Cowher? Unlikely. And Belichick’s contract will always be an artificial cap, anyway.

So even after a potential Super Bowl win, it’s not as if Tomlin could write his own ticket.

The Steelers have done a lot of things this offseason that have deviated from the norms of their business practices.

• They traded up in the draft to select Devin Bush.

• They dismissed stars in the name of locker room continuity.

• A mediocre cornerback, Steven Nelson, got the largest free agent contract in team history.

Now it’s time to do something else differently. The team doesn’t have to extend its coach with two years remaining just because that’s what it has always done.

Especially at the price tag we are discussing.

https://triblive.com/sports/tim-benz...with-steelers/

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Many different types of coaches can be successful in this league.
    Agree. My only point was in response to Shawn saying, "a guy like Noll couldn’t handle today’s player." To that, I don't agree.

I think Belichick is the perfect example of that not necessarily being true. Belichick is very Noll-like (Except for the cheating).

Legend

User Info Menu

Why, will it cost more if they dont extend him?