Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Mike Tomlin get an extension before the 2019 regular season kicks off?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Imaginary wins and losses?? Talk about denying the facts!!! Please see my signature below..those are not "imaginary" they are tangible and can easily be verified. It's amazing how you select few ignore his playoff success (or lack there of) for the last 8 (going on 9) years.
    I’m talking about when his contract extensions were given in the past.

I know you don’t want to use facts because then it hinders our ability to book and joker laugh in your post but it’s pretty ridiculous to go on and on BEFORE those dates pass.

If Tomlin gets an extension this year (he still has 2 years left) around the same time in July or August it makes you like crazier than you already look based on the facts presented regarding when his extension takes place.

No one is disputing his record the last 8 years but he has been extended 3 times during those 8 years.

You can’t point to your facts about his record and then ignore the facts of when he receives his extensions.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Boom.......
    Are you supposed to "Boom" yourself?

Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 06-18-2019 at 04:14 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Please.....

Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games in the last 8 years and last year he didn't make the playoffs. So the circumstances and the cross roads this team is at right now, is different from all those previous references. There has been a pattern established by Tomlin of not being able to win in the playoffs now.

You having to go back and grab previous extension periods is a weak, weak argument. Your making "Don Shula " arguments; just like I said you'd be doing. "Well he won us two super bowls in the 70's so we need to give him an extention in 1992." HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

But, considering WHO started THAT point, it has to be weak. From Mr. "Conner is only a back up RB" HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Still running behind me on all threads. Wow.
    I'm pretty sure you'll deflect this, but I'll try anyway.

Saints coach Sean Peyton (who has almost the same resume as Tomlin) missed the playoffs in 4 of 5 years (2012, 14, 15, 16). In all those years they missed, he had HoF hopeful Drew Brees at QB throwing an average of about 5,000 yards and maybe 33 TDs.

In that 5 year period, he won one playoff game. And it was against the Lions, so it could easily be discount by posters on the internet.

You [Maniac] certainly would have fired Peyton after that, right (likely before it ever came to that)? If not, can you explain why you'd apply a different evaluation criteria to Peyton?

Then in the next two years, he's coached a team to one bye, and two playoff wins. He went to an NFCC and should have been in the SB this year.

Given this information on a similar coach, can you please explain to me why you think we should evaluate coaches that have established long term track records of success based on small sample sizes? Or why you think a good to great coach who has struggled in the short term can't get back to being super competitive?
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 06-18-2019 at 04:31 PM.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Don't waste your time.

Clearly this is his wish and it’s not based on anything factual.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

It's not simply about playoff wins for the ownership. The Steelers made the playoffs 8 out of 12 years that Tomlin has been the HC. They probably were a win or two away from making the playoffs in the years they missed the playoffs.

The ownership lives in reality. As long as the team remains competitive and wins consistently I don't see Tomlin going anywhere. When those two factors change I think the organization will move in a different direction.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    It's not simply about playoff wins for the ownership. The Steelers made the playoffs 8 out of 12 years that Tomlin has been the HC. They probably were a win or two away from making the playoffs in the years they missed the playoffs.

The ownership lives in reality. As long as the team remains competitive and wins consistently I don't see Tomlin going anywhere. When those two factors change I think the organization will move in a different direction.
    Burg, got a question, if Tomlin doesn’t get an extension and goes into the season a lame duck coach like Harbaugh did last year, then what does that mean?
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

My official proclamation: WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. SO WHY DELAY THE INEVITABLE?

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

This is on point. Fans hate it but it’s extremely rare for a team with a bunch of SB trophies to fire a head coach to chase one more.

I really don’t see Tomlin leaving until he is ready to retire or find a new challenge.
    Last edited by Oh wow; 06-18-2019 at 07:10 PM.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Burg, got a question, if Tomlin doesn’t get an extension and goes into the season a lame duck coach like Harbaugh did last year, then what does that mean?

Tomlin has 2 years left.

I’ve never heard a coach called a lame duck with 2 years left.

Now if we miss the playoffs and he isn’t extended and has one year left to prove it, then we all know what that means.

I just can’t accept folks trying to turn 2 years left on a contract into a prove it or lose it scenario.

I was duped into thinking this was his last year due to the chatter but this is a non story until next August if he isn’t extended.

Legend

User Info Menu

And those that doubt this reality ought to catch "The Chief" on Netflix if they get the chance. Great little movie about Art Rooney, his background, his life, his relationship with the team, as told by Tom Atkins playing AR. You'll get an understanding of how the philosophy of Steeler ownership developed.

Legend

User Info Menu

Tomlin still has two years left on his contract, he won't be a lame duck coach if we don't renew him this season.

personally, I don't see the rush. let's see how things go first and we can always try to re-sign Tomlin with one more year left on his contract if we want...