Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: Will Mike Tomlin get an extension before the 2019 regular season kicks off?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Bradshaw was acting like he needed medication those years; he boycotted Noll's funeral..now he praises Noll. Wouldn't be surprised down the line that we find out that he's been on something.
    Terry has been very open about his battles with depression and anxiety, and taking Paxil to help deal with that now.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    When does Colbert's contract end? I wouldn't be surprised they all retire at the same time.
    By Mike Florio
    Jul 26, 2019, 10:53 AM EDT
    Kevin Colbert inches toward G.M. free agency

The Steelers unquestionably have become excellent at finding talent. The man primarily responsible for doing so could be taking his talents elsewhere next year.

G.M. Kevin Colbert’s contract runs through the 2020 draft. As explained by Ed Bouchette of TheAthletic.com, Colbert didn’t get an extension on the same day coach Mike Tomlin received his latest new deal. Bouchette adds that Colbert has told the team he prefers to go year to year.

That approach gives both sides flexibility; the Steelers can move on with minimal financial cost, and Colbert can walk away for a better offer or a change of scenery.

It’s hard to imagine either side wanting one. Colbert, who perhaps doesn’t get the credit he deserves because he’s quiet and understated, has done a great job for the Steelers. And Pittsburgh seems to be the perfect place for him.

Unless, of course, for Steelers minority owner David Tepper is thinking about making Colbert an offer he can’t refused in order to lure him to Charlotte.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Thursday, Jul 25, 2019 12:00 PM

Steelers extend Tomlin's contract

Teresa Varley

Steelers.com

Stability.

In sports it’s something that doesn’t come easily.

For the Steelers, it’s a staple.

That became evident again today when Coach Mike Tomlin was signed to a one-year extension, keeping him through at least the 2021 season.

“I am pleased to announce we have extended Mike Tomlin’s contract through the 2021 season,” said Steelers President Art Rooney II. “Mike is one of the most successful head coaches in the National Football League, and we are confident in his leadership to continue to lead our team as we pursue our goal of winning another championship.”

Tomlin, who was hired on January 22, 2007, will be entering his 13th season as the Steelers head coach. He is only the third coach the team has had since 1969, joining Chuck Noll and Bill Cowher on that exclusive list.

“I am very appreciative of this contract extension and opportunity and want to thank Art Rooney II and everyone in the organization for the support in my first 12 seasons,” said Tomlin. “We have a goal of winning the organization’s seventh Super Bowl championship, and I couldn’t be more excited about this upcoming season.”

Tomlin, 47, has guided the Steelers to two Super Bowl appearances. He became the youngest coach in NFL history to not only lead his team to the Super Bowl, but also win it when the Steelers defeated the Arizona Cardinals, 27-23, in Super Bowl XLIII.

The Steelers have won six AFC North Division titles under Tomlin. Under his guidance the Steelers have made the playoffs eight times and played in the Super Bowl twice, Super Bowl XLIII and Super Bowl XLV.

In the regular season Tomlin has led the Steelers to a 125-66-1 record in 12 seasons, reaching 100 career wins in the fewest games (157) in team history and the best start by a coach in team history. He joined Noll and Cowher as the third coach in Steelers history to reach 100 regular season wins, and the Steelers became the first franchise in NFL history to have three different head coaches reach that 100-win milestone. He also became the eighth head coach in NFL history to win 100 games (regular season) in their first 10 seasons.

Tomlin and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger have set a Steelers record with 115 regular season wins, the most ever by a head coach-quarterback combination in team history. They broke the record set by Chuck Noll and Terry Bradshaw. The 115 wins are the fourth-most by a head coach-quarterback duo in the NFL.

https://www.steelers.com/news/steelers-extend-tomlin-s-contract
    LMAO...all the haters saying this wouldn't happen. I guess all the noise now is the goal posts being moved to try to turn this into a negative.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    By Mike Florio
    Jul 26, 2019, 10:53 AM EDT
    Kevin Colbert inches toward G.M. free agency

The Steelers unquestionably have become excellent at finding talent. The man primarily responsible for doing so could be taking his talents elsewhere next year.

G.M. Kevin Colbert’s contract runs through the 2020 draft. As explained by Ed Bouchette of TheAthletic.com, Colbert didn’t get an extension on the same day coach Mike Tomlin received his latest new deal. Bouchette adds that Colbert has told the team he prefers to go year to year.

That approach gives both sides flexibility; the Steelers can move on with minimal financial cost, and Colbert can walk away for a better offer or a change of scenery.

It’s hard to imagine either side wanting one. Colbert, who perhaps doesn’t get the credit he deserves because he’s quiet and understated, has done a great job for the Steelers. And Pittsburgh seems to be the perfect place for him.

Unless, of course, for Steelers minority owner David Tepper is thinking about making Colbert an offer he can’t refused in order to lure him to Charlotte.
    Gerry Dulac
    @gerrydulac

Team president Art Rooney II said it was Kevin Colbert's decision to wait till after the season to decide on his future.

https://twitter.com/gerrydulac

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    LMAO...all the haters saying this wouldn't happen. I guess all the noise now is the goal posts being moved to try to turn this into a negative.
    Yep I guess all the talk about ownership being tired of Tomlin and that Tomlin lost the team was just a bunch of nonsense.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wizard View Post
    Yep I guess all the talk about ownership being tired of Tomlin and that Tomlin lost the team was just a bunch of nonsense.
    Like I've said, I think Tomlin is here for as long as he wants to be. He has the support of the Rooneys, and, short of Tomlin being charged with some kind of major crime, I look for that to continue.

However, that doesn't mean Tomlin did a stellar job with the team last season, nor that he's been particularly good in the playoffs for a number of years.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wizard View Post
    Especially since it was pointed out how we don’t extend him until late July or August.

Banned

User Info Menu

Last edited by Steel Maniac; 07-28-2019 at 02:54 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Report: Some Steelers minority owners didn’t want to extend Mike Tomlin

Posted by Mike Florio on July 29, 2019

The Steelers’ minority owners periodically huff and puff, but they lack the ability to blow anyone’s house down.

As it relates to the recent contract extension given to coach Mike Tomlin, Ed Bouchette of TheAthletic.com reports that some were opposed to it.

Owner Art Rooney II nevertheless extended Tomlin through 2021, with a team option for 2022. It means that Tomlin would have a two-year buyout, if the Steelers were to decide after the season to make a change.

It’s not the first time that members of minority ownership have made their voices heard regarding Tomlin. In early 2018, PFT reported that some of the minority owners wanted Rooney to fire Tomlin after a disappointing playoff exit capping a season in which questions were raised about flaws with discipline and situational football.

The fact that the minority owners didn’t want Tomlin to get an extension obviously didn’t prevent it from happening. As Bouchette observed in response to our report regarding the push to get Tomlin fired, Rooney will not be listening to what folks with no actual power over the organization have to say, even if they technically own a piece of it.

“It’s beyond ludicrous for one or a few minority owners to even think they have enough influence to persuade Rooney to can Tomlin,” Bouchette said. Thus, it’s also beyond ludicrous for one or a few minority owners to even think they have enough influence to persuade Rooney to not give Tomlin a new contract.

Still, they have an opinion — and even if the opinion of those minority owners conflicts with the will of the majority owner, it meshes with the mood of the fan base, especially when the team is perceived to be underachieving.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...d-mike-tomlin/

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

You can’t always get what you want.