Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Mike Tomlin get an extension before the 2019 regular season kicks off?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    Belichick is very Noll-like (Except for the cheating).
    In his autobiography, Mean Joe Greene told a story about Chuck Noll. A staffer apparently found an Oilers' playbook that one of Houston's players or coaches left behind at their team hotel. In a team meeting in preparation for that week's game against the Oilers, he showed the team the book containing all of Houston's plays and game plans for that week's game vs. the Steelers. But he told them he wasn't going to even open it, because that's not how we do things.around here. He said that they were going to prepare as usual, line up against them on the field that Sunday, and just do what we do. Then Coach Noll threw the playbook in the trash and simply walked away.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Terry talks out of both sides of his mouth. He hated Noll. I know this is “blasphemy” in Steeler land but Noll won the draft lottery. That is why he found so much success. Second, a guy like Noll couldn’t handle today’s player. His style wouldn’t work. Different era, different time, talent wouldn’t buy in. There is a balance that must had with this generation of player in this era of FA. Players have power now unlike those in the late 70s who were paid peanuts and didn’t have the ability to market themselves. Sorry Terry, your comments show your ignorance.

With that said, I don’t defend Tomlin and how he handles franchise players. I don’t believe in players being held to different standards. I believe expectations should be uniform. Leaders should lead by example. That includes your franchise players. That’s ESPECIALLY your franchise players. That’s the environment you create. Do I fault Tomlin for this mess? Absolutely. Do I believe he can right this ship? I hope so, and I think recent moves are headed in the right direction. Time will tell.
    Can you explain what you mean by uniform expectations?

I don't see how you could actually do that in practice.

Do vets still get to have days off to try to keep them healthier for the rest of the season?

If Sutton Smith or Big Red have an idea for what the game plan should be, do their voices have as much weight as Ben's?

I don't see how you could have a functional team if everyone is treated equally.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    Can you explain what you mean by uniform expectations?

I don't see how you could actually do that in practice.

Do vets still get to have days off to try to keep them healthier for the rest of the season?

If Sutton Smith or Big Red have an idea for what the game plan should be, do their voices have as much weight as Ben's?

I don't see how you could have a functional team if everyone is treated equally.
    I don’t think you can treat everyone the same. Especially when one player is paid base salary and another is paid 28 mill per year.

However, I think you can still hold all the players to a lot of the same rules.

Ben or AB should get chewed or the same way a rookie would if they make a boneheaded mistake.

But I also think there is a bit of hazing that goes on with rookies to get them acclimated to the way the NFL operates that you don’t have to do with vets.

Legend

User Info Menu

Dunlap: Why The Rush With Tomlin?

MAY 08, 2019

PITTSBURGH (93.7 The Fan) - Letís get this out of the way right now: Iím a Big Mike Tomlin fan.

Yep. I wonít hide it at all. Big, big Coach T fan.

I like what heís done with the franchise and I think the whole ďhe needs to have more controlĒ narrative is incredibly overblown. In short, if he ran a tighter ship, I donít necessarily think that would equate to more wins.

It actually might equate to fewer, to be honest.

And I think --- as with any NFL fanbase --- there is a large contingent of people who complain for the sake of complaining. It feels like the smallest Tomlin error or gripe is built up, explodes in Vesuvius form and is made out by some to be something that the Steelers will never be able to overcome.

But I get it --- thatís what fans do. Thatís what fans that really care do.

All that said, I will acknowledge something very real, pressing and timely: There should be absolutely no rush to give Mike Tomlin a new contract or contract extension right now.

I heard veteran Steelers writer Ed Bouchette on 93.7 The Fan the other day talking about how heís now of the idea Tomlinís extension will come sooner rather than later --- that he and the team will hammer something out before the beginning of the 2019 season.

To that I ask, ďWhy the rush?Ē

Why is there this apparent urgency to come to some sort of agreement?

You see, Tomlin has a current contract that runs through the end of the 2020 season, essentially under agreement to coach this coming season and the next one.

With the Steelers missing the playoffs last season and being embarrassingly bounced out of the 2017 postseason by the Jacksonville Jaguars, Iím failing to understand why it wouldnít be prudent to have Tomlin sing for his supper a little bit right now.

This is an important time for the Steelers and Tomlin and sometimes the best decision is, well, no decision at all.

The Steelers, to me at least, are stuck in a dangerous ďthatís the way weíve always done itĒ rut wherein their common business practice would be to re-up a coach with two seasons remaining on his contract.

Itís one thing to adhere to tradition --- itís quite another to become antiquated.

It is yet still another thing to be inflexible depending on variables. Iím here to tell you the Steelersí policy (or at least history) is both antiquated and they are acting as if they cannot act in another way. In addition, these variables are different as the Steelers have been unsuccessful in the playoffs as of late --- which is very uncharacteristic.

The solution here is simple: Do nothing.

It is perfectly OK for Mike Tomlin to experience a bit of an uncomfortable time as it could even serve to thrust him to do a better job.

Thatís exactly why I propose the Steelers sit on their hands and have Tomlin coach this coming season with two years remaining on his contract, see how he does and then go from there.

Whatís he going to do? Quit? Retire? Tank?

And if he does, the Steelers arenít Avella or Mapletown High School --- Iím sure they will have no problem finding a very, very, very qualified football coach to lead their organization. After all, again, they are the Pittsburgh Steelers. The crest itself will draw the best coaching candidates football has to offer.

But Tomlin wouldnít quit if he werenít offered an extension or new contract --- he might not be happy; but he wouldnít quit. Thatís why I say you send him into the 2019 season under his current contract.

In a crazy way, it might serve to motivate him to do a better job. ​

https://937thefan.radio.com/articles...hy-rush-tomlin

Legend

User Info Menu

We'll see.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (An 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

My official proclamation: WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. So why delay the inevitable?

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If I was forced to bet $1,000, I would bet they extend Tomlin. I will be very surprised if they don't.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    If I was forced to bet $1,000, I would bet they extend Tomlin. I will be very surprised if they don't.
    I think it's something Colbert & Tomlin have already discussed regardless of the direction they go.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (An 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

My official proclamation: WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. So why delay the inevitable?

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    In his autobiography, Mean Joe Greene told a story about Chuck Noll. A staffer apparently found an Oilers' playbook that one of Houston's players or coaches left behind at their team hotel. In a team meeting in preparation for that week's game against the Oilers, he showed the team the book containing all of Houston's plays and game plans for that week's game vs. the Steelers. But he told them he wasn't going to even open it, because that's not how we do things.around here. He said that they were going to prepare as usual, line up against them on the field that Sunday, and just do what we do. Then Coach Noll threw the playbook in the trash and simply walked away.
    Good story. Shows that in one aspect at least, Noll was a lot different from Belicheat.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    I think it's something Colbert & Tomlin have already discussed regardless of the direction they go.
    Negotiations to extend Tomlin's contract as head coach would be done with Rooney, not Colbert.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Good story. Shows that in one aspect at least, Noll was a lot different from Belicheat.
    To be fair, the story is only about what Noll said to the team.

Green could be telling the truth but Noll could have gone through the book before the team meeting.

No reason to believe Noll lied, but no reason to believe he was telling the truth either.