Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 97

Thread: Will Mike Tomlin get an extension before the 2019 regular season kicks off?

  1. #1
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Will Mike Tomlin get an extension before the 2019 regular season kicks off?

    Brian Batko's Steelers chat transcript: 5.7.19

    BRIAN BATKO
    Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

    SteelerInIowa
    : Will Mike Tomlin get an extension before the 2019 regular season kicks off?

    Brian Batko: I'm saying ... yes.

    https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/201905070117

  2. #2
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Bouchette: Tomlin Likely To Get Contract Extension

    'They think he’s a good coach, they want to keep him'


    MAY 07, 2019

    PITTSBURGH (93.7 The Fan) - The Steelers have some decisions coming up when it comes to contracts, both players and coaches.

    Fan Steelers Insider Ed Bouchette of The Athletic says General Manager Kevin Colbert is in the last year of his current contract and that he is hearing that at 62-years-old, Colbert will be taking it “year to year”.

    “When he does leave he wants to make sure (the Steelers) are in good shape . . .I don’t know how long Kevin is going to keep going,” said Bouchette.

    Bouchette also believes Coach Mike Tomlin will soon get a contract extension and event thought he want as much as a Sean Payton the Steelers will probably give it to him.

    “I don’t think money is going to be an issue with his contract, I really don’t,” said Bouchette. “If they’re paying him $7 million now, I can see them going up to $9 (million).”

    Bouchette adds the Steelers still think Tomlin is an elite coach.

    “They think he’s a good coach, they want to keep him,” said Bouchette. “He would get another job in a second, they’ve cleaned out the clubhouse if you will a little bit and it’s a new beginning so I can see them extending (Tomlin).”

    When it comes to the players on the field Bouchette questions on if cornerback Artie Burns will still be a Steeler when Training Camp comes around.

    “They have to decide going into Training Camp because once he is on the roster at the start of Training Camp they have to give him $800,000 as a roster bonus so I think they have a decision to make there as well whether to even bring him to training camp,” said Bouchette.

    https://937thefan.radio.com/articles...ract-extension

  3. #3
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    I'm guessing he will be extended before the start of the season. I don't know that the Rooneys would fire him even if they weren't happy with the job he is doing (as long as they're making big money).

  4. #4
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Terry Bradshaw:

    “I played for a tough sucker, and I was afraid of him, and we played our ass off for him because we feared him,” Bradshaw said of his coach, Chuck Noll. “I don’t see that with this guy. He’s chest bumping and all that. I’m the head of the corporation, I’m the CEO, I’m the chairman of the board, I’m talking to the stockholders telling them here’s how we’re gonna do at the end of the quarter. I’m selling this thing, and I’m not delivering the goods, which is championships. You’ve got to face the criticism. I’m sorry, but he’s not my kind of coach. I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again.”

    https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/09/nfl...shaw-criticism

  5. #5
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Terry Bradshaw:

    “I played for a tough sucker, and I was afraid of him, and we played our ass off for him because we feared him,” Bradshaw said of his coach, Chuck Noll. “I don’t see that with this guy. He’s chest bumping and all that. I’m the head of the corporation, I’m the CEO, I’m the chairman of the board, I’m talking to the stockholders telling them here’s how we’re gonna do at the end of the quarter. I’m selling this thing, and I’m not delivering the goods, which is championships. You’ve got to face the criticism. I’m sorry, but he’s not my kind of coach. I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again.”

    https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/09/nfl...shaw-criticism
    Boom..........
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

  6. #6
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    I think they will extend him because I think having a lame duck coach is not a recipe for success.

    They could always fire him if they wanted to. No cap ramifications

  7. #7
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Terry Bradshaw:

    “I played for a tough sucker, and I was afraid of him, and we played our ass off for him because we feared him,” Bradshaw said of his coach, Chuck Noll. “I don’t see that with this guy. He’s chest bumping and all that. I’m the head of the corporation, I’m the CEO, I’m the chairman of the board, I’m talking to the stockholders telling them here’s how we’re gonna do at the end of the quarter. I’m selling this thing, and I’m not delivering the goods, which is championships. You’ve got to face the criticism. I’m sorry, but he’s not my kind of coach. I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again.”

    https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/09/nfl...shaw-criticism
    Well the Steelers organization, the same organization that employed Noll thinks Tomlin is an elite coach. But hell what do they know, we should listen to a great football mind like Bradshaw because if there is one thing Bradshaw knows about it's how to coach a football a team in this era of the NFL, am I right?

  8. #8
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wizard View Post
    Well the Steelers organization, the same organization that employed Noll thinks Tomlin is an elite coach. But hell what do they know, we should listen to a great football mind like Bradshaw because if there is one thing Bradshaw knows about it's how to coach a football a team in this era of the NFL, am I right?
    Terry talks out of both sides of his mouth. He hated Noll. I know this is “blasphemy” in Steeler land but Noll won the draft lottery. That is why he found so much success. Second, a guy like Noll couldn’t handle today’s player. His style wouldn’t work. Different era, different time, talent wouldn’t buy in. There is a balance that must had with this generation of player in this era of FA. Players have power now unlike those in the late 70s who were paid peanuts and didn’t have the ability to market themselves. Sorry Terry, your comments show your ignorance.

    With that said, I don’t defend Tomlin and how he handles franchise players. I don’t believe in players being held to different standards. I believe expectations should be uniform. Leaders should lead by example. That includes your franchise players. That’s ESPECIALLY your franchise players. That’s the environment you create. Do I fault Tomlin for this mess? Absolutely. Do I believe he can right this ship? I hope so, and I think recent moves are headed in the right direction. Time will tell.

  9. #9
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Second, a guy like Noll couldn’t handle today’s player. His style wouldn’t work. Different era, different time, talent wouldn’t buy in. There is a balance that must had with this generation of player in this era of FA.
    I get what you're saying but I don't know that it wouldn't work. I don't think Belichick has much of a balance with players. It's his way or the highway.

    Not long ago, Tom Coughlin won rings with a no nonsense style.

    Players will buy in to pretty much anything if they're paid and if they're winning. Things go awry when either or both of those are missing.

  10. #10
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    I certainly hope they do just to watch the haters explode. However they should be joyful that they can perpetuate their same old diatribes for years to come.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •