Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cuckoo Bird Brown already miffed at Raiders

Legend

User Info Menu

Antonio Brown not present for start of Raiders' OTAs

By Kevin Patra
    Around the NFL Writer
    Published: May 21, 2019

Antonio Brown was not spotted at the start of Oakland Raiders voluntary organized team activities.

The superstar receiver wasn't on the field with teammates for Tuesday's voluntary session, as NFL Network's MJ Acosta reported.

Brown had been a participant in previous portions of the team's voluntary offseason workouts.

"He's not here today; hopefully, we'll see him in the next couple days," Raiders head coach Jon Gruden told reporters Tuesday. "He's been working extremely hard learning our offense and really excited to get him out here, but in the meantime we have plenty of balls to throw and plenty of receivers to throw to."

Plenty of players -- from Tom Brady to Julio Jones to Le'Veon Bell, etc. -- exercise their right to skip voluntary workouts, even as clubs move into team-drill portions of workouts with the start of OTAs. Given Brown's offseason, which brought a battle with the Pittsburgh Steelers, a trade to Oakland and a new contract, his absence from voluntary sessions is notable.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...f-raiders-otas

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    [B]Raiders head coach Jon Gruden told reporters Tuesday " . . . . . . but in the meantime we have plenty of balls to throw and plenty of receivers to throw to."
    Careful what you say Gruden. We can tell you from experience, these are the exact kinds of words that get nutjob Big Chest to spazz out.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Perfection!

Cute - Cute (but somewhat creepy due to the beard)

Accurate (no photoshop skills needed at all) - Cute

Cute - Cute
    Was photoshop used on Mahomes ? Lol

Legend

User Info Menu

Two Face

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Although they will never man up and admit they are wrong, the Tomlin haters are going to have to at least give him begrudging credit for how long he managed the egos and issues of Brown and Bell. Their new teams can't seem to handle them for 2 months.

Tomlin is an excellent leader in today's NFL and we are fortunate to have him.
    i don't see that happening. instead, he'll be blamed for allowing those egos to inflate as they did. Moreover, "why did HE draft them?" (they'll say)
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    i don't see that happening. instead, he'll be blamed for allowing those egos to inflate as they did.

Seems to me a good argument could be made that if he hadn't treated them the way he did when they were younger, if he hadn't allowed such a different standard for his stars (late for meetings, skipping meetings and walkthroughs, staying at home during tc, etc.), they might not have become the problem they became (especially Brown).

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Seems to me a good argument could be made that if he hadn't treated them the way he did when they were younger, if he hadn't allowed such a different standard for his stars (late for meetings, skipping meetings and walkthroughs, staying at home during tc, etc.), they might not have become the problem they became (especially Brown).
    Thatís not a good argument. Cowher was often used as a good example of a strict coach and he couldnít get Ben to stay off a motorcycle or keep Hines from going to the media to air out Ben for his injury.

I think unless a coach is also a GM he doesnít have enough power to keep egos in check.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    Thatís not a good argument. Cowher was often used as a good example of a strict coach and he couldnít get Ben to stay off a motorcycle or keep Hines from going to the media to air out Ben for his injury.

I think unless a coach is also a GM he doesnít have enough power to keep egos in check.
    I really don't think Cowher is a good example to use...I mean he got so fed up at the end he kinda checked out mentally in his final season.

I know this will infuriate you so I will use it...Belicheck is a better example to use of a coach dealing with egos

(I am just poking some fun at you, but seriously...anyone I can say I don't think Tomlin handled it well, but I certainly wouldn't suggest Cowher as the example. and frankly, social media wasn't as ubiquitous back then as it is today, thus his job was much easier IMHO.)

brothervad

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Boom........... they blossomed to the ego maniacs that they are now today. They were not this bad initially or Tomlin wouldn’t have been able to handle them back then. Tomlin aloud an environment that coddled them up to be the jerks they are today.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (An 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

My official proclamation: WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. So why delay the inevitable?

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Legend

User Info Menu

If Tomlin's "coddling" environment was so toxic, why didn't guys like Cam Heyward, David DeCastro, Juju Smith-Schuster, T.J. Watt, and various other Steelers also suddenly morph into egomaniac douchebags as well?

Hell, even Le'Veon Bell was entirely professional when he was with the team in the locker room, on the practice field, and in games...his issues were entirely about getting paid...specifically since RB careers are so short comparative to other positions and RB salaries were generally on a significantly lower tier than other positions. I never saw Bell as being some coddled egomaniacal jerk...he may not make the most prudent financial decisions in the world (and his rapping skills certainly leave a lot to be desired), but waiting until he could be an UDFA that was unencumbered by a franchise tag was entirely his prerogative.

Antonio Brown is simply a different beast. He appears to be a mentally unstable outlier. You cannot possibly blame Mike Tomlin for creating the level of mental instability that currently resides within AB's skull.

Some guys are just out there and no coach can redeem them. Aaron Hernandez. Kellen Winslow Jr. Chris Henry. Justin Blackmon. Johnny Manziel. Randy Gregory. Pacman Jones. Vontaze Burfict. I fear that Antonio Brown might be the next guy who might fall in this category.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.