Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: The Winner's Curse and Why Trading Down is the Better Choice

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sword View Post
    I totally, disagree with this post.....if the player is there and the need is there go after him...they didn't trade everything for Bush...They had extra picks so they did correct......
    Yeah...I'm with you on this. Colbert did his homework on the kid and if he's going to make that much of a difference on our defense, it was a good move.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

Starter

User Info Menu

I could see if we gave away our first from next year or something crazy like other teams do to move up into the top 5 but we didn’t give up that much.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    I know that I wasn't necessarily "all-in" on Bush prior to the draft (I was smitten with the other ILB named Devin instead)
    Tuesday, May 07, 2019 06:00 AM

Asked and Answered: May 7

Bob Labriola

Steelers.com

CHRIS MILLER FROM LOS ANGELES, CA: On draft day, as the Steelers were searching for a first-round trade partner, before Denver agreed to trade pick No. 10, what if the Raiders agreed to trade pick No. 4 to the Steelers instead? What would the Steelers have done with suddenly having the option of drafting inside linebacker Devin White or inside linebacker Devin Bush? Did the Steelers not scout White as hard as Bush because they figured at pick No. 20, White would be long gone?

ANSWER: The Steelers ended up with the inside linebacker they wanted, with the top inside linebacker on their board, and the only way they were able to come to the conclusion that Devin Bush was the inside linebacker they wanted was by scouting and evaluating all of the players at the position thoroughly.

https://www.steelers.com/news/asked-and-answered-may-7
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    You can disagree, but you can't argue what the study concludes.
    BUT, a reasonable objection to their analysis is that it averaged all picks across all positions. maybe a deeper look at certain positions or scenarios might lead to a quite different answer.
    As you note, if a team feels thatstrongly about a player being a true difference maker, you make the pick.
    I think they are also looking at metrics like games started and not impact.

By that analysis you might not see the difference between Larry Foote and Troy.

Both important pieces with lots of starts. But I think trading up gives you a better shot at a high impact player.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I think they are also looking at metrics like games started and not impact.

By that analysis you might not see the difference between Larry Foote and Troy.

Both important pieces with lots of starts. But I think trading up gives you a better shot at a high impact player.
    This was a research paper (maybe someone's PhD) too long to post but that I recall they did look at number of pro bowls as a metric as well.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Nope...you can't just dismiss the way the other coaches and team have done because it makes Tomlin look inadequate. It amazes me how you Tomlin supporters disregard what you choose to because it doesn't fit your scenerio.

I gave you coaches and their expertise after someone asked and now their all invalid because it proves my point? Parcells wasn't always in charge of his Defense; Neither was Bellichek when he was head coach. So please, stop. Gzzzzzz.
    Actually, Tomlin support are not the ones “disregarding” anything.
    Bashers disregard any success he has had......and there has been plenty.

If you want to see someone disregarding facts because it doesn’t fit a scenario.......look at yours sig bro.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Actually, Tomlin support are not the ones “disregarding” anything.
    Bashers disregard any success he has had......and there has been plenty.

If you want to see someone disregarding facts because it doesn’t fit a scenario.......look at yours sig bro.
    Naw bro.. those are undeniable facts. But hey, your allowed to believe what you want dude. I’m not worried because it’s all going to come out in the wash. Just relax; it’s going to play itself in this cross roads of a season.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Naw bro.. those are undeniable facts. But hey, your allowed to believe what you want dude. I’m not worried because it’s all going to come out in the wash. Just relax; it’s going to play itself in this cross roads of a season.
    Are you arguing that you don't disregard that Tomlin has the best record of any Steelers coach?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    Are you arguing that you don't disregard that Tomlin has the best record of any Steelers coach?
    Northern my friend, why must you keep asking me the same questions over and over and over again?? Please see my signature...it's about the playoffs. Our legacy is defined by what we do in the playoffs.

Legend

User Info Menu

Northern my friend, why must you keep asking me the same questions over and over and over again?? Please see my signature...it's about the playoffs. Our legacy is defined by what we do in the playoffs.
    Maybe because you never really answered his question

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.