Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Steelers by position: WR. Are we better off?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I hope you are right about Switzer, but I think he is on the bubble. I like him but there is going to be a real push for his position from Eli Rogers and Diontae Spencer
    Hey, I'd rather move Switzer to another team that needs a slot guy then then to cut him. I don't care if it's a 6/7th round pick.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    The thread is about WRs.. However, you inserted yourself into a broader discussion that NB and I were having...

Here's NB's quote that I responded to.... "We have lots of hope on O, not much proven talent." This statement certainly leads one to believe that NB was talking about the overall talent on Offense, not just WR.

Then of course you replied..

If you were speaking specifically of the WR's... you should have stated as much.
    FWIW, I'd like to see at least one more year from Conner so that we know he's not Peyton Hillis. I'd also like to see a season where he doesn't miss significant time with injury (remember how we complained about how Bell was injury prone?).

And while JuJu has been amazing, he'll probably have some period of adjustment going from best WR2 in the league to WR1 on a team without much to strike fear in the hearts of opposing D's with their #2 option (at WR or TE). You can talk about Montcrief's average yards, but in his best season he got about half as many yards as JuJu did last year. DM's a legit NFL receiver, but we've got a big drop off at WR2 vs. the combination of AB and JuJu.

WR talent isn't the most important thing for a team (ask Cap). And in the best case, we'd have been able to free up cap space when we lost one of the best WRs in the league and use that cap space to get better on D. But that's not what happened.

We still might be a team that challenges for the SB. But for that to happen, we need a lot of our gambles this off season to go right (e.g. Nelson, development of year 2 guys [particularly Edmunds & Washington], draft picks [particularly Bush and Johnson], no significant injuries [Ben and JuJu in particular]).

You always need luck to win a SB, I just think we need a bit more than usual. I also think we get a rough first 6 weeks for a team that's going to have to depend on contributions from young guys to be successful.

I'll be pretty excited if we head into the bye at 0.500 or above.

Legend

User Info Menu

No question we need the "Stars to line up" if we are going to win a SB. As you have suggested, lots of factors come into play (young prospects panning out, injuries, etc etc)...
    especially when you have 31 other teams with comparable talent..

In terms of Moncrief, lets see what happens when we have someone other than Blake Bortles throwing to him. I expect a very solid year out of him (especially if JUJU starts pulling double coverage).

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

The thread is about WRs.. However, you inserted yourself into a broader discussion that NB and I were having...

Here's NB's quote that I responded to.... "We have lots of hope on O, not much proven talent." This statement certainly leads one to believe that NB was talking about the overall talent on Offense, not just WR.

Then of course you replied..

If you were speaking specifically of the WR's... you should have stated as much.
    I hear you but I spoke on the players I was specifically talking about. Didnít know I had to be any more specific than what I wrote.

I never brought up Connor as a positive or negative.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Hey, I'd rather move Switzer to another team that needs a slot guy then then to cut him. I don't care if it's a 6/7th round pick.
    Ben and Switzer seem to have built somewhat of a rapport with each other last season, so I think that Eli Rogers would be one that we would ultimately move if CFL import Diontae Spencer earns himself a roster spot (if we felt another team would poach Spencer if he was exposed to the practice squad).

Rumors have it that Rogers earned the nickname "Little AB" over the last few seasons, and if we are moving on from the ultra-productive actual AB in an effort to alter the overall team culture, why would we want to keep around a much less productive "Little AB" who may share some of those similar diva-type personality traits?

Rogers has yet to play a full 16 game schedule, and due to these injury limitations, his production over the last 2 seasons combined (30 catches for 228 yards and 1 TD) is less than what Ryan Switzer got here just last season as a late addition to our roster who was learning the offense on the fly (36 catches for 253 yards and 1 TD). Hell, James Washington even 217 yards receiving and 1 TD last year in what is widely panned as a "disappointing" rookie campaign.

Other teams may see Eli's impressive NFL debut season of 48 catches for 594 yards and 3 TD in 2016 and would be willing to part with a late-round pick next year. Hell, maybe even Oakland would want to add a little AB to their actual AB and we could do a trade of Artie Burns and Eli Rogers for Karl Joseph and a late round pick.

If we traded Rogers, we'd have Juju, Moncrief, Washington, Switzer, and two Diontaes.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

No question we need the "Stars to line up" if we are going to win a SB. As you have suggested, lots of factors come into play (young prospects panning out, injuries, etc etc)...
    especially when you have 31 other teams with comparable talent..

In terms of Moncrief, lets see what happens when we have someone other than Blake Bortles throwing to him. I expect a very solid year out of him (especially if JUJU starts pulling double coverage).
    I hope you're right about Moncrief. He had had some bad QB play (and some time with Luck too).

I think I said this before, but it does seem like we have three gambles going on at WR (Moncrief, Washington, Johnson). It's nice to have more lotto tickets because we don't need them all to hit.

Legend

User Info Menu

Jeremy Fowler
    ESPN Staff Writer

Free agent addition Donte Moncrief has added ‘unbelievable professionalism' to Steelers receiver room, OC Randy Fichtner said.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Jeremy Fowler
    ESPN Staff Writer

Before his team broke for the summer, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin used his media sessions to set a tone for training camp as a true barometer for his team's makeup. Asked about young standouts such as Diontae Johnson, Tomlin pointed out how everyone's seen "really impressive guys out here that disappear in Latrobe, particularly at (wide receiver)." Tomlin later said chemistry and culture can't be judged without adversity. "When you're in a training camp-like setting, and it's highly competitive and physically and mentally challenging, that will be the first real adversity this team sees," he said.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    I hear you but I spoke on the players I was specifically talking about. Didn’t know I had to be any more specific than what I wrote.

I never brought up Connor as a positive or negative.
    you started your post by making reference to Vance McDonald. Just sayin.. if you want to participate in our discussion.. thats fine.. i had a right to ask you about conner.. since you mentioned a TE..and since our discussion was broader than WR.
    Last edited by Ernie; 06-17-2019 at 12:14 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

You said "We have Juju, Vance..and a bunch of unknowns".... that why i asked