Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Steelers by position: WR. Are we better off?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioiUVgZ_K-A

Legend

User Info Menu

Silly in PHILLY: Call me silly...but the Steelers have some tough cuts at WR, right? u think they go w 5 or 6 wr’s- and who are they?

Ray Fittipaldo: JuJu (lock), Moncrief (lock), Diontae Johnson (lock), Washington (lock), Switzer (near lock)... No. 6 up for grabs if they keep six. Could be Eli Rogers. Could be Johnny Holton. Could be Tevin Jones. Could be Diontae Spencer.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/201908120075

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Silly in PHILLY: Call me silly...but the Steelers have some tough cuts at WR, right? u think they go w 5 or 6 wr’s- and who are they?

Ray Fittipaldo: JuJu (lock), Moncrief (lock), Diontae Johnson (lock), Washington (lock), Switzer (near lock)... No. 6 up for grabs if they keep six. Could be Eli Rogers. Could be Johnny Holton. Could be Tevin Jones. Could be Diontae Spencer.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/201908120075
    As players get hurt during pre season I could see Rogers having some trade value

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I guess i just don't see the steelers WR corp as strong as sone people here seem to believe

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    I guess i just don't see the steelers WR corp as strong as sone people here seem to believe
    Of the guys competing for spots 5-6, I think Switzer, Rogers, Holton and Tevin Jones are all rosterable NFL players who could provide value in different ways. Spencer could be an interesting return guy but needs more consistency catching the ball. Seems like a practice squad candidate. Not saying they are stars, but I think all could be contributors.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    A lot of question marks on the WR roster. It can be looked at several ways:

JuJu - Rising star or guy who has to prove he can put up numbers without a stud across from him.
    Moncrief - Guy has always looked the part with questionable (at best) QB play. Can he perform when he is finally in a balanced O with a real QB?
    Washington - Guy who is ready to step up in year two or continued disappointment?
    Diontae 1 - Guy's a rook, looked good so far, who knows what he is?
    Rogers, Switzer - Quick slot guys who have the ability to make big plays or drop a ball on third down. What will we get?

I see the glass half full. Even if half of what we want to see comes to pass then we have a good WR corps. Add Vance and Conner/Samuels/Snell to the mix and there are plenty of weapons at the team's disposal. Should give those who don't show right away an opportunity to grow and ease into the mix.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

my point is that none of these guys are tough cuts because of talent and neither are any of them legitimate trade bait

after juju it's a bunch of question marks

Legend

User Info Menu

On the upswing

Steelers receiver depth: The sudden passing of Steelers wide receivers coach Darryl Drake on Sunday is a tragic blow to the entire organization, but the work he did with this group of wideouts will live on. Rookie Diontae Johnson got the early publicity in training camp, but second-year pro James Washington is making a push now. Washington followed up a strong stretch of practices with a four-catch, 84-yard performance in the preseason opener that included two impressive plays down the field and a textbook back-shoulder touchdown. Those were the types of plays Washington often failed to convert as a rookie.

Whether Washington or free-agent pickup Donte Moncrief starts opposite JuJu Smith-Schuster is almost beside the point, because the Steelers will play them both plenty. The following two things can both be true: 1) The Steelers' receivers are not nearly as good without Antonio Brown. 2) The Steelers' receivers are plenty good enough, and the unit looks deeper than it did a year ago.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...gn=Twitter_atn

Legend

User Info Menu

I see Juju and Washington starting on the outside with Switzer in the slot.

I think those are the 3 that will take a huge step forward.

I also hope to see Samuels in more of a hyrbid HBack role this year. He's got so much upside as a receiver, I hate to see him waste away on the sideline.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

We don’t have depth. We have potential.