Page 16 of 28 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Steelers by position: WR. Are we better off?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    you started your post by making reference to Vance McDonald. Just sayin.. if you want to participate in our discussion.. thats fine.. i had a right to ask you about conner.. since you mentioned a TE..and since our discussion was broader than WR.
    True. However, TE’s mostly catch the ball when they posses it.

You are correct tho, TE isn’t WR.

I never said anything negative about Conner which was implied by you.

Not trying to argue about Conner though, that was never my intention with my post.

I was strictly discussing players who have yet to show their worth on the field in a Steeler uni who primarily catch passes.
    Last edited by Oh wow; 06-17-2019 at 01:12 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    True. However, TE’s mostly catch the ball when they posses it.

You are correct tho, TE isn’t WR.

I never said anything negative about Conner which was implied by you.

Not trying to argue about Conner though, that was never my intention with my post.

I was strictly discussing players who have yet to show their worth on the field in a Steeler imo who primarily catch passes.
    thanks for clarifying...and again.. your initial comment "JUJU, Vance, and a bunch of unprovens" was what i was referring to. Lumping Conner in with the unknowns (which most would imply by your statement) would be a mistake. Im glad that was not your intention.
    Last edited by Ernie; 06-17-2019 at 01:13 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

i think Conner's ability as a pass catcher is well established at this juncture. he was within 100 yards of McDonald's production in 2018.. despite missing 3 games.

Legend

User Info Menu

New double D Xs are real and impressive – The Steelers added two new wide receivers this offseason in veteran Donte Moncrief via free agency and rookie Diontae Johnson via the draft and on the surface, both had solid showings during the team’s offseason practices. Moncrief achieved his goal of staying on the practice field in his attempt to build a quick rapport with quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and while there might be some level of hyperbole involved, he’s seemingly gotten rave reviews from teammates. As for Johnson, the Steelers first of two third-round draft picks this year, the Toledo product seemingly had a very impressive start of OTA and minicamp practices that included him getting some limited work in with the first-team offense and thus Roethlisberger, who said he was “impressed” by the rookie during one press conference and that he “caught everything” thrown his way. Johnson also received great praise from the team’s most experienced cornerback, Haden, as he said the rookie is a “good one” after first complimenting his route running abilities. The steelers offense will could certainly use some early-season contributions out of both Moncrief and Johnson if all possible, it appears both new wide receivers are on track to provide just that.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/06/7-...son-practices/

Legend

User Info Menu

The Athletic's Mark Kaboly writes Donte Moncrief "looks like a slam-dunk No. 2" receiver.

After watching the free-agent addition in the spring, Kaboly believes Moncrief "easily looks like a 50- or 60-catch guy with five or six touchdowns." The receiver also earned praise from Ben Roethlisberger, who talked up Moncrief's work ethic and knowledge of the offense. It is still possible James Washington or Diontae Johnson make their case in camp, but things are looking good for Moncrief right now.

SOURCE: The Athletic
    Jun 18, 2019, 8:53 AM ET
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

My biggest worry on Moncrief is durability.

It’s not even fair, it’s totally based on fear of an injury due to our recent bad luck with other FA’s on offense.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    My biggest worry on Moncrief is durability.

It’s not even fair, it’s totally based on fear of an injury due to our recent bad luck with other FA’s on offense.
    Well, in his 4 year NFL career prior to arriving in Pittsburgh in 2016, Ladarius Green only played in all 16 games one time (in 2013).

In his 4 year NFL career prior to arriving in Pittsburgh in 2017, Vance McDonald never played in all 16 games (and still hasn't).

In his 5 year NFL career prior to arriving in Pittsburgh in 2019, Donte Moncrief played in all 16 games in three of those seasons (2014, 2015, and 2018).

So he's been comparatively durable in light of our previous TE signings in free agency. Plus, there is more of a physical beating one's body takes when you are a TE like Green and McDonald that is not necessarily the typical case for an incoming WR instead.
    Last edited by RuthlessBurgher; 06-18-2019 at 11:19 AM.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Vegas has set Juju and AB with identical odds to lead the league in receiving yardage (both 6-to-1), behind only Julio Jones, DeAndre Hopkins, and Odell Beckham, Jr.

Julio Jones is favored to lead the league in receiving yardage

Posted by Mike Florio on June 19, 2019, 11:56 AM EDT

If/when the Falcons give receiver Julio Jones a new contract, Jones can be expected to earn it right away.

Caesers Entertainment has set the odds for the NFL’s receiving yardage leader, and Jones is the favorite at 4/1. Next come Texans receiver DeAndre Hopkins and Browns receiver Odell Beckham, Jr., who are both at 11/2. Former teammates Antonio Brown (now of the Raiders) and JuJu Smith-Schuster (still of the Steelers) have identical odds, at 6/1.

Bucs receiver Mike Evans comes in at 8/1, along with Packers receiver Davante Adams. Saints receiver Michael Thomas and Vikings receiver Adam Thielen are 10/1.

Three players are off the board, for entirely different reasons: Tyreek Hill, Doug Baldwin, and Rob Gronkowski.

Jones led the NFL last year, with 1,677 yards.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/06/19/julio-jones-is-favored-to-lead-the-league-in-receiving-yardage/
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Tim Benz: Steelers explain plan to deploy WRs without Antonio Brown

TIM BENZ | Friday, June 21, 2019

The comment from Ben Roethlisberger resonated.

Clearly, JuJu Smith-Schuster was banged up during the season finale. That’s part of the reason why the Steelers’ passing offense was so lackluster en route to an ugly 16-13 victory over a last-place Bengals team.

An even bigger reason, though, was the absence of Antonio Brown. The All-Pro wide receiver was benched because he missed practice during the week.

And with his status uncertain throughout the lead-up to an important season-ender against Cincinnati, game-planning was compromised.

Not strictly from the standpoint of missing his talent. But also the fundamental issue of the quarterback not knowing where everyone was pre-snap.

“Typically, A.B. is the ‘X’ receiver,” Roethlisberger said after that game. “No matter what you call, A.B. is always at X. Anyone else can come in. But A.B. always has his position. Tonight we had four or five guys play ‘X.’ ”

Now, with Brown gone for good, the Steelers are saying that approach will change in 2019. JuJu Smith-Schuster won’t be deployed in that manner as he gets promoted to the role of No. 1 wide receiver.

“No, that’s definitely not for me,” Smith-Schuster said during minicamp. “I’m the guy that plays everywhere around. Inside, outside, even playing tight end this year when we go five wide. We’ve got guys who can play everywhere. Not just one position. We are centering off of one person.”

Even though Smith-Schuster clearly is the best remaining pass-catcher on the team, he will not get hammered into that split end role on the line of scrimmage that Brown held from the “X” position.

Brown was good enough that — even if defenses knew where he was going to line up and what route he was about to run — he couldn’t be stopped.

The Steelers will keep the opposition guessing more in 2019.

“We need to spread it out,” Smith-Schuster said. “Those catches, those yards, need to be made up with wide receivers, running backs, tight ends. Everybody. It’s not just one person.”

Observers of the team are doing some guess work, too. Namely:

• Can Smith-Schuster match his productivity in recent years with defenses gearing up to take him away first now that they don’t have to account for Brown?

And …

• Who will step up and become a legitimate second threat to JuJu, as JuJu had been to A.B.?

If James Washington makes the leap head coach Mike Tomlin normally asks of second-year players, it should be him. After all, he was a highly decorated college player with a second-round draft grade and a year of experience under his belt.

He has also returned to the South Side with a sleeker body. Washington says he dropped 15 pounds to gain speed and separation from professional defensive backs.

“I feel a lot lighter,” Washington said. “I feel like I can stride out a little better. I feel a lot quicker off the jump.”

Along with Washington’s assumed improvement, the Steelers spent a third-round pick on a receiver, Diontae Johnson from Toledo. Free-agent signee Donte Moncrief has been impressive in offseason practices. And there’s the eternal hope that both Vance McDonald and Eli Rogers will stay healthy and that Ryan Switzer will produce more in his second year in Pittsburgh.

Plus, James Conner and Jaylen Samuels could contribute out of the backfield more this year, too, after both running backs elevated their games a year ago.

You know, strength in numbers n’at. Right?

“Everybody is going to be able to help,” Moncrief said. “Everybody in the room is ready to play. Everybody knows that JuJu is going to get a lot of attention. We have to help him out and take that double team away and be men. Everybody needs to be covered, and not just one person.”

So, am I really saying it’ll take eight guys to replace Antonio Brown?

No.

I’m saying it’ll take nine if you count Smith-Schuster perhaps needing to do more, as well.

Yes. Brown was that good. Midnight treadmill rants and bleached mustaches occasionally make you forget that. So whether it’s how the Steelers line up or who lines up for them, the challenge is clear.

No single player on the roster is capable of absorbing Brown’s production. And asking a small army to do it may be confusing at times to figure out.

But at least early in the season, the Steelers may have the element of surprise going for them. That’s a factor Brown could never exploit.

Unless he used it against his own team when they were left to guess if he would show up on time for practices or games.

https://triblive.com/sports/tim-benz...antonio-brown/

Legend

User Info Menu

Labriola Expects Eli Rogers and Ryan Switzer Will Compete For One Roster Spot

By Matthew Marczi
    Posted on June 25, 2019

The Pittsburgh Steelers may have lost one of the major talents at the wide receiver position in the NFL after trading Antonio Brown, but they do have, potentially, fairly enviable depth. They have a number of wide receivers on the roster right now who are rosterable—some of whom might not make the roster.

The Steelers certainly have at least six wide receivers on their 90-man roster who are worthy of a roster spot—largely, based on the fact that they have been on rosters before, short of rookie Diontae Johnson—and possibly even more when factoring in players like Diontae Spencer, Tevin Jones, and Trey Griffey, the latter two of whom had success in the preseason last year.

But will the Steelers actually keep six wide receivers? Is it necessary, or would it become redundant? Ordinarily, the sixth wide receiver spends his time on the inactive list. Or more accurately, the fifth does, because the sixth is a special teams player.

Bob Labriola believes that this summer, Eli Rogers and Ryan Switzer will be competing against one another for one roster spot, which may well indicate that he believes the team will only carry five wide receivers this year.

JuJu Smith-Schuster is obviously going to make the team, as will Johnson, James Washington, and free agent signing Donte Moncrief. After those four, it gets much more up in the air, but they like both Rogers and Switzer.

The problem is that the two of them have very similar skill sets, and the fact of the matter is that Smith-Schuster is actually their best slot receiver. Rogers and Switzer are both largely limited to playing in the slot, but even if Smith-Schuster plays a lot of snaps on the outside in three-receiver sets, Moncrief and Johnson could also play in the slot.

If the Steelers feel comfortable in the inside-outside versatility of their top four wide receivers, it’s going to be very difficult to justify keeping both Rogers and Switzer on the 53-man roster in 2019 because of the redundancy already mentioned, and the fact that one of them will spend most of the year as a healthy scratch.

There are other areas of the roster that could greatly benefit from that extra roster spot, particularly at the linebacker positions and in the secondary. If they are able to acquire another veteran tight end, it would also more easily allow them to carry an extra player there to accommodate rookie Zach Gentry without pressing him into play.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/06/la...e-roster-spot/