Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Steelers by position: WR. Are we better off?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    go and look at the WR depth chart of last season's Super Bowl Champions and you'll see you don't need the greatest WRs to win...
    Nope. You just need performance enhancing drugs when your WR core isn’t the greatest.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by The Man of Steel View Post
    Go back and look at the Steelers WR depth chart for Super Bowls 40 and 43. It doesnít look much better or worse than those teams right now.
    Go back and look at the Defenses of those teams

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Last year, AB and Juju combined for over 2700 yards by themselves.

Those two guys amounted for more than half of Ben's 5100+ passing yards last season.

In order to be a well-balanced, efficient offense, we shouldn't be so pass heavy overall it's certainly not healthy to be so dependent on one or two guys to give you the vast majority of your offensive output.

I think we'd actually be better off if Ben had something like 400-500 fewer yards through the air next year and we made up for that with more ground-and-pound yardage as opposed to an all-out aerial attack more often than not.

I think we'd be just fine if we got the following production through the air:
    Juju: 1200-1400 yards
    Moncrief and Vance: 600-700 yards each
    Washington and Conner: 400-500 yards each
    Rogers and Switzer: 300-400 yards each
    Johnson and Samuels: 200-300 yards each

This would put Ben in the neighborhood of 4600-4800 passing yards as opposed to over 5100.

But we could make up for that if also we got the following production on the ground:
    Conner: 1000-1200 yards
    Snell: 500-600 yards
    Samuels: 200-300 yards

Hopefully they at least make a reasonable attempt at somewhat of a committee situation rather than running the wheels off of one guy, because it should keep everyone healthy and fresh as we head toward the playoffs.
    Johnson will be WAY over 200-300 yards...jmo

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Disco1981 View Post
    Go back and look at the Defenses of those teams
    Go look at EVERY SB WINNER OF THE LAST DECADE.
    You know what you DONT SEE?

Not one HOF caliber receiver.

Legend

User Info Menu

Boom........
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

My official proclamation: WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. SO WHY DELAY THE INEVITABLE?

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Legend

User Info Menu

I agree with Lemming. Too many variables and unknowns to say anything with certainty. What I will say is I see the Steelers cutting loose me first players. And that canít be a bad thing.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    As a whole group, we are better off. And less predictable because now Ben is just going to throw to the open man. Not having to force feed a guy because he wants 15 targets a game.
    strong point. I agree being less predictable is always a good thing.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Go look at EVERY SB WINNER OF THE LAST DECADE.
    You know what you DONT SEE?

Not one HOF caliber receiver.

gronk played a pretty important role in the pats passing game though. His name is mentioned by analysts when discussing the all time best tight ends

Legend

User Info Menu

We are better off at WR from top to bottom than we were last year.... no doubt in my mind. Solid from #1-5,6

Watch guys James Washington and Switzer have a breakout seasons... this could be one of the best WR units in the league.

Legend

User Info Menu

Moncrief is better then what everybody thinks. I think he opens a lot of peoples eyes.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

My official proclamation: WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. SO WHY DELAY THE INEVITABLE?

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN