Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Steelers by position: WR. Are we better off?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    As a whole group, we are better off. And less predictable because now Ben is just going to throw to the open man. Not having to force feed a guy because he wants 15 targets a game.
    This is a great point too.
    I really think Ben's idiot comments in the Denver game are because he knows he forced the ball to the wrong guy because he feels pressure to feed Browns enormous ego. I think that is the only reason Brown did not go ballistic at the time.

Most of Ben's dumb picks are forced throws to Brown.

If the youngsters pan out, BEN is better because he will just go to the open man.
    And with THAT MUCH DEPTH somebody will be open.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    I really think Ben's idiot comments in the Denver game are because he knows he forced the ball to the wrong guy because he feels pressure to feed Browns enormous ego. I think that is the only reason Brown did not go ballistic at the time.

If the youngsters pan out, BEN is better because he will just go to the open man.
    Yes...forcing the ball to Brown; and then when there's a pick, people go off on Ben. No more.

Imagine...we will be running the ball more with a power running game with Conner/Snell which in turn allows Ben to throw less (won't lead the league in passing yardage this coming season) but when he throws, they will be (should be) highly effective passes with waaaaaaaay less picks. And..domination of time of possession too!!? How can you not be excited about that offense? All the pieces are there in our offense to do it.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (An 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

My official proclamation: WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. So why delay the inevitable?

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think it's wishful thinking to think that we're better at WR without one of the best WRs in the game.

I think losing a HoF player makes us obviously worse at WR.

That doesn't mean that we're bad at WR. I think we're still going to be OK at WR, but there are certainly some question marks (will JuJu be able to thrive as the #1 option? will Washington be able to be an effective WR3 and maybe even challenge for WR2? Will Montcrief and Ben click?). And ultimately, I think how good we are at QB is >>>>>>> important than how good we are at WR.

It also doesn't mean that having one of the best WR corps in the league is super important. Lemming always makes this point and I think it's fairly valid. Maybe it's better to have 3 - 4 guys who are more #2 types. I think that's probably the case if you have a QB that's good at reading the D and making a good decision. This seems to be what make Brady (and P.Manning) great.

I think the biggest question re: performance of our WRs / TEs will be about how well Ben makes decisions. There were certainly times over the last few years where the decision was to just chuck it up for Brown and hope he'd do something awesome. We'll see if Ben keeps forcing things without AB or if he takes what the D gives him.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Go back and look at the Steelers WR depth chart for Super Bowls 40 and 43. It doesn’t look much better or worse than those teams right now.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post

I like all these points. It got me thinking. Did Ben force the throws to feed AB's ego, or was AB so dependable that Ben knew he could chuck it AB's way and more often than not have it work out? Not needing to force throws and simply finding the open man sounds easy. I just wonder if it will be that easy for Ben to take that approach after having AB their to either feed or use as a crutch? Hope that makes sense.

Legend

User Info Menu

Last year, AB and Juju combined for over 2700 yards by themselves.

Those two guys amounted for more than half of Ben's 5100+ passing yards last season.

In order to be a well-balanced, efficient offense, we shouldn't be so pass heavy overall it's certainly not healthy to be so dependent on one or two guys to give you the vast majority of your offensive output.

I think we'd actually be better off if Ben had something like 400-500 fewer yards through the air next year and we made up for that with more ground-and-pound yardage as opposed to an all-out aerial attack more often than not.

I think we'd be just fine if we got the following production through the air:
    Juju: 1200-1400 yards
    Moncrief and Vance: 600-700 yards each
    Washington and Conner: 400-500 yards each
    Rogers and Switzer: 300-400 yards each
    Johnson and Samuels: 200-300 yards each

This would put Ben in the neighborhood of 4600-4800 passing yards as opposed to over 5100.

But we could make up for that if also we got the following production on the ground:
    Conner: 1000-1200 yards
    Snell: 500-600 yards
    Samuels: 200-300 yards

Hopefully they at least make a reasonable attempt at somewhat of a committee situation rather than running the wheels off of one guy, because it should keep everyone healthy and fresh as we head toward the playoffs.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by The Man of Steel View Post
    Go back and look at the Steelers WR depth chart for Super Bowls 40 and 43. It doesn’t look much better or worse than those teams right now.
    Just about to post something very similiar....good stuff
    I wish people would/could leave politics out of a Steelers Football Forum.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by The Man of Steel View Post
    go and look at the WR depth chart of last season's Super Bowl Champions and you'll see you don't need the greatest WRs to win...

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    go and look at the WR depth chart of last season's Super Bowl Champions and you'll see you don't need the greatest WRs to win...
    Their coach is 10x better than ours.

I won't dispute the fact that you don't need a dominant #1 WR to win a Super Bowl. You don't and that's been proven time and time again.

I think we have a good WR corps right now. However, if Ju Ju goes down with a injury, we might be in some serious trouble. I need to see more from Moncreif and Washington to feel confident that our entire season wouldn't go down the tubes with a Ju Ju injury.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I donít think we are better off at WR but we may be better off as a team across the board.