Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Artie Burns

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Just a hunch---Burns is going to surprise us this year
    I hope so. He has shown flashes in the past, particularly in his rookie year.

Was listening to the Terrible podcast yesterday. They were talking about how strange it was that as we moved more to his strength (i.e. away from zone and towards man) he got worse.

Hopefully it's a mental thing and he got a chance to figure it out over the off season.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I wonder if AB got in his head when they would go one on one in practice? Not having Brown on the team might be enough in itself to boost Burns confidence. Everybody seems to think he has the ability but not the confidence to play well. Hopefully that will change this year.

Of course, with our luck, he might pull a Keenan Lewis on us and have a good year. Then, since we didn't pick up his option, leave in free agency.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    Of course, with our luck, he might pull a Keenan Lewis on us and have a good year. Then, since we didn't pick up his option, leave in free agency.
    I'll take that luck. I'd prefer for him to have a good year for us in 2019 and then leave to sign a big money deal elsewhere than for him to suck for us in 2019 and then leave to sign a vet minimum prove it deal elsewhere. If he'll be playing elsewhere in 2020 regardless, it would be nice to be able to get some quality play out of him in 2019 than not, eh?
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

The Fartie Party may be nearly over.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    I wonder if AB got in his head when they would go one on one in practice? Not having Brown on the team might be enough in itself to boost Burns confidence. Everybody seems to think he has the ability but not the confidence to play well. Hopefully that will change this year.

Good point. I was also a bit worried when I heard he was only covering AB last year. Every WR isn’t AB and I wonder if he was beat down by AB and over thinking things last year.

Legend

User Info Menu

@PatKirwan_NFL

2016 first round not looking good when it came to picking up 5th year options. Looks like 14 guys not getting it That means the bottom 1/2 of the round had 11 of the 16 passed over

2 May 2019

https://twitter.com/PatKirwan_NFL/st...70748660826114

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I'd like to see us trade him for a upside TE. Specifically trade him to Denver (our newfound trade buddy John Elway) for Jake Butt. Broncos have Fant and Jeff Heurmann. Butt could be worth a flier. Just needs to stay healthy. Maybe we could score a 7th round pick too.

Administrator

User Info Menu

I'm shocked that the guy that was a genius secondary coach can't evaluate secondary talent or coach them to become competent or at a minimum get them prepared week to week.

Actually, no I'm not... That's what you get with a showman fraud of a coach.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    I'm shocked that the guy that was a genius secondary coach can't evaluate secondary talent or coach them to become competent or at a minimum get them prepared week to week.

Actually, no I'm not... That's what you get with a showman fraud of a coach.
    Yeah, that’s a point the Tomlin apologist can’t dispute.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

My official proclamation: WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. SO WHY DELAY THE INEVITABLE?

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Legend

User Info Menu

17 first-round picks from 2016 had their fifth-year options picked up

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 3, 2019, 5:47 AM EDT

When NFL teams decline to pick up the fifth-year option for a first-round draft pick, they’re essentially saying that pick fell short of expectations. By that measure, 45 percent of the first-round picks in the 2016 NFL draft fell short.

The fifth-year option decisions are in for all of the first-round picks from 2016, and 17 of them were picked up, while 14 were declined. (New England was stripped of its first-round pick for Deflategate.)

That makes the 2016 first round a fairly disappointing one. In each of the last two years, 20 fifth-year options were picked up and 12 were declined.

Teams picking at the top of the draft were satisfied with their picks, as the Top 7 players all had their options picked up. The highest pick to have his option declined was Titans offensive tackle Jack Conklin, drafted No. 8 overall. Two first-round picks, 15th overall selection Corey Coleman of the Browns and 26th overall selection Paxton Lynch of the Broncos, had no fifth-year option because they have already been released from their rookie contracts.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/05/03/17-first-round-picks-from-2016-had-their-fifth-year-options-picked-up/
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.