Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: GM Kevin Colbert Defends Bud Dupree, Steelers’ Presumed Lack Of OLB Depth

Legend

User Info Menu

T.J. Watt On Bud Dupree: ‘I Think This Year Will Be The Year For Him’
    The headline that a fellow player says "I think this will be the year for him" is further acknowledgment that he has not had his year yet. The closest he came was the partial 2016 season when he played 6 games coming off of injury and played very well. Unfortunately he did not follow that up in 2017 or afterwards.

I was one who was very vocal about not paying Bud the $9M+ franchise tag this season, however, after seeing several other edge rushers receive money close to the $20M per year range this off-season, I'm a little better with it.

Legend

User Info Menu

PREDICTION: DUPREE TO HAVE BREAKOUT YEAR

posted by Mark Madden - Aug 14, 2019

Steelers outside ‘backer Bud Dupree will have a breakout season. Dupree will lead the team in sacks, or finish close behind T.J. Watt.

That’s a bold prediction.

Dupree has mostly underachieved during his four campaigns as a Steeler. He’s never topped six sacks in a season. He had 5.5 last year.

But Dupree will nonetheless excel in 2019.

It will be a triumph of the modern athlete.

Dupree doesn’t care about winning. He doesn’t care about “team.” He doesn't care about excelling.

But Dupree does care about money.

Dupree is in the last year of his contract. He declined a long-term extension.

Dupree is betting on himself.

Dupree has talent. He was a first-round pick. He’s shown flashes.

Now Dupree has painted himself into a corner, and will be fueled by the only thing that truly motivates the typical modern athlete: Money.

Dupree will get at least 10 sacks. Bet that.

Then, Dupree will go play somewhere else at a more inflated rate than the Steelers are willing to pay.

That’s OK. One great year before departure is better than Dupree sticking around for a string of additional disappointing seasons. The Dupree situation is perfect for the Steelers.

https://1059thex.iheart.com/featured...breakout-year/

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Now Dupree has painted himself into a corner, and will be fueled by the only thing that truly motivates the typical modern athlete: Money.
    Meanwhile, Madden will be fueled by the only thing that truly motivates the typical slob sportswriter: Cheeseburgers.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

The thing is, if you are motivated by money then once you get it where does that leave you.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    The thing is, if you are motivated by money then once you get it where does that leave you.
    Rich as hell

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Very comfortably retired

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Not a Dud fan either but,Gotta have somebody...Ola: Who knows...Chick: Meh...Couple rookies drafted but who knows...

If Dud plays well it's a win... He'll get his, We'll be a better team,And he will probably move on to $$$$$er pastures...

Then high draft pick, Maybe a 1st on OLB...And hoping a few of the young development nicely

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    Rich as hell
    Well there is that

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Bust Dupree"s last night: three tackles, two sacks, three total hits on the quarterback, and one pass defensed.

we better sign him to a long-term contract asap

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Bust Dupree"s last night: three tackles, two sacks, three total hits on the quarterback, and one pass defensed.

we better sign him to a long-term contract asap
    I’m always reminded of the commercial with the guy with the dollar on a fishing pole line, that says “oh you almost got it”. Whenever Dupree whiffs on a tackle .

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.