Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: GM Kevin Colbert Defends Bud Dupree, Steelers’ Presumed Lack Of OLB Depth

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I guess that’s a no.

Lmao

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Definition of Insanity: Butler actually said that 5th year, 1st round pick, Bust DuPree can "become a good player" & ""just a few minute things" to fix... Coach speak allowance noted... I find that insulting.

Ray Fittipaldo: They believe it. I don't think it's coachspeak. That's why it's going to be so fascinating to see how the year develops for Dupree. Almost no one outside the organization seems to be as high on him as the people inside.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/201905060077
    Hawaiian, Butler has to say that now that they've committed 9 mil to the guy. Doesn't make any sense to say he's a wash out at this point. They have to ride that wave in now with him.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (An 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

My official proclamation: WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. So why delay the inevitable?

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Hawaiian, Butler has to say that now that they've committed 9 mil to the guy. Doesn't make any sense to say he's a wash out at this point. They have to ride that wave in now with him.
    that's very true, but I also believe the Steelers' coaches and front office don't believe Dupree is as bad as most Steelers' fans and message board posters think he is.

Legend

User Info Menu

that's very true, but I also believe the Steelers' coaches and front office don't believe Dupree is as bad as most Steelers' fans and message board posters think he is.
    Well, we won't have to wait too long to find out. He has all the physical tools. It's just above the neck, he's lacking.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (An 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

My official proclamation: WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. So why delay the inevitable?

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Today, 10:16 AM
    ikestops85
    Hall of Famer

This message is hidden because ikestops85 is on your ignore list.
    View Post
    Remove user from ignore list
    So we’re back to this again?

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer View Post
    So we’re back to this again?
    Just ignore him...oh wait...nevermind.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Bud Dupree is the reason the Steelers passed on Chase Winovich

by Tommy Jaggi

When the Steelers gave up their 2nd round draft choice to move up for Devin Bush, I thought there was no chance Pittsburgh would be able to land Chase Winovich. The Steelers mortgaged pick 20, pick 52, and a 2020 3rd round pick to move up to number 10 overall.

As the draft progressed into day two, I was beginning to see light at the end of the tunnel. The second round came and went, and still Chase Winovich had not been drafted.

Finally, we arrived at pick 66 overall – the first of Steelers’ 3rd round picks. The standout Michigan pass rusher was on the board. The Steelers clearly had a need at the position and Winovich fits the Steelers with his build, speed, and ferociousness. Pittsburgh had a dinner meeting with Chase at his pro day, so there was obvious interest on the part of the Steelers.

Then Diontae Johnson was drafted to the Steelers… not Chase Winovich.

Johnson may very well turn out to be a solid receiver, but the reasoning behind the decision to pass up a talented pass rusher is baffling. During a Q&A session, Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette was asked why the Steelers passed on Winovich. Here’s what he had to say:

Because THEY like Dupree. Isn’t that obvious? I’m not saying I agree. I’m just telling you why they didn’t do what you suggest.

When Dulac said they, he was referring to the men up front: Kevin Colbert and Mike Tomlin. In four years, Bud Dupree has not managed a season over 6.0 sacks. Though he’s not a bust on the level of Artie Burns or Jarvis Jones, his play has done anything but warranted a new contract (let alone a 5th-year option).

Kevin Colbert recently responded to questions surrounding Bud Dupree on 93.7 The Fan. Here’s what the General Manager had to say:

When we look at Bud, and when you look at T.J. collectively, those two had as good a season as we’ve had out of that position. Coach made the switch last year and put T.J. mostly on the left and Bud mostly on the right. Cam and Tuitt and Hargrave — with those two, we got more pressure last year than we have in recent years, and I think Bud is a part of that. Can he do more? Does he want to do more? Absolutely, and we think he will. As I’ve said, at 9-6-1 we weren’t good enough in any one area, but we certainly believe that Bud was a contributor and he will be a contributor probably in a more beneficial mode for us this year.

Obviously Colbert has a high deal of faith in Bud Dupree. But what reason should he?

Dupree has been average at best throughout his career. The Steelers found themselves in a perfect position to pass the flame on to another pass rusher (Chase Winovich) who would have been a substantially cheaper option and, quite possibly, a better player.

I don’t always agree with everything Pittsburgh’s front office does. Taking Diontae Johnson because you believe he’s a great player is one thing. Passing on Chase Winovich because you believe Bud Dupree is the answer is something I can not explain.

https://stillcurtain.com/2019/05/10/...d-on-winovich/

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Bud Dupree is the reason the Steelers passed on Chase Winovich

by Tommy Jaggi

When the Steelers gave up their 2nd round draft choice to move up for Devin Bush, I thought there was no chance Pittsburgh would be able to land Chase Winovich. The Steelers mortgaged pick 20, pick 52, and a 2020 3rd round pick to move up to number 10 overall.

As the draft progressed into day two, I was beginning to see light at the end of the tunnel. The second round came and went, and still Chase Winovich had not been drafted.

Finally, we arrived at pick 66 overall – the first of Steelers’ 3rd round picks. The standout Michigan pass rusher was on the board. The Steelers clearly had a need at the position and Winovich fits the Steelers with his build, speed, and ferociousness. Pittsburgh had a dinner meeting with Chase at his pro day, so there was obvious interest on the part of the Steelers.

Then Diontae Johnson was drafted to the Steelers… not Chase Winovich.

Johnson may very well turn out to be a solid receiver, but the reasoning behind the decision to pass up a talented pass rusher is baffling. During a Q&A session, Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette was asked why the Steelers passed on Winovich. Here’s what he had to say:

Because THEY like Dupree. Isn’t that obvious? I’m not saying I agree. I’m just telling you why they didn’t do what you suggest.

When Dulac said they, he was referring to the men up front: Kevin Colbert and Mike Tomlin. In four years, Bud Dupree has not managed a season over 6.0 sacks. Though he’s not a bust on the level of Artie Burns or Jarvis Jones, his play has done anything but warranted a new contract (let alone a 5th-year option).

Kevin Colbert recently responded to questions surrounding Bud Dupree on 93.7 The Fan. Here’s what the General Manager had to say:

When we look at Bud, and when you look at T.J. collectively, those two had as good a season as we’ve had out of that position. Coach made the switch last year and put T.J. mostly on the left and Bud mostly on the right. Cam and Tuitt and Hargrave — with those two, we got more pressure last year than we have in recent years, and I think Bud is a part of that. Can he do more? Does he want to do more? Absolutely, and we think he will. As I’ve said, at 9-6-1 we weren’t good enough in any one area, but we certainly believe that Bud was a contributor and he will be a contributor probably in a more beneficial mode for us this year.

Obviously Colbert has a high deal of faith in Bud Dupree. But what reason should he?

Dupree has been average at best throughout his career. The Steelers found themselves in a perfect position to pass the flame on to another pass rusher (Chase Winovich) who would have been a substantially cheaper option and, quite possibly, a better player.

I don’t always agree with everything Pittsburgh’s front office does. Taking Diontae Johnson because you believe he’s a great player is one thing. Passing on Chase Winovich because you believe Bud Dupree is the answer is something I can not explain.

https://stillcurtain.com/2019/05/10/...d-on-winovich/
    I think they also really like Johnson.

We'll see how the bets play out over the next few years

Legend

User Info Menu

2019 Stock Watch – OLB Bud Dupree – Stock Even

By Matthew Marczi
    Posted on May 13, 2019

Now that the 2019 NFL Draft is underway, and the roster heading into the offseason is close to finalized—though always fluid—it’s time to take stock of where the Pittsburgh Steelers stand. Specifically where Steelers players stand individually based on what we have seen happen over the course of the past few months.

A stock evaluation can take a couple of different approaches and I’ll try to make clear my reasonings. In some cases it will be based on more long-term trends, such as an accumulation of offseason activity. In other instances it will be a direct response to something that just happened. So we can see a player more than once over the course of the summer as we head toward training camp.

Player: OLB Bud Dupree

Stock Value: Even

Nothing has really changed for Bud Dupree as a result of the 2019 NFL Draft. This season remains a make-or-break year for the fifth-year veteran as the team determines whether or not he can represent a viable option for a long-term starting role. They are past the point at which they can have him for cheap or to count on continued growth gained by experience.

Dupree has been a full-time starter for most of his career now, and while he has had some injury issues limit him over that time, it’s fair to say that his numbers have disappointed relative to expectations when he has been on the field.

Even though they are already thin at outside linebacker, however, the Steelers didn’t really make any major additions to the position this offseason. Outside of Reserve/Future signings and undrafted free agents, the only move that they made was to add the undersized Sutton Smith in the sixth round.

While there is a good amount of buzz on Smith because of what he showed in the MAC, nobody should really be counting on him to be making any waves on defense during his rookie season. Basically, there’s no reason to believe that Dupree won’t be on the field for his usual amount of snaps.

The question is who will be rotating with him, and that depends on how much growth Olasunkanmi Adeniyi shows. If the second-year former undrafted free agent shows up, he should rotate with Dupree on the right side while Anthony Chickillo primarily backs up T.J. Watt on the other side.

But, again, as mentioned, everything pretty much remains status quo since before the draft when it comes to Dupree and his 2019 season and whatever might come beyond that. It will ultimately be determined by what he does on the field, and he should get ample opportunity to show what he can do in his fifth season.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/05/20...ee-stock-even/

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I think we've seen what Bud is by now. Hope I'm wrong, but I don't expect to see a lot of improvement out of him going forward. I think we could've/should've tried for someone better at his position.