Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: GM Kevin Colbert Defends Bud Dupree, Steelers’ Presumed Lack Of OLB Depth

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by The Man of Steel View Post
    I can see it happening.
    Drafting Diontae Johnson instead of Winovich will go down in Steelers history as a bigger blunder than when they drafted Tee Martin instead of Tom Brady or maybe even as bad as picking Senor Sack over Dan Marino.
    I like it that you were not afraid to say how you feel; if that’s what you think then it’s all good. You definitely dont have to stay with the common narrative if you choose not to.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by The Man of Steel View Post
    I can see it happening.
    Drafting Diontae Johnson instead of Winovich will go down in Steelers history as a bigger blunder than when they drafted Tee Martin instead of Tom Brady or maybe even as bad as picking Senor Sack over Dan Marino.
    I'm all for drafting the local kid, but put me down for thinking Ola and Sutton are better OLBs than Chase. I think most are bigger on Ola, but I'm bigger on Sutton. He's freakishly quick, deceptively strong and I think he's a football player that will be one of the few that transcends his clear size limitations.

I like things about both, and think they're very different and would love to see the Steelers rotate those 2 and get a relentless pass rush from that side of the field.

Legend

User Info Menu

Sutton is intriguing. That's one of the main experiments of the coming training camp
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Bud Dupree posts impressive offseason workout video; Steelers fans hope the work pays off

Bud Dupree is putting in work this offseason, but will it make a difference in his game?

By Jeff.Hartman@BnGBlitz Jun 30, 2019

The Pittsburgh Steelers made an investment in outside linebacker Bud Dupree prior to the 2019 regular season. That investment was a hefty one too as they picked up the former Kentucky linebacker’s 5th year option, costing the organization roughly $9 million dollars for his services this season.

A large contingent of fans were up in arms when the team decided to give Dupree the money, based on the fact he has yet to really live up to the expectations of a first round draft pick.

As an outside linebacker, you are gauged by one thing, and one thing only — sacks. This might not be fair considering how much the Steelers have their outside linebackers drop into coverage, but when fans point to an outside linebacker’s stats, they always reference sacks first.

In Dupree’s first four years, he has never totaled more than 6 sacks in a season (2017), and has tallied just 20 sacks throughout the same time span. For a comparison, T.J. Watt, who is entering year three, already has already totaled in two years what took Dupree four.

Not a good look for Dupree.

With his freakish size and speed there is no reason why he shouldn’t be nearing double-digit sacks every season, and with Watt now a legitimate threat on the other side he will be seeing even more one-on-one coverage than he did before.

This offseason Dupree has been putting in work, and he posted a new workout video, similar to one last year, showing him working on his craft. Take a look at the video which was posted on his verified Twitter account:

This isn’t the first time Dupree has posted an offseason workout video. Last year he showed himself doing work with Von Miller in the offseason, and as fans clamored to see if it would make a difference during the season, his 5.5 sacks in 2018 left them feeling deflated.

Will this year be different? Will Dupree’s work pay dividends in a contract year? Only time will tell, but hopefully Dupree doesn’t think the video posted will have an impact on the fan base’s impression of him as a player.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...-off-sacks-nfl

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Bud Dupree posts impressive offseason workout video; Steelers fans hope the work pays off

Bud Dupree is putting in work this offseason, but will it make a difference in his game?

By Jeff.Hartman@BnGBlitz Jun 30, 2019

The Pittsburgh Steelers made an investment in outside linebacker Bud Dupree prior to the 2019 regular season. That investment was a hefty one too as they picked up the former Kentucky linebacker’s 5th year option, costing the organization roughly $9 million dollars for his services this season.

A large contingent of fans were up in arms when the team decided to give Dupree the money, based on the fact he has yet to really live up to the expectations of a first round draft pick.

As an outside linebacker, you are gauged by one thing, and one thing only — sacks. This might not be fair considering how much the Steelers have their outside linebackers drop into coverage, but when fans point to an outside linebacker’s stats, they always reference sacks first.

In Dupree’s first four years, he has never totaled more than 6 sacks in a season (2017), and has tallied just 20 sacks throughout the same time span. For a comparison, T.J. Watt, who is entering year three, already has already totaled in two years what took Dupree four.

Not a good look for Dupree.

With his freakish size and speed there is no reason why he shouldn’t be nearing double-digit sacks every season, and with Watt now a legitimate threat on the other side he will be seeing even more one-on-one coverage than he did before.

This offseason Dupree has been putting in work, and he posted a new workout video, similar to one last year, showing him working on his craft. Take a look at the video which was posted on his verified Twitter account:

This isn’t the first time Dupree has posted an offseason workout video. Last year he showed himself doing work with Von Miller in the offseason, and as fans clamored to see if it would make a difference during the season, his 5.5 sacks in 2018 left them feeling deflated.

Will this year be different? Will Dupree’s work pay dividends in a contract year? Only time will tell, but hopefully Dupree doesn’t think the video posted will have an impact on the fan base’s impression of him as a player.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...-off-sacks-nfl

With our luck at the OLB position, Dupree will have 12-15 sacks and price himself out of our market.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    With our luck at the OLB position, Dupree will have 12-15 sacks and price himself out of our market.
    I was think EXACTLY the same thing. I weirdly think 9 or 10 would be preferable.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

$9M is too much for Dupree, but as the ceiling for edge rushers rose to around $23M (Mack) and $18M as a more common high end number this off-season, it is not as bad as it was when the top guys were around $12M.

Still too much for what he has done, but more palatable than it would have been prior to this year, considering there weren't many options.