Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: GM Kevin Colbert Defends Bud Dupree, Steelers’ Presumed Lack Of OLB Depth

Legend

User Info Menu

Dupree is an enigma. You want the guy to be a playmaker, he flashes plays in a few games, gets tantalizingly close to the QB a couple times a game but alas you go home generally disappointed with what you saw.

Here's hoping he turns the corner this year...

Legend

User Info Menu

Daniel Valente
    @StatsGuyDaniel

Tuzar Skipper now has
    2 Sacks
    5 QB Hits
    1 Fumble Recovery
    in his first two preseason games.
    With Ola Adeniyi injures, Skipper is taking the ball and running with it.

https://twitter.com/StatsGuyDaniel?r...hiefs-Steelers

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I certainly don't have the answer on bud, but his play last night was solid. good angles, good speed, good power - I'd say, what they have expected all these years. I don't know if one game is enough for the steelers to have confidence in him long term - but IF the money risk is low, I expect they try one more time to see if they get a return on this investment.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Starlifter View Post
    I certainly don't have the answer on bud, but his play last night was solid. good angles, good speed, good power - I'd say, what they have expected all these years. I don't know if one game is enough for the steelers to have confidence in him long term - but IF the money risk is low, I expect they try one more time to see if they get a return on this investment.
    I also think it was mentioned several times by the announcers that what Bud does directly benefits TJ Watt. The pressure Dupree creates forces the QB to move and Watt has benefited.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Bud problem is not getting to the qb, his problem is what he does once he gets there. Bud was in the top 5 in qb pressures about 10 games in. So those that are calling him a bust are only seeing what they wants to see.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Bud's got the best jump off the snap in the entire league. It's after the snap that his game falls apart.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Here's hoping he turns the corner this year...
    literally... instead of running upfield, right past the QB
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    literally... instead of running upfield, right past the QB
    You know Dat is truth.

Nobody can get behind a QB as fast as he can.
    Cant wait for a Jets game......dude would kill "patient" Bell in the backfield every play.

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers’ Dupree looks to break out in 5th season

PITTSBURGH (AP) — Bud Dupree seemingly has the total package. A chiseled 6-foot-4 and 269-pounds, long and athletic with raw speed and explosiveness rarely amassed for an NFL edge rusher.

Dupree’s skillset has tantalized the Pittsburgh Steelers for years, even if his pass-rushing production has not.

But as he sits on 20 sacks over four NFL seasons, could it be that Dupree will have his long-awaited breakout on his way out of Pittsburgh?

Playing on a fifth-year option worth $9.23 million and scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent next spring, Dupree is showing signs he’s ready to cash in — figuratively and literally — on that seemingly limitless potential to be next in line among a litany of productive Steelers outside linebackers.

“I just see him as more of a complete rusher,” said Steelers defensive captain Cameron Hewyard, who lines up next to Dupree at right defensive end.

“And hopefully that shows in the regular season as well. We all know Bud is speed demon, but he has that physicality — now, he’s just showing it more.”

Dupree showed off some of his power pass-rush moves during the Steelers’ most preseason game, having two sacks of the Kansas City Chiefs’ Chad Henne over a three-possession span in the first half of a 17-7 Steelers win last Saturday.

Two near-misses of sacks by position mate T.J. Watt over that same 17-snap span made for such a tease of what the Steelers’ pass rush from the edge could look like that coach Mike Tomlin — somewhat uncharacteristically — gushed to the Steelers’ official media outlet during halftime of that game that ”(Dupree) and T.J. have the makings of an awesome tandem.”

Dupree agrees, albeit in more muted tones. He said that he and Watt “definitely” discuss becoming the next, say, James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley, or Greg Lloyd and Kevin Greene, “all the time.”

“We have fun with it,” Dupree said this week after the first Steelers practice back in Pittsburgh after the breaking of camp at Saint Vincent College.

“But we try to make sure we are practicing and making sure we’re watching film and combine all the (skills) that we have.”

For Watt, that hasn’t been an issue, at least insofar as sacks are concerned. He has exactly as many career sacks as Dupree, in only half of the NFL seasons.

Though Dupree reminds that his job description goes well beyond pressuring opposing quarterbacks — dropping in pass coverage, for example — that remains the primary tenet of his job as well as the one he’s seemingly most equipped for given his skillset.

Dupree laid out his strategy for tapping those god-given abilities for more sacks.

“Making sure you take (knowledge of the game) another step,” he said. “That above-the-neck game. And then just going out and executing.

“I’ve always been a fast guy my whole life, so people know I’ve got speed, people know I’ve got power,” Dupree said moments earlier. “It’s just the setups — you’ve got to have setups. Every rush is not going to be a sack. So it’s got to be a continuous setup, a first move sets up a second move, the second move set up the third move, and those first 10 rushes might set up the 11th rush for a sack. But you’ve got to make sure it’s all in your gameplan and all in your head.”

Dupree too often early in his career has relied solely on his speed and quickness to rush to the outside.

Although he many times has beaten tackles this way, it’s also commonly left him too wide of (or behind) the quarterback.

Last Saturday’s preseason game showed a new trick up the sleeve of Dupree and the Steelers. Dupree cut inside while Heyward handled the edge on Dupree’s sacks, the stunts a rarely-before seen part of Dupree’s pass-rush repertoire.

“I want to make sure he’s able to show that more,” Heyward said. “If he wants to come inside, all we’ve got to do is communicate. We’re just working on that communication a lot more; this is our second year together on the same side, so we’re looking for even better results.”

https://www.apnews.com/37606c1954164bcd931c73ca44251839