Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Steelers had Competition to Move Up to the 10th Spot and Get Bush

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The Steelers had Competition to Move Up to the 10th Spot and Get Bush

It looks like the Steelers had competition to move up and take Bush. Both the Giants and Falcons tried to get the pick. Also, it seems Denver was going to pick Bush but the Steeler offer was too good. All this according to Peter King who was in the Denver draft room. Here is the entire story:

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/04/pe...0-1st-rounder/

Legend

User Info Menu

nice... now no one can say "they gave up too much" because it's what it took to get him...
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Late-March Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
    2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    4.117 - Jordan Travis, QB, FSU
    6.178 -Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    nice... now no one can say "they gave up too much" because it's what it took to get him...
    While I like the move myself.......
    Another take is that other teams wanted him but weren't as dumb as us to give up too much.

Certainly if the Broncos would have taken him THEY think there was greater value in what we gave them than what we got.
    Just sayin.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Denver, coming off 5-11 and 6-10 seasons in succession...they needed a greater quantity of prime picks overall. A mid-first, a mid-second, and a future 3rd is more valuable to their overall team rebuilding effort than one single potentially elite player they could have taken with their early first round pick.

On the other hand, that one top-notch talent in the middle could be the final piece that we need to bring our overall defense together.

This trade could potentially benefit both teams. They were able to get Flacco a dynamic TE prospect in Noah Fant at #20 (we know Flacco loves throwing to TE's more than anything), and they were also able to use our #52 to trade up earlier in round 2 to also get potential future Flacco replacement Drew Lock as well.

Speaking of which, how weird is it that the two horsey-based NFL teams now have QB's named Drew Lock and Drew Luck. Odd.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Denver, coming off 5-11 and 6-10 seasons in succession...they needed a greater quantity of prime picks overall. A mid-first, a mid-second, and a future 3rd is more valuable to their overall team rebuilding effort than one single potentially elite player they could have taken with their early first round pick.

On the other hand, that one top-notch talent in the middle could be the final piece that we need to bring our overall defense together.

This trade could potentially benefit both teams. They were able to get Flacco a dynamic TE prospect in Noah Fant at #20 (we know Flacco loves throwing to TE's more than anything), and they were also able to use our #52 to trade up earlier in round 2 to also get potential future Flacco replacement Drew Lock as well.

Speaking of which, how weird is it that the two horsey-based NFL teams now have QB's named Drew Lock and Drew Luck. Odd.
    Nice in theory. But if that were standard, nobody would keep a top 10 pick (perhaps with QB needs excepted).
    I will take "great" over quantity every time. That is why teams value top picks even if they have "quantity" needs.

The fact that we won a bidding war and drafted the same dude the trading team wanted only ensures that we definitely paid way more than market value to move up.

If he is.......I know people will hate this.......the next Ray Lewis, it will be well worth it.
    I am hopeful that this is the case.
    Frankly, the talk of his "leadership" points to this possibility.
    I hear we scouted him way in excess of typical so hopefully we know something other teams dont.

But I take no solace in knowing we had to outbid other teams to get him, because even the teams who want him, must feel (hopefully they are wrong) it cost too much to acquire him.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 04-30-2019 at 11:54 AM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Based on the surprising team defense competence and immediate precipitous drop off when Shazier was lost 2 years ago, I sure hope Bush is the one missing piece

Banned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Nice in theory. But if that were standard, nobody would keep a top 10 pick (perhaps with QB needs excepted).
    I will take "great" over quantity every time. That is why teams value top picks even if they have "quantity" needs.

The fact that we won a bidding war and drafted the same dude the trading team wanted only ensures that we definitely paid way more than market value to move up.

If he is.......I know people will hate this.......the next Ray Lewis, it will be well worth it.
    I am hopeful that this is the case.
    Frankly, the talk of his "leadership" points to this possibility.
    I hear we scouted him way in excess of typical so hopefully we know something other teams dont.

But I take no solace in knowing we had to outbid other teams to get him, because even the teams who want him, must feel (hopefully they are wrong) it cost too much to acquire him.
    Considering we are in the same conference as the Broncos, I"m happy that they still did the deal with us. Maybe there thanking us for that victory we gave them last year.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post

There are three horsey-based NFL teams.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tiproast View Post
    There are three horsey-based NFL teams.

Kind of looks like a dragon.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AzStillers1989 View Post
    Kind of looks like a dragon.
    Maybe Philip Rivers is married to the Khaleesi.

Doesn't he have like a full baseball team worth of kids or something?

Having that many children wreaking havoc around the house at the same time is the closest thing I could imagine to being the mother of dragons.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.