Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Seems like the major competition in Latrobe will be on the defensive side this summer

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    We need to upgrade of Big Red. We had special teams before him and we can have special teams without him.
    I'd take an upgrade of everyone on the roster.

There will be some guys on the roster who are almost pure ST guys (Big Red, Heyward-Bey, Chidi from the past). If Red's the 52nd or 53rd guy on the roster, I don't think it's terrible if he really only plays special teams (or gets snaps on D in case of emergency).

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I'd take an upgrade of everyone on the roster.

There will be some guys on the roster who are almost pure ST guys (Big Red, Heyward-Bey, Chidi from the past). If Red's the 52nd or 53rd guy on the roster, I don't think it's terrible if he really only plays special teams (or gets snaps on D in case of emergency).
    I think therin lies the problem...Love the guy but he should NEVER get snaps on D, especiall now

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Disco1981 View Post
    I think therin lies the problem...Love the guy but he should NEVER get snaps on D, especiall now
    I think we tend to keep 9 LBs. I bet that every year there are 2-3 that we don't want to ever get snaps on D.

LB seems like a natural place to find good ST players to me.

Legend

User Info Menu

Marcus Allen’s Time On The Bench May Be Over

By Alex Kozora
    Posted on May 7, 2019

Like any college starter turned rookie, Marcus Allen hated sitting on the bench in 2018. That patience may have finally paid off. Allen is poised to have a key role in the Pittsburgh Steelers’ defense this season. After failing to draft a safety, Mike Tomlin pointed to Allen as one of the players they anticipate having a key role in the Steelers’ sub-package defense.

A stark contrast to what he experienced as a rookie. Allen struggled to get a hat on Sunday’s and wound up playing 30 snaps. Total. 18 on defense, most of that coming in the “no smoke” loss against the Chargers, and an additional 12 on defense.

“Throughout my whole football career I’ve never had to sit the bench and wait for my opportunity,” he recently told Steelers.com’s Teresa Varley. “It was new to me. It definitely humbled me and matured me more.”

Not even during his true freshman season at Penn State did Allen sit on the bench. He played all 13 games, making seven starts, and received several accolades to All-Freshman teams. By his next season, he was their full-time starting safety. Injuries never left him on the sidelines too, missing one game in college. So sitting the way he did last year was brand new.

He took it in stride the best he can, utilizing practice as his gameday.

“I treated practice like a game. Practice for me is fun. Coach Tomlin always told me to stay ready, even if you’re not up stay ready so you don’t have to get ready.”

It’s a similar story we’ve heard from players like Josh Dobbs. When he was the #3 QB as a rookie, he routinely found receivers to throw with after practice. By the next year, Dobbs became the backup. For Allen, he’ll be in-line to log significant snaps.

Should he be Pittsburgh’s dime defender, and he’s the leader in the clubhouse, Allen may play north of 300 snaps. Last year, the team ran their 2-3-6 dime defense more than 37% of the time, most of any personnel grouping. Perhaps that gets reduced a bit after signing Mark Barron and drafting Devin Bush but even if that happens, dime will be used on 3rd and long and obvious passing situations (end of half, end of game).

The defense has struggled to find a competent dime defender since introducing it as part of their personnel groupings a few years ago. They’ve cycled through Robert Golden, William Gay, and Morgan Burnett as primary options. All three of those had short-lived roles in that spot, struggling to cover receivers and make splash plays in space.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/05/ma...h-may-be-over/

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Marcus Allen’s Time On The Bench May Be Over

By Alex Kozora
    Posted on May 7, 2019

Like any college starter turned rookie, Marcus Allen hated sitting on the bench in 2018. That patience may have finally paid off. Allen is poised to have a key role in the Pittsburgh Steelers’ defense this season. After failing to draft a safety, Mike Tomlin pointed to Allen as one of the players they anticipate having a key role in the Steelers’ sub-package defense.

A stark contrast to what he experienced as a rookie. Allen struggled to get a hat on Sunday’s and wound up playing 30 snaps. Total. 18 on defense, most of that coming in the “no smoke” loss against the Chargers, and an additional 12 on defense.

“Throughout my whole football career I’ve never had to sit the bench and wait for my opportunity,” he recently told Steelers.com’s Teresa Varley. “It was new to me. It definitely humbled me and matured me more.”

Not even during his true freshman season at Penn State did Allen sit on the bench. He played all 13 games, making seven starts, and received several accolades to All-Freshman teams. By his next season, he was their full-time starting safety. Injuries never left him on the sidelines too, missing one game in college. So sitting the way he did last year was brand new.

He took it in stride the best he can, utilizing practice as his gameday.

“I treated practice like a game. Practice for me is fun. Coach Tomlin always told me to stay ready, even if you’re not up stay ready so you don’t have to get ready.”

It’s a similar story we’ve heard from players like Josh Dobbs. When he was the #3 QB as a rookie, he routinely found receivers to throw with after practice. By the next year, Dobbs became the backup. For Allen, he’ll be in-line to log significant snaps.

Should he be Pittsburgh’s dime defender, and he’s the leader in the clubhouse, Allen may play north of 300 snaps. Last year, the team ran their 2-3-6 dime defense more than 37% of the time, most of any personnel grouping. Perhaps that gets reduced a bit after signing Mark Barron and drafting Devin Bush but even if that happens, dime will be used on 3rd and long and obvious passing situations (end of half, end of game).

The defense has struggled to find a competent dime defender since introducing it as part of their personnel groupings a few years ago. They’ve cycled through Robert Golden, William Gay, and Morgan Burnett as primary options. All three of those had short-lived roles in that spot, struggling to cover receivers and make splash plays in space.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/05/ma...h-may-be-over/
    Thanks Hawaiian; good story. More to watch in for in camp and preseason
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Safety help: Rookie free agents Dravon Askew-Henry, P.J. Locke could stick with Steelers

BRIAN BATKO
    Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    MAY 10, 2019

Once he signed with the Steelers a few days after the NFL draft, it occurred to P.J. Locke III that he knew of someone who’s been here before.

“Here” being an undrafted free agent, a rookie safety, and even in the exact spot where Locke was standing Friday afternoon, the first day of Steelers rookie minicamp. Locke didn’t know former Steelers starter Ryan Clark, but he knew he wanted to pick his brain.

“I feel like, what better guy to reach out to than Ryan Clark?” Locke explained. “Because he basically did it right here, so I wanted to use him as a mentor.”

Locke reached out to Clark and the two exchanged messages about what the former Texas defensive back in Steelers rookie camp can do to stick around the South Side. Clark, now an NFL analyst for ESPN, even mentioned on Twitter how impressed he was to hear from Locke.

“I have so much respect for this kid already,” Clark wrote. “Soon as he signed we connected! He is gonna work his butt off. Trust me. Hope he is so much better than I was.”

Let’s not get ahead of ourselves, but Locke and fellow undrafted signee Dravon Askew-Henry — an Aliquippa native — should have a better chance than most rookie free agents of carving out a role with the Steelers. They didn’t draft a safety to complement a group that includes Sean Davis, Terrell Edmunds, Marcus Allen and Jordan Dangerfield.

That’s a bit thin, considering how often safeties are used on special teams and in sub-packages these days. Plus, Davis is entering the final year of his contract, and coach Mike Tomlin has mentioned Allen as a potential hybrid linebacker type of player.

“I wasn't aware of [the depth chart] until after they gave me the offer,” said Locke, who was a team captain at Texas. “I took that into perspective and felt like it was a great fit.”

Askew-Henry, who started all 51 games he played at West Virginia, was the first strong safety on the field Friday when the Steelers rookies lined up for 11-on-11. But he confirmed that doesn’t matter one bit, and neither does the pecking order at his position.

“I actually don’t know nothing about the safety situation,” Askew-Henry said. “I can only control what I can control.”

For now, that’s his competition with other roster hopefuls, especially Locke. The two bring similar profiles, beyond being undrafted free agents. Both were honorable mention All-Big 12 last season. Locke had 77 tackles last season, Askew-Henry 54. Askew-Henry had two interceptions to Locke’s one. The Steelers list Askew-Henry at 6 feet, Locke at 5-10, but both at 202 pounds — and the two cut nearly the same figure on the field.

One major difference is that Locke hails from Beaumont, Texas, while Askew-Henry was born and raised a county away. A place where, as he puts it, “the water’s different.”

“Aliquippa’s a small place,” Askew-Henry said. “Ty Law, Darrelle Revis, Sean Gilbert, Arno Askew, I could go all the way down the list. They stay in touch with athletes around our way. I talk to all of them.”

That means one Steelers rookie safety has Ryan Clark’s ear, and another has an entire football hotbed behind him. Both are adamant they have the versatility needed to help a team at this level, with Askew-Henry insisting he can line up on an island to cover a wideout or come up in the box to stop the run. Locke, who also played nickelback at Texas, repeated something he and his father have always believed — that he can cover like a cornerback and hit like a linebacker.

The two also sounded an awful lot alike when asked how much time they’ll be dedicating to learning the system now that they’re in the Steelers organization.

“I ain’t got nothing else to do,” Askew-Henry said, flashing a wide grin above his thick beard, “so I’ll just stay around here, get to learn the playbook, my teammates, my coaches, and I’m looking forward to the journey.”

Locke — who admitted he’s more concerned about how he can be seen on special teams first — relayed the advice he received from Clark, who spent eight seasons with the Steelers and four prior ones with the Washington Redskins and New York Giants, the team he latched on with upon being undrafted.

“He said to just always show myself, as far as always be out here [on the field] working, always be in the film room,” said Locke, who describes himself as a “gym rat.”

“I told him that’s a piece of cake, because that’s all I do.”

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/201905100117

Legend

User Info Menu

Ryan told him simply “ball out”. Because there are jobs to be had on this team.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Ryan told him simply “ball out”. Because there are jobs to be had on this team.
    and I would think more so at safety than at any other position...

Legend

User Info Menu

that's one way for Cam Sutton to get the coaches to notice him -

Legend

User Info Menu

Gotta admit...I've never seen a football helmet visor with a picture of a horror movie hockey mask on it. I can't imagine that would be approved by the league for use in actual games, but I guess it's anything goes in OTA practices with no pads on and such.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.