Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: TE

Legend

User Info Menu

Even If Vance McDonald Bounces Back, Steelers Need Serious Help At TE

By Alex Kozora
    Posted on February 3, 2020

Let’s cut right to the chase.

The Pittsburgh Steelers need to invest heavily in a tight end. They’re long overdue.

For a franchise built through the draft since Chuck Noll and Bill Nunn arrived on scene, for too long they’ve ignored the position. But Alex, you’ll say, they had Heath Miller. There was no need to invest. Fair enough. But Miller’s been retired since 2015 and Pittsburgh’s far from the only team to have a cornerstone tight end over the last decade.

Here are the facts. The last tight end the organization’s selected on Day One or Two of the draft, top three rounds, was Matt Spaeth.

In 2008.

Their highest selection at the position has been the 5th round. Jesse James in 2015, Zach Gentry last year.

Since 08, every other team has used at least a fourth round pick on a tight end. 31 of the 32, Carolina being the only exception, invested a third round pick or higher on a tight end.

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/02/ev...us-help-at-te/

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Wow... I just went back and read thread from the beginning. Funny reading this post, this was right after the draft. It seemed we all had high hopes for the O, and that TE was our only weakness, only if we would of known.... How things change so quickly...

A year later we are back to the same problem. Is it me, or does it seem like the front office is a year or two late. We need ILB after Schazier, we gathered bums, till we drafted Bush. We need Safeties, we went with Davis and bums, till we drafted Edmunds and got lucky with Fitz. So hopefully we solve the TE this year.

I think we should go all in Ravens draft of 2018. They cleared the house with Pitta and crew, and they went on and drafted 2 TEs- Hurst in the 1st, and Andrews in the 3rd.

Back to rereading this thread....

Ruthless made some good points, one that stuck our was how the Raiders released Willlson ( how many "L" does this guy have in his name?), and Seattle picked him up. He probably is the reason why Vanette was expendible. Willllllson played excellent for Seattle, we should of picked him up and saved the 5th in this draft. ( who would of known right? besides Ruth making that pick)

Oviedeo also made a prediction that Gentry will overtake Grimble in having a bigger role towards end of season, and that Grimble was not a #2 TE. Gentry in last 2 games didn't appear that bad, he looked already equal to JJ, but it was what 5 plays. (Remind me to listen to you more)

Jake Butt what eve happened to that guy?

That Hudson dude too?
    Last edited by steeler_george; 02-05-2020 at 08:26 AM.
    “I’m so tired of Le’Veon," DeCastro told reporters (h/t ESPN's Jeremy Fowler ([url]https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1038909446146203649[/url])) after Sunday's game. "I’m so tired of it. Let’s just worry about the guys in here. I know you guys have stories to write and what not. I love Le’Veon, but we gotta worry about the guys in here. They’re the only people that matter to me."

Legend

User Info Menu

Report: Chargers could use franchise tag on Hunter Henry after Rivers departure

https://larrybrownsports.com/footbal...r-henry/537583

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Report: Chargers could use franchise tag on Hunter Henry after Rivers departure

https://larrybrownsports.com/footbal...r-henry/537583
    I expect that they will. HH is too pricey for us, anyway, and hasn't had a real good track record with injuries thus far.
    2020 Draft Mock #1
    2-17 -- Lloyd Cushenberry, C/G, LSU
    3-38 -- Cam Akers, RB, FSU
    4-18 -- Ben Bartch, G/T, St. John's
    4-29 -- Thaddeus Moss, TE, LSU
    6-19 -- Trevon Hill, Edge, Miami
    7-18 -- Juwuan Jones, DL, Western Kentucky

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I expect that they will. HH is too pricey for us, anyway, and hasn't had a real good track record with injuries thus far.
    yep... with the Steelers cap space they will be shopping for a TE here:

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    yep... with the Steelers cap space they will be shopping for a TE here:

True, but in their clearance section.
    In the last decade, 25% of the league has won a super bowl(the Steelers aren't one of them) and 25% have as many or more playoff wins as the Steelers.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If the Steelers could grab Adam Trautman (Dayton) or Harrison Bryant (FAU) or Albert Okwuegbunam (Missouri) at pick 38 in the 2nd round, that'd be tremendous value. I've seen a couple of mocks where some of not all three are available then.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    If the Steelers could grab Adam Trautman (Dayton) or Harrison Bryant (FAU) or Albert Okwuegbunam (Missouri) at pick 38 in the 2nd round, that'd be tremendous value. I've seen a couple of mocks where some of not all three are available then.
    I really think that we will have the #1 TE on the board at our disposal in the 2nd round. Everyone before us is going to go after the remaining WR and OT, who will have a 1st round grade in the 2nd round. Add a run of CB/S (D) in the begining of the 2nd, RBs, IOL.

I think we will pass though, value probably won't be there compared to other players/positions available.
    “I’m so tired of Le’Veon," DeCastro told reporters (h/t ESPN's Jeremy Fowler ([url]https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1038909446146203649[/url])) after Sunday's game. "I’m so tired of it. Let’s just worry about the guys in here. I know you guys have stories to write and what not. I love Le’Veon, but we gotta worry about the guys in here. They’re the only people that matter to me."

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_george View Post
    I really think that we will have the #1 TE on the board at our disposal in the 2nd round. Everyone before us is going to go after the remaining WR and OT, who will have a 1st round grade in the 2nd round. Add a run of CB/S (D) in the begining of the 2nd, RBs, IOL.

I think we will pass though, value probably won't be there compared to other players/positions available.
    I still think our 2nd Round pick will be an Offensive Lineman (need to replace Finney and build for future) or Defensive Lineman (Hargrave replacement plus Tuitt injury insurance). TE will be available one or two rounds later.

Legend

User Info Menu

Word is that the Colts have no interest in resigning Eric Ebron because he shut himself down due to an ankle injury knowing he was an upcoming FA. I liked him coming out of college and still like what he offers.