Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: So... do you feel good about the safety position after the draft?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    Hmm... the SB MVP was busted for a banned substance.

I don’t think it’s that big of a deal in football unless it was heroin.
    The "banned substance" wasn't heroin for Randy Gregory or Josh Gordon or Martavis Bryant ... but I'd say it's been kind of a big deal in all their cases. Kind of a big deal for the teams who couldn't count on them contributing for significant periods of time due to their use of the "banned substance."

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    The "banned substance" wasn't heroin for Randy Gregory or Josh Gordon or Martavis Bryant ... but I'd say it's been kind of a big deal in all their cases. Kind of a big deal for the teams who couldn't count on them contributing for significant periods of time due to their use of the "banned substance."
    Theo Lawson
    @TheoLawson_SR

According to a source, #WSU's Jalen Thompson lost his final year of eligibility because he purchased an over the counter supplement at a nutrition store. The source made a point to emphasize it was not a steroid Thompson bought. Will gather more details as they become available.

7:09 PM - Jun 29, 2019
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Hard-hitting Texas safety could become Steelers' camp surprise

By JIM WEXELL

He can play safety, cornerback, nickelback, even linebacker.

He reportedly ran a 4.38 40 and put up 22 reps at his pro day.

He made 31 starts and played in 38 games at a major power-five university.

He weighs 202 pounds at 5 feet 10.

He's a vocal team leader who left high school with a 3.85 GPA and graduated from college in three-and-a-half years.

He has a vision of helping his community.

And, he hits like this:

This player was surely drafted by the end of Day 2, right?

Wrong. The Steelers didn't draft P.J. Locke, didn't even sign the versatile defensive back from Texas until two days after the draft. And the Steelers are a team that has an opening in their safety corps.

Locke has been one of the competitors for that opening(s), along with Marcus Allen, Kameron Kelly and Dravon Askew-Henry.

The guy from Texas has a chance.

"It's been a smooth transition," Locke said during the final week of spring practice with the Steelers. "Feeling good being back at safety; really just getting down the plays and getting special teams right because I know that's how I make my mark, on special teams."

Locke was a mainstay on the punt team at Texas, with a minor on the kickoff team. On defense, he was the proverbial Swiss army knife.

"You're drafting six guys in one," Locke told the Beaumont Enterprise.

Beaumont is his hometown in Texas, where he was raised by a former defensive back at Oklahoma State, James Locke, who's now a constable, and a former Lamar University point guard, Ramona Locke, who's a teacher.

They raised the two-time All-State defender who made the honor roll all four years at Central High. Locke changed his mind about attending Oregon just before signing day and stayed home at Texas. He so impressed new coach Tom Herman that Herman called Locke's parents "to personally thank them for sending us a marvelous human being."

At Texas, Locke made his first start against Baylor and knocked quarterback Chris Johnson out of the game and caused a fumble all in one fell swoop.

Locke made nine starts his sophomore season, and once again his big game was against Baylor. He intercepted his first pass and recovered a fumble.

"I made my mark against Baylor. I did," Locke said. "And that year Baylor was pretty good. I think they were top 10. So we beat them and messed up their hopes and dreams. At that point I kind of locked in that nickel spot."

As a junior, Locke was named a team captain, but only made eight starts because of a sports hernia. He returned with his best season in 2018 with 13 starts, 77 tackles, two forced fumbles and an interception in the Sugar Bowl against Georgia, which had trailed Texas at halftime 20-7 and recovered an onside kick to open the second half. Four plays later, though, Locke ended more hopes and dreams with an interception of a deep Jake Fromm pass intended for Riley Ridley.

"It was a turning point," Locke said of a play that loomed large in Texas' 28-21 win as a double-digit underdog. "Our team just prepared like crazy. We prepared like no other. We were definitely the underdog in that game."

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh...cke-133605829/

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think it’s best to find out what it was before writing him off

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    I think it’s best to find out what it was before writing him off
    Agreed. But for you to say it's not a big deal unless it's heroin ... I was just pointing out that there have been other drugs used that have resulted in some pretty significant problems for players and their teams.

Banned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Hard-hitting Texas safety could become Steelers' camp surprise

By JIM WEXELL

He can play safety, cornerback, nickelback, even linebacker.

He reportedly ran a 4.38 40 and put up 22 reps at his pro day.

He made 31 starts and played in 38 games at a major power-five university.

He weighs 202 pounds at 5 feet 10.

He's a vocal team leader who left high school with a 3.85 GPA and graduated from college in three-and-a-half years.

He has a vision of helping his community.

And, he hits like this:

This player was surely drafted by the end of Day 2, right?

Wrong. The Steelers didn't draft P.J. Locke, didn't even sign the versatile defensive back from Texas until two days after the draft. And the Steelers are a team that has an opening in their safety corps.

Locke has been one of the competitors for that opening(s), along with Marcus Allen, Kameron Kelly and Dravon Askew-Henry.

The guy from Texas has a chance.

"It's been a smooth transition," Locke said during the final week of spring practice with the Steelers. "Feeling good being back at safety; really just getting down the plays and getting special teams right because I know that's how I make my mark, on special teams."

Locke was a mainstay on the punt team at Texas, with a minor on the kickoff team. On defense, he was the proverbial Swiss army knife.

"You're drafting six guys in one," Locke told the Beaumont Enterprise.

Beaumont is his hometown in Texas, where he was raised by a former defensive back at Oklahoma State, James Locke, who's now a constable, and a former Lamar University point guard, Ramona Locke, who's a teacher.

They raised the two-time All-State defender who made the honor roll all four years at Central High. Locke changed his mind about attending Oregon just before signing day and stayed home at Texas. He so impressed new coach Tom Herman that Herman called Locke's parents "to personally thank them for sending us a marvelous human being."

At Texas, Locke made his first start against Baylor and knocked quarterback Chris Johnson out of the game and caused a fumble all in one fell swoop.

Locke made nine starts his sophomore season, and once again his big game was against Baylor. He intercepted his first pass and recovered a fumble.

"I made my mark against Baylor. I did," Locke said. "And that year Baylor was pretty good. I think they were top 10. So we beat them and messed up their hopes and dreams. At that point I kind of locked in that nickel spot."

As a junior, Locke was named a team captain, but only made eight starts because of a sports hernia. He returned with his best season in 2018 with 13 starts, 77 tackles, two forced fumbles and an interception in the Sugar Bowl against Georgia, which had trailed Texas at halftime 20-7 and recovered an onside kick to open the second half. Four plays later, though, Locke ended more hopes and dreams with an interception of a deep Jake Fromm pass intended for Riley Ridley.

"It was a turning point," Locke said of a play that loomed large in Texas' 28-21 win as a double-digit underdog. "Our team just prepared like crazy. We prepared like no other. We were definitely the underdog in that game."

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh...cke-133605829/
    He’s got all the tools; I would really like for him to pan out.

Legend

User Info Menu

Kameron Kelly picks off Dobbs:

Legend

User Info Menu

Updated: Steelers S Sean Davis Exited Sunday’s Padded Practice Early With Finger Injury

By Dave Bryan
    Posted on July 28, 2019

The Pittsburgh Steelers first padded training camp practice of 2019 is now over and safety Sean Davis had to leave that session after apparently suffering a finger injury of some sort.

Davis, who is now in the final year of his rookie contract, was reportedly seen by several fans leaving Chuck Noll Field at Saint Vincent College Sunday afternoon while holding his right hand. After Davis left the field backup defensive back Kameron Kelly replaced him at free safety, according to our own Alex Kozora.

After practice ended, Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin announced that Davis had suffered a finger injury and that it is currently being evaluated. Tomlin guessed that the injury might be a dislocation..

This is the second-year at free safety safety for Davis, who registered 80 total tackles, 7 pass breakups and an interception last season. Davis also led the Steelers in total defensive snaps played last season.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/07/st...parent-injury/

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Agreed. But for you to say it's not a big deal unless it's heroin ... I was just pointing out that there have been other drugs used that have resulted in some pretty significant problems for players and their teams.
    That was sarcasm. My point is unless it’s the 3rd or 4th violation it’s best to find out what it was for before writing a player off.

Tate was just suspended 4 games for using a fertility drug. He and his wife are trying to have a baby. You never know what a player is suspended for so it’s best to find out before acting like a player has an addiction.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Kameron Kelly picks off Dobbs:
    When Dobbs is in it seems every corner looks like Woodson, every safety the next Troy.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher