Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: So... do you feel good about the safety position after the draft?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    Unfortunately Mike Hilton may have taken that slot for the decade lol

I'd love to see Brian Allen get a shot at Safety (and actually stick). Marcus Allen is a guy that I think may be the guy that fits your description...and the primary reason why we didn't draft a Safety, or seek one out in FA.
    Ernie, you took the wind right out of my sails saying we used our juice on Hilton already. LOL
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

My official proclamation: WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. SO WHY DELAY THE INEVITABLE?

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Legend

User Info Menu

Buy Or Sell: Sean Davis Will Produce 3+ Turnovers In 2019

By Matthew Marczi
    Posted on May 19, 2019

The offseason is inevitably a period of projection and speculation, which makes it the ideal time to ponder the hypotheticals that the Pittsburgh Steelers will face over the course of the next year, whether it is addressing free agency, the draft, performance on the field, or some more ephemeral topic.

That is what I will look to address in our Buy or Sell series. In each installment, I will introduce a topic statement and weigh some of the arguments for either buying it (meaning that you agree with it or expect it to be true) or selling it (meaning you disagree with it or expect it to be false).

The range of topics will be intentionally wide, from the general to the specific, from the immediate to that in the far future. And as we all tend to have an opinion on just about everything, I invite you to share your own each morning on the topic statement of the day.

Topic Statement: Safety Sean Davis will product three-plus turnovers in 2019.

Explanation: Davis recorded three interceptions during his second season and produced a forced fumble as well. That had people hoping he could be a playmaker the defense needed, but he only has two total turnovers in his other two seasons, including one last year in his first as the free safety.

Buy:

The caveat with Davis up to this point in his career is the simple fact that he has always been moved around a bit, which makes it harder to settle into one role. The most consistency he had was heading into that second season, as he began starting at strong safety in the second half of his rookie year.

Not only was he in his first season of working at free safety in 2018—something he had never done before—he was also working with a rookie throughout the season in Terrell Edmunds, and that comes with added responsibilities.

2019 should prove to be a much more stable one for Davis as he and Edmunds head into their second season as a pair working together. Provided that he’s able to finally settle into his spot, and his role, he has the athletic and schematic capabilities to make those plays, as he showed in 2017.

Sell:

Outside of Ryan Shazier, the only players who have recorded three or more interceptions in a season since Troy Polamalu quite a while ago were Davis, Artie Burns, and Mike Mitchell. Mitchell is gone, Burns is fending for a job, and Davis hasn’t exactly been a ballhawk throughout his career.

Up to this point, the three-interception season is the anomaly, and he has to prove otherwise. To do that, he has to show a lot of growth into his free safety role. There were clear growing pains in 2018 moving to the more rangy position, so he will have to curb that to be able to put himself in more opportunistic situations.

And the pass he intercepted last season? A bad one by Taysom Hill.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/05/bu...overs-in-2019/

Legend

User Info Menu

I think Sean and Bud need to room together so when their both jettisoned, it will be one open and clear room for two real valuable players to step into. LOL
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

My official proclamation: WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. SO WHY DELAY THE INEVITABLE?

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    I think Sean and Bud need to room together so when their both jettisoned, it will be one open and clear room for two real valuable players to step into. LOL
    You really think we are going to cut our starting FS and starting OLB? Seriously?!?!?
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Jeremy Fowler
    ESPN Staff Writer

Steelers safety Terrell Edmunds said new pass interference rules will be ‘tough' but will incentivize players to use their feet more than their hands.

16h
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

P.J. Locke: ‘I Believe I Can Play Anything’

By Matthew Marczi
    Posted on May 28, 2019

While the Pittsburgh Steelers signed former Texas defensive back P.J. Locke officially as a safety, the reality is that those things can often change. Roosevelt Nix was signed as a linebacker initially, after all. But Locke believes that he is capable of playing all over the field, and like Sutton Smith is willing to show it.

Locke, one of a couple of notable safeties to sign with the Steelers after the draft following seven rounds of only one defensive back—cornerback Justin Layne—being added to the roster, told Chris Adamski all about his confidence in his versatility.

“I believe I can play anything – I kind of have experience at every position”, he told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. And he did play both safety and cornerback, and even linebacker, going back to high school, playing a more blended role in college.

“I just feel comfortable at every position”, he said, “so I think it helps me more because I know certain things that nickel has to do, I know certain things linebacker has to do. So when I get put back at safety, I kind of know what holes are open and things like that”.

Former Steelers defensive back Carnell Lake also believed that his experience playing a variety of positions—he moved from linebacker to safety when he was drafted and then also later played cornerback at the NFL level—helped him with his global understanding of the defense, and of the game itself, which eventually led him into coaching.

But of course Locke isn’t looking to get into coaching any time soon. He wants to be on an NFL roster later this fall and bringing down running backs, tight ends, wide receivers—whoever might have the ball that he is tasked to stop.

While that versatility in his background can certainly be an asset—and working with Ryan Clark as a mentor won’t hurt either—the best thing playing in his favor for the Steelers might just be the numbers game, as the team only really had four safeties on the roster prior to the draft. They carried six into the season a year ago, and often have five, so you have to figure there is an opportunity for somebody there if they earn it.

Sean Davis is the biggest name at the position right now, a player entering his fourth season who has started for most of his career, but alongside him his 2018 first-round pick Terrell Edmunds, who started for nearly all of his rookie season.

Then there is Marcus Allen, another second-year player looking to make a jump, who may get the first crack at the dimeback job, and Jordan Dangerfield is a veteran who has been around for over half a decade in some form or fashion. Locke could be a welcome addition if he earns his way.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/05/p-...play-anything/

Legend

User Info Menu

Now healthy, Marcus Allen is ready to show the Steelers what he can do

The former Penn State product is healthy now, and ready to show the Steelers what he can bring to the safety position.

By Jeff.Hartman Jun 2, 2019

The Pittsburgh Steelers took a hard-hitting safety named Marcus Allen out of Penn State in the 2018 NFL Draft, but there was very little hitting being done by the former Nittany Lion. As it turns out, Allen’s inactive status throughout 2018 was more due to injury than an inability, or incapability, to play the game at the NFL level.

Fast forward to 2019 and the second year player is not only healthy, but making plays in Organized Team Activities (OTAs). Yes, it is nothing more than ‘football in shorts’, but for Allen it is much more than that. It is a chance for him to prove what he is capable of.

“It feels good to get back to work,” Allen told Kevin Gorman of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “Last year, I wasn’t out here for OTAs so it was like being on the outside looking in and getting the feel of it.”

When reflecting back to last season, Allen felt plenty of frustration with the hamstring injury which held him out all of rookie minicamp, OTAs and even a large portion of training camp.

“It bothered me a lot. I got here, got drafted and had high expectations for myself. Being not ready and able to go out there and show what I can do was disappointing. I wanted to show what I can do. Now that I’m all good and healthy it feels like I’m back at home.”

If there was a positive spin to take away from Allen’s inactivity last year it was his ability to learn the playbook front-to-back. Now, back on the field, he can move with a speed and ferocity which got him drafted in the first place.

“It feels second nature now, honestly, just going out there and performing,” Allen said. “I know our plays and got it down pat.”

So, what should fans expect from Allen in 2019? No one really knows for sure, but Allen is ready to put his best foot forward and make plays for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

“I expect better things completely this year,” Allen said, “but just being out there last year, fulfilling my dream, was incredible. Just walking out the gates and looking at the stadium with everyone roaring was crazy.

“Every game is motivation, to be honest. Just not being out there and looking on the sideline, I knew my time was coming.”

When it comes to his position, there is certainly a spot to be had on the roster. Outside of Sean Davis and Terrell Edmunds, the Steelers are looking for depth at safety, and while fans love pointing to undrafted rookies like P.J. Locke and Dravon Askew-Henry, it seems you shouldn’t forget about Allen and his potential to be the answer to the question of depth at the strong safety position.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...state-nfl-news

Legend

User Info Menu

All these experiments ; Tomlin has a lot to figure out.

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    All these experiments ; Tomlin has a lot to figure out.
    It's not experiments. It's reality in today's NFL where you are spending more time in nickel/dime specialty defenses than you are in your base set.

You need safeties willing to come up into the box and get their nose dirty just as much as you need linebackers who are able to drop and cover TE's and RB's out of the backfield. The lines between safety and linebacker are being blurred somewhat now.

You just need to find guys who are athletically capable and mentally willing to do whatever it takes to make plays against the run and the pass in the middle of our defense.

We brought in Morgan Burnett to be this type of guy for us last year, but injuries made him athetically incapable early on, and then a guy who was always a starting SS in this league was mentally unwilling to accept a role as a mere dimebacker at this stage of his career.

It would appear that we now have several options here of guys who should be both capable and willing to fill this role for us in 2019. That's a positive sign, for sure.

Experiments are things like Belichick using WR Troy Brown as a CB or using LB Mike Vrabel as a TE. Or us converting college WR and UDFA DE Alejandro Villenueva into a Pro Bowl LT or converting UDFA college DE Roosevelt Nix into a Pro Bowl FB (while also doing something similar with Sutton Smith at FB now in OTA's as well).

Legend

User Info Menu

Everything’s slowed down for Terrell Edmunds heading into second season

Posted by Josh Alper on June 4, 2019, 7:03 AM EDT

Steelers General Manager Kevin Colbert said this offseason that the team would ideally like to have their draft picks delay “getting onto the field as long as you can” so that they can get acclimated to the NFL before being in the thick of the fray.

Circumstances don’t always allow for that, however, and safety Terrell Edmunds is a prime example of that. Edmunds was a first-round pick last year and wound up playing 1,189 snaps on defense and special teams.

That’s more than any other rookie in the league played last year and finished the year with 78 tackles, a sack and an interception. Edmunds said he felt like he got better as the year progressed. He also feels better prepared for this season after the heavy workload.

“Everything slows up in your mind,” Edmunds said, via the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “Last year you can say everything was moving faster. From the first day of OTAs last year to the first day of OTAs this year, you can just tell because everything was moving so fast, everybody was moving fast. And now that you have those snaps under your belt, that year under your belt, you’re one of those guys now, like you’re moving fast to the young guys now. The calls, the playbook, everything, you can say, is easier, you know what to expect. Now you can just go out there, get more comfortable and play your game.”

The Steelers may be veering from Colbert’s ideal path again this year. They traded up to take linebacker Devin Bush with the 10th overall pick and the rookie has a clear path to early playing time alongside Edmunds in the Pittsburgh defense.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/06/04/everythings-slowed-down-for-terrell-edmunds-heading-into-second-season/