Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ulysees Gilbert III

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TD386Steel View Post
    For what its worth the draft guy across from Rich said he was an excellent cover guy
    So he's LJ Forts and potentially Mark Barron's replacement
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

LJ Fort signed with the eagles

no way he pushes Barron this year, and I would be surprised if he makes the 53

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Itís usually a surprise - - and a pleasant one- - when a 200th-plus pick makes the 53 in his rookie season. Thatís what the practice squad is for.

Legend

User Info Menu

It will likely be more Danny Smith's input re: this kid's special teams prowess (as opposed to Keith Butler's input re: this kid's defensive prowess) is what will ultimately determine whether we'll be keeping him on the 53 man roster over the practice squad in 2019.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

The Person Behind The Player: LB Ulysees Gilbert III

By Daniel Valente
    Posted on May 1, 2019

Ulysees Gilbert III has accumulated a very decorated resume during his time at Akron. An invitation to the 2019 Shrine Game, two First Team All-MAC selections, two Defensive MVP selections and a Second Team All-MAC selection; the list goes on and on for his contributions on the field. To understand why the former Akron linebacker excels on the field, first you must understand what fuels his play off the field. Academics is a critically important part of Gilbertís collegiate career and his academic achievements are just as worthy as his athletic achievements.

CoSIDA Academic All-America nominee, MAC Distinguished Scholar-Athlete, Academic All-MAC and two-time Summa Health Student-Athlete of the Week, Gilbert is a student both on the field and in the classroom. The linebacker spoke to Draft Wire about the importance of academics.

ďThe reason I did it is because it was pretty much instilled in me at a young age. My dad and mom really taught me that academics are really important because at the end of the day, football and sports in general donít last long but academics and your degree will forever. So, Iíve really taken a lot of pride in that.Ē

Gilbertís study habits carry from the class room to the film room where he studies every formation and scheme that his opponents may use against his defense. Football is very much like chess, where the key to victory is out smarting the opponent and as the quarterback of the defense, Gilbert has to be ready for everything his opponent could throw at him. Knowing your opponent is only one half of the battle though, as the former Akron linebacker tells Andrew DiCecco how he also studies his own tendencies.

ďI feel like Iím a student of the game. I love learning new techniques. I love studying the game, I love studying my opponents Ė as well as myself and everyone around me Ė so I can understand who Iím playing with and how they play,Ē says Gilbert.

The Pittsburgh Steelers selected Gilbert in the sixth round of the 2019 NFL Draft. Not only was he the third player chosen from the MAC but he was also the third linebacker selected by the team. Each of the three linebackers selected by the Steelers have shown to have two common traits Ė character and high football IQ. Gilbert called plays for two seasons at Akron before moving from the MIKE role for his final season. The linebacker shows no lack of confidence in his abilities to call plays and organize his teammates as the quarterback of the defense.

ďCommunication was key and I knew what everybody else was doing and that is where you get the quarterback of the defense. I really feel like that is me because I take a lot of pride in knowing what everybody else does around me,Ē Gilbert told Draft Wireís Zachary Hicks.

Like all of his draft mates, Gilbert is another dose of character injected in a locker room that was arguably fractured last season. The linebacker is extremely committed to improving his game and is a reliable piece the Steelers can count on for the foreseeable future.

ďI truly believe you are going to get somebody that is reliable. Reliable and loves the game of football. I would say reliable just because Iím always on time, I will always show up, Iíd never put the team in any trouble or anything, I always show up to work happy, I always give it my all each and every time during film, workouts, practicesÖ It doesnít matter. I just love the game of football,Ē Gilbert says to Hicks.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/05/th...s-gilbert-iii/

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Nice pre-draft interview. Seems like a great kid. Ran a 4.51 40 at the Akron Pro Day.

https://draftwire.usatoday.com/2019/...ert-iii-akron/

What is my team getting if I draft Ulysees Gilbert III?

UG: I truly believe you are going to get somebody that is reliable. Reliable and loves the game of football. I would say reliable just because Iím always on time, I will always show up, Iíd never put the team in any trouble or anything, I always show up to work happy, I always give it my all each and every time during film, workouts, practicesÖ It doesnít matter. I just love the game of football. I enjoy being around the guys, I enjoy practices and games, I enjoy workouts, and I just enjoy the game itself. The whole thing about football is just love and Iíve loved it since I was little.
    Iím always going to give my all and I feel like if you always give it your all, no matter what you do you are going to be fine. I really think those are the two biggest things but I really think reliable is a big one because being on time and focused really says a lot about who I am and just a respectful guy who would never put myself or a team in jeopardy.

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers HC Mike Tomlin hints at Ulysees Gilbert III at outside linebacker

By: Curt Popejoy

Thanks to the draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers now have an excess of linebackers. Itís going to be the job of the coaching staff to figure out which guys stay and which guys go and even who is going to play which position.

Itís clear based on the players the Steelers brought in this offseason, they are blurring the lines between traditional roles of linebackers in a 3-4 defense. Devin Bush, Mark Barron, Sutton Smith and Ulysees Gilbert III are all new additions with unique skills sets and NFL-caliber athleticism.

Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin spoke about the new linebackers and his comments on Gilbert was quite interesting. Tomlin lumped Gilbert in with second-year player Ola Adeniyi and fellow rookie Sutton Smith as potential depth at outside linebacker.

In studying Gilbert you note he was moved all around the formation at Akron and with his athleticism, it makes sense you donít want to lock him into a spot. But if we are talking about Gilbert as an outside linebacker, his success will be off ball and not with his hand on the ground as an edge rusher.

The addition of Gilbert, if he can drop into coverage as an OLB could potentially allow T.J. Watt to rush the passer more. Watt is the no worse than the second-best pass rusher on the team along with Cam Heyward but because heís such a good athlete finds himself in coverage too much.

Players like Gilbert and Devin Bush have the chance to balance the scales for the Steelers defense against all these high-flying offenses of the NFL. If they can do this, players like Watt and Heyward could absolutely feast on quarterbacks knowing there is coverage flexibility behind them.

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/20...de-linebacker/

Legend

User Info Menu

It would be a huge blessing if Gilbert showed out in camp and preseason to be a guy that could make Dupree simply fade to black by season’s end.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (An 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

My official proclamation: WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. So why delay the inevitable?

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    It would be a huge blessing if Gilbert showed out in camp and preseason to be a guy that could make Dupree simply fade to black by season’s end.
    The article says specifically, "But if we are talking about Gilbert as an outside linebacker, his success will be off ball and not with his hand on the ground as an edge rusher." Even if Gilbert and Dupree are each designated OLB on the roster sheet, the way they would be deployed on defense is completely different.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Sunday, May 05, 2019 09:00 AM

'He could really cover a lot of ground'

Mike Prisuta

Steelers.com

Why you should be excited about sixth-round pick Ulysees Gilbert:

He’s productive: Gilbert, a 6-foot, 224-pound inside linebacker, had a combined nine sacks in 2016 and 2017 at Akron. He registered five of those sacks, along with 141 tackles, 9.5 tackles for a loss, seven passes defensed and three interceptions in 2017.

He’s decorated: Gilbert was a first-team All-MAC selection in 2016 and 2017.

He’s versatile: General Manager Kevin Colbert considers Gilbert an “outside linebacker-capable, fast, space player. He runs 4.48. He's an active guy. In today's football, a lot of times that linebacker is removed from the formation. He plays over the slot.”

He’s also a special teams-capable player: “We think Ulysees can compete for special teams play, as well as give us the new type of athleticism that you look for (at inside linebacker).

Added head coach Mike Tomlin: “We imagine that Gilbert is a guy who can distinguish himself in that area, as well.”

He can potentially make outside linebacker deeper: “We’re excited about what Ola (Adeniyi) can do,” Colbert said. “But then you throw in a guy like Sutton Smith who played at the same level collegiately and had a lot of success in the MAC, so there’s going to be good competition there whether it’s for the last spot or special teams.

“You throw in a guy like Ulysees Gilbert, now you got three similar body types fighting for those spots. The competition can only make them all better.”

He had the right mindset at Akron: “He could really cover a lot of ground, sideline to sideline and he'll hit you,” inside linebackers coach Jerry Olsavsky said. “That's what we look for. If you like to run around and hit people, you know you're good for us.”

He impresses on and off the field: “I'm glad we drafted Ulysees,” Olsavsky said. “We had him up for a visit. We saw a lot of good thing on film and he runs well, plays out of the box, which is where today's game is going.

“He was just really a genuine kid when he came up here. He likes to play the game, he likes to run around and hit people. I'm extremely pleased to have him.”

His pass coverage capabilities matter: “When a team trusts you to put you out of the box on a wide receiver, they have confidence that you can go out there and you won't be embarrassed or you're not going to slip up in your coverage,” Olsavsky said. “That's a skill that he naturally has, and we like that.”

https://www.steelers.com/news/he-could-really-cover-a-lot-of-ground