god forbid anybody have an opinion otherwise
    Don’t take it personal buttercup.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    let's just all fall in lockstep and praise everything the team does

should make for a great message board

god forbid anybody have an opinion otherwise
    Is that different from falling in lockstep and hating everything they do?

I never know enough about NCAA FB to have a strong opinion on whether or draft was good or bad. Wait and see is the only thing that makes sense to me

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    Is that different from falling in lockstep and hating everything they do?

I never know enough about NCAA FB to have a strong opinion on whether or draft was good or bad. Wait and see is the only thing that makes sense to me
    And you have every right to feel things YOUR WAY. So the people who feel the other way have the same right to feel things THEIR WAY. That’s the beauty of this country.,
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Draft prospects are evaluated on the basis of:

1. Statistics in college games.

In the age of the internet, fans have regular access to this raw info at any time. Some sites even offer some unique "next generation" statistics and other analytical data. There is obviously more info readily available for skill position players than linemen, for instance. Statistics in certain college systems do not necessarily translate very well as predictors of production in the pro game, though.

2. College game footage.

We can watch the network feed of NCAA games on Saturdays, and can also find highlights after the fact on YouTube (although those clips tend to focus only on positive aspects). We don't necessarily have access to All-22 coach's film, though.

3. Athletic measureables.

We have access to numerous data from the scouting combine and pro days. Fans tend to put more stock into straightforward numbers such as a low 40 time means you are fast and a high bench number means you are strong, but scouts tend to be more interested in other numbers such as 3-cone time and shuttle runs. Some players can refuse to take part in certain parts of the pre-draft testing process, and other players who may be rehabbing an injury might not be tested at all.

4. Player interviews.

We can hear players and their coaches being interviewed by the media on ESPN, NFL Total Access, or Sirius NFL Radio, but those questions tend to be more of the softball variety as opposed to the hard-hitting inquiries that front office personnel would be asking. Teams need to try to get as much information about a player's attitude, work ethic, football IQ, love of the game, leadership qualities, etc. but we don't have access to very much of this information as outsiders.

5. Medical evaluations.

We know when players suffer major injuries such as torn ACL's, when they had surgery, when they are available to return to practice or games, but beyond that, we are completely blind as to any details about a particular player's medical history due to HIPAA laws.

To sum up, we as fans have access to a small amount of information with regard to each of these parts of a player evaluation, but by no means do we fans have anywhere close to the amount of information that the teams are able to collect. I have opinions about these players, both good and bad, but I'm not so delusional to think that I could possibly know even close to as much about any of them as Colbert and our scouts do.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    That's because they have more information as fans on message boards and are smarter and more talented analysts of football talent...plus they aren't happy unless they find something to be unhappy about. The Bush pick was a killer because it was so hard to be critical about.
    . That’s probably so, with that said...I’ve seen some “board scouts” with better track records than this FO. Two cents.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I like who we picked for the most part. Wishing we had addressed our backfield more. Tomlin forgot to call me, so I wasn't surprised.

Hoping for vetran cuts to help us. Also hoping we abandon the 10 yard LeBeau cushion, especially against the cheats.
    Last edited by Djfan; 04-28-2019 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Fat fingers
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

My son's first Kansas Turkey!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AzStillers1989 View Post
    Don’t take it personal buttercup.
    This is exactly what I’m talking about.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    . That’s probably so, with that said...I’ve seen some “board scouts” with better track records than this FO. Two cents.
    Hahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Djfan View Post
    I like who we picked for the most part. Wishing we had addressed our backfield more. Tomlin forgot to call me, so I wasn't surprised.

Hoping for vetran cuts to help us. Also hoping we abandon the 10 yard LeBeau cushion, especially against the cheats.
    Yeah, I have to admit I’m waiting on the vets that get cut at safety and DE.