Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Isaiah Buggs

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers rookie Isaiah Buggs looking to seize opportunity on depleted defensive line

RAY FITTIPALDO
    Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    MAY 13, 2019

Alabama has had 39 players selected in the NFL draft over the past four springs. Nine of them have been defensive linemen, including one in the first round in each of the past three drafts.

Crimson Tide coach Nick Saban produces defensive linemen for the NFL at a better rate than any other coach in college football. Quinnen Williams was regarded by many as the best player in this year’s draft. The burly defensive tackle was selected third overall by the New York Jets.

Isaiah Buggs, overshadowed by Williams and other talented linemen during his two seasons at Alabama, was taken 189 picks later in the sixth round by the Steelers.

“I expected my name to be called earlier, but things happen for a reason,” Buggs said at rookie minicamp over the weekend. “At Alabama, I did what I was supposed to do. I still made it to the league.”

Buggs might carry a chip on his shoulder for falling all the way to the middle of the sixth round, but he has a good chance at sticking in the league with many of his Alabama teammates because the Steelers desperately need a rotational defensive lineman behind their trio of starters.

Cameron Heyward and Stephon Tuitt are the starting defensive ends and Javon Hargrave mans nose guard. Veteran Tyson Alualu was re-signed to be the top reserve at both positions, but after that there isn’t much depth.

The only other player on the roster with NFL experience is six-year veteran Daniel McCullers, but he only has three career starts on his resume and played just 111 snaps last season. L.T. Walton, a sixth-round pick in 2015, was not re-signed and no other players competing for spots this spring and summer have played in the NFL.

That opens the door for Buggs not only to make the 53-man roster, but for him to have a role if he shows the coaches he is capable.

“There is an opportunity there,” said Buggs, who stands 6-feet-3 and weighs 303 pounds. “I just have to come in and work each and every day like it’s my last day here. That will set the tone for where I need to be.”

Not long ago, Buggs was one of the top college prospects in the country. He was the No. 1 junior college recruit out of Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College in 2017. In his first season at Alabama, he started 13 games, but he had just 1 ½ sacks and was overshadowed by Williams and Da’Ron Payne, the No. 13 overall pick in last year’s draft.

Buggs did post better numbers in his second and final season at Alabama. He led the Crimson Tide with 9 ½ sacks and earned second-team All-American honors. Some draft analysts had a third- or fourth-round grade on Buggs. The Steelers used the second of their three sixth-round picks on him

Defensive line coach Karl Dunbar indicated the Steelers had better than a sixth-round grade on Buggs.

“I think he was rated pretty high,” Dunbar said. “Some guys had higher grades on him. We're just fortunate that he was still there in the sixth round.”

Buggs did not test well at the NFL combine, and he’s projected to move from an outside rusher to an interior defensive lineman for the Steelers. There also were questions about his conditioning.

“He was explosive,” Dunbar said. “He was a kid that could get on the edge. I think he was a good pass rusher over the offensive guard. He’s a guy who can play [shaded between the guard and tackle], and a guy where we go to sub, which we do a lot of, he can get over the guard and the center and be a productive player.”

This is the second consecutive year the Steelers drafted a defensive lineman that Dunbar coached at Alabama. Last year they took nose tackle Joshua Fraizer in the seventh round. Frazier was beat out by McCullers and did not make the team or the practice squad.

Buggs and Dunbar have a good relationship, but he knows it won’t help him if he doesn’t perform well.

“It helps a lot, but that won’t determine whether you’re on this team,” Buggs said. “I have to go in each and every day like he’s never coached me before. I have to buy in and listen to what he says. I have to listen and do what he tells me to do.”

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/201905130085

Legend

User Info Menu

Isaiah Buggs Sees ‘An Opportunity There’ To Contribute Along D-Line For Steelers

By Matthew Marczi 

Posted on May 15, 2019 at 11:00 am

It’s not every year that a team drafts two players in the second round that generate some buzz before they every take the field. but the Pittsburgh Steelers’ first two of three selections in the sixth round of the 2019 NFL Draft have garnered a decent amount of discussions within the fanbase.

The first of those was MAC outside linebacker prospect Sutton Smith, who looks like he might have a pass-rush repertoire he can put in place at the NFL level—provided that his size doesn’t prove to be too much of a hindrance to that end.

The second is Alabama defensive lineman Isaiah Buggs, who is coming in looking, most likely to compete at best for a game day helmet as the fifth player on the depth chart. But even that could represent a significant upgrade for a defensive line that has been lacking quality depth for several years.

The thing that separates Buggs from other depth linemen in recent years such as L.T. Walton and Cam Thomas is the fact that he can bring something to the table as a pass rusher, recording something like 10 sacks in his final season with the Crimson Tide. They haven’t had a quality pass rush off the bench since Brett Keisel moved into that role in his final season in 2014.

Said the rookie, “there is an opportunity there” in the defensive line room, according to Ray Fittipaldo of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “I just have to come in and work each and every day like it’s my last day here. That will set the tone for where I need to be”.

As goes without saying, that is a healthy attitude for him to take as he attempts to crack into the NFL as a late-round pick. While Walton’s not being re-signed leaves the sixth defensive line slot available, he will still have to compete for that position with Lavon Hooks, Casey Sayles, Greg Gilmore, and others. Joshua Frazier, also from Alabama, was a seventh-round pick a year ago and failed to even make the practice squad.

While his defensive line coach with the Steelers also recruited him and then coached him at Alabama—that being of course Karl Dunbar—he has already said that he can’t look at that as a factor in whether or not he’s going to make the roster. He has to take his fate into his own hands. After all, it didn’t work for Frazier, either, his former teammate.

The Steelers have one of the top starting defensive lines among 3-4 teams in the NFL with Pro Bowler Cameron Heyward leading the way, and supplemented by sixth-year Stephon Tuitt bookending him and fourth-year Javon Hargrave in the middle.

While Tyson Alualu as the fourth man represents quality depth with the first man off the bench, a player like Buggs who can offer a pass rush would really help to round out this group and solidify their game day troupe, minus Daniel McCullers.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/05/isaiah-buggs-sees-an-opportunity-there-to-contribute-along-d-line-for-steelers/
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Sometimes I think it's better to take the productive guy over the guy with the bigger potential that's the better athlete.

Legend

User Info Menu

Isaiah Buggs Explains Why He Goes By Nickname ‘Big Pooh’

By Matthew Marczi
    Posted on May 18, 2019

It used to be that adding size to your defensive line was highly desirable, but that has not been the trend over the course of the past decade or so as NFL offenses continue to use more and more three- and four-wide receiver sets, which have defenses countering with smaller and faster defenses.

The Pittsburgh Steelers already have a Big Dan on their roster. Now they’re bringing in Big Pooh, though he’s not quite as big as the name would suggest, in NFL defensive lineman terms. In fact, he is a player who is very much in-line with where the game has shifted.

A 6’3” defensive lineman within the vicinity of about 300 pounds, the Steelers drafted Alabama’s Isaiah Buggs in the sixth round believing that he would be somebody capable of playing up and down the team’s defensive line, both inside and outside, and in the 3-4 front as well as in the nickel and dime. And on the goal line, too, of course.

So how did he end up being called Big Pooh, which he even goes by on Twitter, without irony? He explained that during rookie minicamp, thankfully.

“It’s from my oldest brother”, he told Chris Adamski of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, “because ever since I was small I was kind of chubby and big – so he called me, ‘Pooh Bear.’ So that’s where that name came from ever since”.

Of course, as he grew up—quite a bit, of course—and got into football, Pooh Bear evolved into Big Pooh. Not exactly the most flattering name when you hear it for the first time, but if you know the background, it works, and it’s something he identifies with.

There is a small opening for Big Pooh in the Steelers’ defensive line room after the team chose not to re-sign L.T. Walton, who served as their number six at the position last season. He spent most of 2018 as a healthy scratch, though he was the primary backup to Javon Hargrave in 2017.

The team did not sign anybody to fill Walton’s roster, however, so Buggs figures to have as clear a shot as any to make the roster, and he will be competing with players such as Lavon Hooks, Casey Sayles, and Greg Gilmore. All three were in training camp last season, though only Hooks remained with the team. He has been on the practice squad for the past two years.

He knows that his game can’t be all size, of course. “You’ve got to know [how to play on] all downs on the upfront”, he said. “They have got a different package for you to be in every situation, so you have got to learn it all”.

He has previously said that he sees an opportunity for himself within the Steelers’ room, and it doesn’t hurt that he will be instructed by Karl Dunbar, who recruited and coached him with the Crimson Tide, though he certainly doesn’t plan to rely upon that.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/05/is...medium=twitter

Legend

User Info Menu

Nevermind his play.
    Dude needs to no just make the team but play plenty so he gets opportunities to make plays just so the crowd can go-
    Pooooooh!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Isaiah Buggs Explains Why He Goes By Nickname ‘Big Pooh’

By Matthew Marczi
    Posted on May 18, 2019

It used to be that adding size to your defensive line was highly desirable, but that has not been the trend over the course of the past decade or so as NFL offenses continue to use more and more three- and four-wide receiver sets, which have defenses countering with smaller and faster defenses.

The Pittsburgh Steelers already have a Big Dan on their roster. Now they’re bringing in Big Pooh, though he’s not quite as big as the name would suggest, in NFL defensive lineman terms. In fact, he is a player who is very much in-line with where the game has shifted.

A 6’3” defensive lineman within the vicinity of about 300 pounds, the Steelers drafted Alabama’s Isaiah Buggs in the sixth round believing that he would be somebody capable of playing up and down the team’s defensive line, both inside and outside, and in the 3-4 front as well as in the nickel and dime. And on the goal line, too, of course.

So how did he end up being called Big Pooh, which he even goes by on Twitter, without irony? He explained that during rookie minicamp, thankfully.

“It’s from my oldest brother”, he told Chris Adamski of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, “because ever since I was small I was kind of chubby and big – so he called me, ‘Pooh Bear.’ So that’s where that name came from ever since”.

Of course, as he grew up—quite a bit, of course—and got into football, Pooh Bear evolved into Big Pooh. Not exactly the most flattering name when you hear it for the first time, but if you know the background, it works, and it’s something he identifies with.

There is a small opening for Big Pooh in the Steelers’ defensive line room after the team chose not to re-sign L.T. Walton, who served as their number six at the position last season. He spent most of 2018 as a healthy scratch, though he was the primary backup to Javon Hargrave in 2017.

The team did not sign anybody to fill Walton’s roster, however, so Buggs figures to have as clear a shot as any to make the roster, and he will be competing with players such as Lavon Hooks, Casey Sayles, and Greg Gilmore. All three were in training camp last season, though only Hooks remained with the team. He has been on the practice squad for the past two years.

He knows that his game can’t be all size, of course. “You’ve got to know [how to play on] all downs on the upfront”, he said. “They have got a different package for you to be in every situation, so you have got to learn it all”.

He has previously said that he sees an opportunity for himself within the Steelers’ room, and it doesn’t hurt that he will be instructed by Karl Dunbar, who recruited and coached him with the Crimson Tide, though he certainly doesn’t plan to rely upon that.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/05/is...medium=twitter

Legend

User Info Menu

As long as he doesn't pooh in a closet, I'll consider that a win.

Legend

User Info Menu

Why, why, why is McCullers still on the roster!##@!1???

Legend

User Info Menu

Isaiah Buggs ready to turn his Alabama pedigree into success with the Steelers

The Pittsburgh Steelers’ 6th round draft pick is ready to prove he is more than just another Day 3 draft selection.

By Jeff Hartman
    May 18, 2019, 2:07pm EDT

Of all the positions which might be viewed as thin on the Pittsburgh Steelers’ 2019 roster, most don’t think about the defensive line. With Cameron Heyward, Stephon Tuitt and Javon Hargrave there to anchor the 3-4 base defensive front, it is easy to forget about the men who are called in to spell them when necessary.

This offseason the Steelers re-signed Tyson Alualu to provide veteran depth at the position and re-signed Daniel McCullers to help solidify the nose tackle position, but that was it.

Until the 2019 NFL Draft.

After letting L.T. Walton try his hand at free agency, the Steelers filled his spot with a sixth round pick from Alabama named Isaiah Buggs. Or as he is called, “Big Pooh”.

Buggs joins the team in a position of need, and is hoping to ensure he doesn’t have the same fate as another late round Alabama defensive tackle from the 2018 draft, Joshua Frazier, who failed to make the team and is now retired from football after the AAF folded.

Frazier was a 7th round pick, and Buggs a 6th round pick, but what is it about Buggs that separates him not only from Frazier, but other picks in the draft? It all starts with his college experience at Alabama.

“Just a great coach, a great program,” he said. “Coach [Nick] Saban, you have to buy into his system, do what he tells you to do and you’ll be successful.”

With the high number of players leaving Alabama and joining the NFL ranks, the players who play for the Crimson Tide don’t think about the next level.

“Out of 100 percent of them, probably 99 percent of them are in the league,” Buggs told Teresa Varley of Steelers.com. “Just from Coach Saban, doing what you’re supposed to do and buying in. It’ll get you where you need to be.

“When you get there you don’t think about the NFL. You think about getting better, working each day and the NFL will find you.”

Despite his pedigree, Buggs saw the draft as a frustration thinking his name would be called earlier than when it was on Day 3 of the process.

“I expected to be called earlier on draft day but things happen for a reason,” he offered during the Steelers’ rookie minicamp. And maybe that reason was to come to Pittsburgh and be a player who provides quality depth at a position of need.

In 2018, Buggs registered 52 total tackles, 13.5 for a loss, and a whopping 9.5 sacks. Throw in 3 pass defenses, one fumble recovery and two forced fumbles and it is safe to say Buggs had himself a tremendous Senior season for the Crimson Tide.

Throughout his successful senior season, and frustrating draft process, Buggs knows his future will depend on one thing — getting better. “From here on out I just have to continue get better.”

If he can continue to improve, the Steelers’ defensive front will benefit greatly from another player who can get after the quarterback and stop the run while Heyward, Tuitt and Hargrave need a rest.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2019/5/18/18630683/isaiah-buggs-ready-to-turn-his-alabama-pedigree-into-success-with-the-steelers-2019-nfl-draft
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.