Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Isaiah Buggs

Legend

User Info Menu

Steely Dan: Casey Hampton is a Steeler all time great so why not get “big” guys for the NT position? Is his body type obsolete in 2019?

Brian Batko: Kind of, yes. But you still need guys to do the "Dirty Work." For what it's worth, 6th-round draft pick Isaiah Buggs goes by "Big Pooh." Not quite Big Snack, but hey, I still like it.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/201904300281

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

I like his game. Solid value.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    For what it's worth, 6th-round draft pick Isaiah Buggs goes by "Big Pooh." Not quite Big Snack, but hey, I still like it.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/201904300281
    Najeh Davenport may have something to say about that!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Isaiah Buggs goes by "Big Pooh."
    Hopefully he doesn't wander through the woods in search of honey wearing only a shirt and no pants.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

'He can get to the passer'

Mike Prisuta
    STEELERS.COM
    Saturday, May 04, 2019

Why you should be excited about sixth-round pick Isaiah Buggs:

He rolled with the Tide: Buggs, 6-foot-3, 306 pounds, led Alabama with 9.5 sacks in 2018 (fourth in the SEC). The Crimson Tide finished fourth in the nation in sacks per game (3.0, 45 total). Buggs also had 13.5 tackles for a loss (second among Alabama defenders), two forced fumbles and three passes defensed last season.

He stepped up when and where it was necessary: Buggs tied for second on the team with six tackles in the National Championship Game against Clemson.

“Buggs plays both inside and outside,” General Manager Kevin Colbert said. “Buggs' role increased this year due to some injuries that Alabama had. He ended up coming through for the Crimson Tide.”

His new coach was his old coach: Buggs was recruited to Alabama from Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College by defensive line coach Karl Dunbar, who came to the Steelers from Alabama last season.

“Very explosive guy, he can get to the passer,” Dunbar assessed. “I had the privilege of recruiting him out of Junior College to get him to Alabama and coaching him. He was the No. 1 JUCO kid coming out. He was explosive, a kid that could get on the edge. I think he was a good pass rusher over the offensive guard. So, that was the thing we really liked about him.”

Buggs was, likewise, complimentary regarding Dunbar.

“He’s a great coach,” Buggs said. “He’s taught me everything I know, the ins and outs. Great leader, and I’m just ready to go to work for him again.

“The truth of him buying in on me and me buying in on him, just a great opportunity, he knows I’m a hard worker. He knows I’m willing to do anything and everything to get the job done. And that’s what I’m going to do.”

He’s a leader of the pack: Draft analyst Dane Brugler of The Athletic said Buggs’ teammates at Alabama referenced him as the “energy-starter” and “not shy speaking up and being a leader when necessary.”

Dunbar also thinks highly of Buggs in that regard.

“He's a real excited guy,” Dunbar said. “He was one of the emotional leaders down in Alabama when I was there. You saw this year when he played.”

https://www.steelers.com/news/he-can-get-to-the-passer

Legend

User Info Menu

Kinda makes you wonder why he fell to the 6th. He could be a gamer for us.

Legend

User Info Menu

He fell to the sixth for a reason.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    He fell to the sixth for a reason.
    I know he didn't test well at the Combine, teams may have been concerned that he has a lack of athleticism to succeed at the next level.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

With Walton not signed the 6th DL spot is likely held by Lavon Hooks as of today. Buggs will be asked to play 5 tech and he had some inconsistency in his game. Looks to have some burst and can split some double team blocks. He was double teamed all day in the Texas A & M game. Had 9.5 sacks to lead Bama in 18. Even if he makes the team likely not getting a hat on Sundays but for a mid 6th rounder he at least has a decent chance to stick and possibly play a small role.
    More quick then fast has a nice get off and keeps his pads low. Hand use is decent and he'll get stronger in a pro weight room but already weights 295 and will likely play around or just above 300. He did flip on the Bama d line.
    Last edited by Iron City Inc.; 05-05-2019 at 03:29 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers Sign 2019 Draft Pick, DL Isaiah Buggs

By Dave Bryan
    Posted on May 7, 2019

The Pittsburgh Steelers have now signed their first member of their 2019 draft class and it’s defensive lineman Isaiah Buggs, the second of the team’s three third-round selections this year.

Buggs, who played his last two years of college football at Alabama after previously playing two seasons at Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College, was the 192nd overall selection in this year’s draft.

At this year’s scouting combine, Buggs measured in at 6031, 306-pounds with 31 1/4-inch arms and 9 1/4-inch hands. He ran the 40-yard dash in 5.15-seconds, did 20 reps on the bench, and had a vertical jump of 24.5-inches to go along with an 8’00” broad jump. In his two seasons at Alabama, Buggs registered 102 total tackles of which 17.5 of them resulted in lost yardage. 11 of those were sacks and he had two forced fumbles and 3 passes defensed in 29 games played in of which he started 28 of them. Buggs played up and down the defensive line at Alabama and even some over the center.

“We drafted Isaiah Buggs from Alabama, defensive tackle, and defensive end. Very explosive guy, he can get to the passer,” Steelers defensive line coach Karl Dunbar said after the selection of the Alabama product was made. “I have the privilege of recruiting him out of Junior College to get him to Alabama and coaching him. We were surprised he was still on the board in the sixth round. We jumped on the opportunity to fill in other needs early in the draft.”

According to estimates by Over the Cap ahead of this year’s draft, Buggs’ four-year contract that he signed on Tuesday is expected to total out at around $2,688,644 and include a signing bonus of roughly $168,644. His 2019 salary cap charge is expected to be around $537,161, according to those estimated numbers.

As soon as Buggs’ contract is officially filed with the NFLPA, we’ll pass along the exact numbers to you. Several more members of the Steelers 2019 draft class are expected to sign their rookie contracts by end of this coming weekend as that’s when the team’s annual rookie mini camp is scheduled to take place.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/05/st...-isaiah-buggs/