Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Sutton Smith

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Nice......but considering his career contributions to your teams success I would suggest that if I asked your coach who the best edge rusher he has ever coached he'd suggest it was the dude he got from us.
    The best edge rusher BB ever coached never played for the Patriots or the Steelers.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tiproast View Post
    The best edge rusher BB ever coached never played for the Patriots or the Steelers.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Backup

User Info Menu

That dude was my neighbor when I was growing up. He used to come down and watch some of my baseball games with his huskies. Parcells was my neighbor too. I went to high school with one of his daughters.
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    That dude was my neighbor when I was growing up. He used to come down and watch some of my baseball games with his huskies. Parcells was my neighbor too. I went to high school with one of his daughters.
    Cool story.

Was this in New Jersey?

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tiproast View Post
    Cool story.

Was this in New Jersey?
    Yep, northern New Jersey.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Well, according to Steeler Depot, Big red isn't going anywhere. For all you haters of intelligent but slow linebackers, beware!!https://steelersdepot.com/2019/05/wa...h-think-again/
    He's a good special teams player but the overpaid lumberjack offers about the same thing at ILB as the overpaid janitor does at HC. Nothing.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    He's a good special teams player but the overpaid lumberjack offers about the same thing at ILB as the overpaid janitor does at HC. Nothing.
    Hey, we want all the personnel decisions to be the right ones for Tomlin. I'm thinking that trying to emulate the evil ones in being able to morp defenses so much is a mistake. Butler and Tomlin (to me) don't have the mental acumen to pull it off at a high level. But I want them to have everything they need to do so. Then there can be no excuses.
    Last edited by Steel Maniac; 05-02-2019 at 08:44 AM.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Legend

User Info Menu

Saturday, May 04, 2019 08:00 AM

'He's got a great motor'

Mike Prisuta

Steelers.com

Why you should be excited about sixth-round pick Sutton Smith:

He can rush the passer: Smith, 6-foot and 233 pounds, amassed 56 tackles for a loss and 30 sacks in three seasons at Northern Illinois, including 54 tackles for a loss and 29 sacks in the last two seasons. Smith’s 15 sacks in 2018 tied for the FBS lead.

He’s decorated: Smith was a 2018 first-team AP All-American and the MAC Defensive Player of the Year in 2017 and 2018.

He endeavors to get to the ball or the backfield by in a hurry: Smith characterized his approach as “basically trying to be the biggest problem an offense can try and go up against. So I just try and go out there and play as fast as I can and never give up. Even if the play is like 40 yards away from me, I’m going to try and track it down and just play as fast as I can.”

He’s athletic: Smith’s 6.75 in the three-cone drill at this year’s NFL Scouting Combine compared favorably to Devin Bush (6.93) and Ryan Shazier in 2014 (6.91).

He’s potentially versatile: Smith, for the most part, was a stand-up defensive end the past two seasons at Northern Illinois. He said he’s talked initially with the Steelers about playing “a little inside backer, rush the passer, a little bit of everything, just anywhere that I can be productive.”

He’ll bring it from wherever he lines up: “I play with a lot of heart and a lot of aggression and speed, so wherever I end up, wherever I play, I’m just going to give it 110 percent,” Smith said. “I’m not going to look back. I just have to be a hard-nosed player, and that’s what I’m going to be.

“My path is to fight, and that’s all I know how to do is fight. And I’m going to do everything I can to prove to people that I can be an NFL player, that I can do whatever they need me to do, and I’m not going to be selfish. I’m just going to try and help the team in any way that I can.”

He’s already shown the Steelers a potential affinity for special teams: “We are excited about his special teams capability, watched him close down in Mobile (at the Senior Bowl) in that area,” head coach Mike Tomlin said of Smith. “This is a conversion guy, a guy that played defensive end. So, their abilities to display their special teams talents and play like linebackers is important. We got a first-hand sampling of that watching him work in Mobile.”

Added General Manager Kevin Colbert: “He's got a great motor. At the Senior Bowl, they actually worked him inside, as an inside linebacker. That's exciting from a special teams-capable player.”

He’s excelled against top-tier competition: “I think that one of the tapes that stood out about Sutton Smith was the multiple-sack game he had against Florida State,” Tomlin said.

https://www.steelers.com/news/he-s-got-a-great-motor
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers sign sixth-rounder Sutton Smith

Posted by Josh Alper on May 7, 2019, 4:08 PM EDT

The Steelers now have two of their three sixth-round picks under contract.

Shortly after they announced the signing of defensive end Isaiah Buggs, the team announced that they have also signed Sutton Smith. Both players signed four-year deals.

Smith played defensive end at Northern Illinois, but the team plans to move him to linebacker in the NFL.

“We’ll look at him outside, inside, anything that we feel like that he can fit us,” defensive coordinator Keith Butler said, via the team’s website. “He is a quick guy. He’s going to add some depth and help us on special teams. We know that he’s a great rusher. He’s going to create some great competition for us, which is always good.”

Smith had 58.5 tackles for loss and 30 sacks in college.

The Steelers now have seven unsigned draft picks, including first-round linebacker Devin Bush.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/05/07/steelers-sign-sixth-rounder-sutton-smith/

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    All this comparing drafted players to great players of the past is just ridiculous. We are doing the newly drafted guys a huge disservice by doing that. Iíve never looked at Winovich as anyone other then who he is. But I guess from what Cap has said, I may be in the minority on that. Regardless, we need to stop comparing Wrs to AB, Winovich to Kevin Greene; we should be better then that. Thatís also a sure way of missing on someone else by using that type of formula.
    I agree. My reaction is always "let's see what this guy can do" whether he was a player I liked and wanted, or a name that came out of nowhere. It's ridiculous to think that anybody here knows more about certain players, and the team's future plans, than the FO. However, to go on TV, or write an article on each draft pick saying "we'll wait and see" is very boring and won't bring any viewers or clicks. So, everybody instead makes bold claims both prior to and after, and one of the many insights have to be comparison. Makes it more visual for guys who we had no idea even existed just a month earlier.