Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Sutton Smith

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Correct......the same may be true of Sutton.
    THAT is the point!

All this talk of being "too small for the position" we've been there done that before.
    No! The point is please don't compare him to Lawrence Timmons when his comp is Tyler Matakevich

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    No! The point is please don't compare him to Lawrence Timmons when his comp is Tyler Matakevich
    TM has NO elite athletic skill. He is a "try hard" guy period.
    This kid has ELITE agility.
    They are "comps" when it comes to pigmentation my friend.

3 cone drill. This kid bests both Timmons AND athletic freak Devon Bush is that number one measure of agility.

He not only had the best time of ANY edge rusher, he had a better time than EVERY SINGLE LINEBACKER.
    Only ONE safety timed better than he did.
    He had the best 3 cone test of ANY DEFENDER at the combine who was not a defensive back!!!
    He also timed better than any receiver or running back as well.

This is stuff our scouts know that we bozos got no clue about.

So we got a kid late in the draft who not only was a beast in productivity, his timed test of agility is off the charts.

Do your research......you might not hate the pick after all.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    What size was Deebo coming out of school? He was an UDFA, and he made it.

Legend

User Info Menu

3 cone drill. This kid bests both Timmons AND athletic freak Devon Bush is that number one measure of agility.

He not only had the best time of ANY edge rusher, he had a better time than EVERY SINGLE LINEBACKER.
    He had the best 3 cone test of ANY DEFENDER at the combine who was not a defensive back!!!

So we got a kid late in the draft who not only was a beast in productivity, his timed test of agility is off the charts.

Elite agility better than any LB in the entire draft.....productive beast dealing with TACKLES and a DEFENSIVE END at 230......25 reps shows his strength. Think he has no potential somewhere whether inside or outside?
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 04-28-2019 at 04:01 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by winwithd View Post
    What size was Deebo coming out of school? He was an UDFA, and he made it.
    Sure he was productive in college. But it was a small college in the MAC.
    He was only 6 feet 230 something as I recall.
    Slow 40 time too.

Kids got no chance in this league

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

A) I would hope you're not implying I see race here
    B) Out of the top 25 s-cone drills only 1 player was drafted in the 1st round
    C) Maybe you don't know these things but "some" are plugged in at a very high level. My research is probably second to none on this board.
    D) I don't hate the guy. I hope he turns into the next Zach Thomas. BUT, our pick could have been better used IMO

Legend

User Info Menu

Elite agility better than any LB in the entire draft.....productive beast dealing with TACKLES at 230......25 reps shows his strength. Think he has no potential inside?
    I think the Steelers will start him outside but definitely give him a look on the inside.

Legend

User Info Menu

We are known for experimenting and grooming and then finding a place for a guy. That can’t be disputed. Patience will be the key.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

Legend

User Info Menu

A) I would hope you're not implying I see race here
    We all tend to see race. Its not necessarily racist, certain people "remind" us of other people and "looks" impact that.
    If D. Johnson who we drafted was a white dude, you know the honest truth is they would compare him to Wes Welker like they do EVERY SINGLE 5'9- 5'11" white receiver with a modest 40 time.

It takes effort to go beyond the obvious instinctual call. THAT was my point.

Heck when seeing this edge rusher.....Chase W...we ALL (self included) see the next Greene.......and I'm NOT talking the Mean Joe variety.
    (Some liken him to Clay Matthews too)

Last edited by Captain Lemming; 04-29-2019 at 02:00 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

B) Out of the top 25 s-cone drills only 1 player was drafted in the 1st round
    You would have a great point here if we drafted THIS GUY in the first. We didn't.
    I never contended that elite level timed agility alone makes one worthy of a first round pick.

My point is that elite timed agility (athleticism) along with elite award winning level productivity COMBINE TOGETHER to make it hard to criticize this as a bad 6TH ROUND pick.
    C) Maybe you don't know these things but "some" are plugged in at a very high level. My research is probably second to none on this board.
    I dont doubt this. You are almost certainly more researched than me. I dont question your research relative to this board.
    But unless you are a scout yourself, you got a tiny fraction of research that ONE of the team of scouts the team has.

D) I don't hate the guy. I hope he turns into the next Zach Thomas. BUT, our pick could have been better used IMO
    Odds are against ANY 6th rounder
    Make your call. What one person do you think is better at that spot?