Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Sutton Smith

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RobinCole View Post
    Ever occur to anyone that a player can be drafted at one position and end up playing another? For instance, this guy comes out of college as a small ďedge rusherĒ but heís quick and slightly taller than Devin Bush. Is there any law that says he canít add a few pounds and be switched to ILB?
    Our current starting FB Rosie Nix was an undersized defensive linemen in the MAC (Kent State).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    Lawrence Timmons was an All American and the 15th overall pick.
    Dont know how that Is relevant.
    Nevertheless, Sutton was also an AP All American

https://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...am-list-121018

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RobinCole View Post
    Sigh....So many wannabe scouts, coaches and GMs. So few vacancies.
    Truth but isnít that the fun of it? There are a couple guys here specifically IronCity and Keylargo who know their stuff. Enjoy reading all opinions on players but theirs are educated. So thereís that.

Legend

User Info Menu

I canít find much on the guy other than hype videos. So my opinion will be limited. What Iíll say is this, I think he has a real
    shot to make the team. Playing against sub par comp, he looked small but didnít play small, plays sudden. Has a nice first step. For me? Iím eager to see if I can find more. Not willing to yawn quite yet. But from what Iíve been reading he got abused at senior bowl practices. Thatís concerning. Lacks functional strength. But you can see the kids heart and solid first step quickness. I think at bare minimum he finds his way on the PS.

Legend

User Info Menu

Hey, I hope he’s a worth while project. Dupree, Big Red, those two guys are below par to me and we should be desperate to upgrade on them. I hope like hell this kid can help us.

After Dupree has another disappointing season, he won’t be here next year.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Dont know how that Is relevant.
    Nevertheless, Sutton was also an AP All American

https://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...am-list-121018
    The relevancy is that Lawrence Timmons was an incredible athlete who played his natural position in the pros and was widely regarded by almost all as a 1st round talent. Sutton Smith will need to be the next incarnation of Zach Thomas to make an impact. I will certainly be rooting for him, but I feel there were better options.

Legend

User Info Menu

This references Sutton and our entire linebacker situation. Good read.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/04/st...an-do-in-2019/
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

Legend

User Info Menu

The relevancy is that Lawrence Timmons was an incredible athlete who played his natural position in the pros and was widely regarded by almost all as a 1st round talent. Sutton Smith will need to be the next incarnation of Zach Thomas to make an impact. I will certainly be rooting for him, but I feel there were better options.
    Natural position?
    You do know Timmons was drafted as an outside linebacker right?
    I agree inside linebacker was a "natural position" for him as a pro.
    My point is the same might be the case for Sutton.

Am I making a case that he is as good as Timmons? No.
    Heck you cant make that call for ANY late pick.

All we are talking about is moving the guy from outside to inside linebacker.
    Like Timmons, his "tools" seem to lend themselves to that possibility.

If that is the possibility is being considered, his pick makes more sense.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 04-28-2019 at 02:27 PM.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Natural position?
    You do know Timmons was drafted as an outside linebacker right?
    I agree inside linebacker was a "natural position" for him as a pro.
    My point is the same might be the case for Sutton.

Am I making a case that he is as good as Timmons? No.
    Heck you cant make that call for ANY late pick.

All we are talking about is moving the guy from outside to inside linebacker.
    Like Timmons, his "tools" seem to lend themselves to that possibility.

If that is the possibility is being considered, his pick makes more sense.
    At 230 pounds, at that time(2007). ILB was definitely his natural position in a 3-4 D

Legend

User Info Menu

At 230 pounds, at that time(2007). ILB was definitely his natural position in a 3-4 D
    Correct......the same may be true of Sutton.
    THAT is the point!

All this talk of being "too small for the position" we've been there done that before.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 04-28-2019 at 03:07 PM.