Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Zach Gentry, TE

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

They must believe they can develop him, because from what I've seen, he sure looks to be a long way from a professional TE. And stashing him on the PS for development is OK. But we really need a TE who can be added to the roster right away. McDonald hasn't exactly been known for staying healthy. Perhaps they're looking to add Maxx Williams, or some other TE that will be available in FA.

Legend

User Info Menu

Folks keep talking about adding another TE as a post-draft free agent signing, but I think after cutting Morgan Burnett not drafting a safety this past weekend, that could be the way we lean instead.

I realize that Mark Barron will likely be handling Burnett's dimebacker role, but we could use another pure safety on the roster.

There are still guys available such as Eric Berry (if healthy) and Tre Boston (I don't understand why this guy always seems to be available for peanuts each offseason...there must be something I'm missing here).

We would have do some contract restructuring to make it happen, though, if that's they way we decide to go.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Maxx Williams was signed by the Cardinals
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

My official proclamation: WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. SO WHY DELAY THE INEVITABLE?

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

34.5 inch arms gives him an insane catch radius. And he’s 6’7 and not shy of contact. Yes, he’s a little stiff but there’s certainly potential there. Let’s see what Coach Daniel can do with him. Maybe McDonald helps him out as well. Worst case he’s a draft and stash guy and he developes into a usable TE in the near future.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

If he plays like Jesse James itís a nice pick up.

Legend

User Info Menu

All we can do is hope at this point.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

My official proclamation: WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. SO WHY DELAY THE INEVITABLE?

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    If he plays like Jesse James it’s a nice pick up.
    I still can't believe how much $$$ the Lions gave James, only to draft TJ Hockenson at #8.

Legend

User Info Menu

Friday, May 03, 2019 12:00 PM

'He will continue to improve and get better'

Mike Prisuta

Steelers.com

Why you should be excited about fifth-round pick Zach Gentry:

He has room to grow: Gentry, 6-foot-8 and 265 pounds, is relatively new to the tight end position, so he’s still developing as a player.

“He's a good football player, long frame,” tight ends coach James Daniel assessed. “He went to Michigan as a quarterback, and he's converted to tight end. He's had a couple years of experience playing there. He's a guy we are excited about getting in and getting to work with.”

He’s committed to getting better: “He can become a good blocker, I think,” Daniel said. “I think the kid is excited about it and willing.”

He’s traveled an NFL path: “He's learning how to become an NFL tight end,” General Manager Kevin Colbert said. “Playing in an NFL scheme coming out of Michigan, he's got a good start on it.

“He will continue to improve and get better.”

Added Gentry: “I saw a lot of people come through Michigan onto the professional football field. It helped me first of all going up against those guys in practice each day, competing against them, and working out with them. It’s just that part of it that prepares you for the NFL, along with the way the Michigan program is run and type of offense we run, as well.”

He’s productive: Gentry caught 49 passes for 817 yards and four touchdowns over the last two seasons, including 32 for 514 yards and two scores last season, when he led Michigan with 11.2 yards per target.

He’s hard to miss: “I’m a big target, but I think I’ll be able to take some hits, as well, because of my size,” Gentry said.

He’s seen the Devin Bush magic firsthand: “I can’t say enough good things about Devin Bush,” Gentry said. “He’s a great teammate, a great leader, just a freak athlete. I don’t think they could have picked anybody better in the first round. He’s so fast, great leverage, gets underneath you and he thumps you. I think that’s a tremendous pick.”

He doesn’t see Bush’s size (5-11, 234) as an issue: “Oh, absolutely not,” Gentry insisted. “No. Devin Bush’s skill set, his motor, it’s not going to matter whatsoever.”

He has football bloodlines: Gentry’s grandfather Bill was the fifth coach from the state of New Mexico to be inducted into the National High School Hall of Fame with 305 wins over his 38-year coaching career.

https://www.steelers.com/news/he-will-continue-to-improve-and-get-better
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    The guy looks runs a baby deer freshly birthed, way too many body catches, subpar route running, and did he break one tackle? Man, I hope the Steelers know something we don't about this guy.
    How many tackles did Heath break? ..and no, Iím not saying he is a Heath Miller but breaking tackles isnít high on my list for TEís. Dude is huge. Hopefully he makes a few DBís feel it when they make contact.

Dude looks like a JJ clone IMO and I thought JJ was serviceable given when he was drafted.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    The guy looks runs a baby deer freshly birthed, way too many body catches, subpar route running, and did he break one tackle? Man, I hope the Steelers know something we don't about this guy.

Can't disagree with any of that assessment