Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Zach Gentry, TE

Legend

User Info Menu

Asked and Answered: July 9

Bob Labriola
    STEELERS.COM

AARON AMBROSE FROM COLUMBUS, OH: The Steelers drafted Zach Gentry to replace Jesse James. What do you think of Gentryís talent level vs. Jamesí, and what can we realistically expect to see in his first year?

ANSWER: What Zach Gentry is able to contribute as a rookie will be determined by his ability to stay healthy enough during training camp to be able to practice daily so that he can work on his craft as heís being coached. At this point, thatís an unknown, but I have been told Gentry is a more physical player than Jesse James.

https://www.steelers.com/news/asked-and-answered-july-9

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Let's hope Gentry is decent. We can't afford many wasted picks in a year when Cleveland and Baltimore both look to have improved their talent.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Let's hope Gentry is decent. We can't afford many wasted picks in a year when Cleveland and Baltimore both look to have improved their talent.
    For the record, this offseason Baltimore lost LB C.J. Mosley, S Eric Weddle, WR John Brown, OLB Terrell Suggs, OLB Za’Darius Smith, WR Michael Crabtree, and QB Joe Flacco. Their response to such losses were to give $32M guaranteed to a now 30 year old S Earl Thomas who hasn't been fully healthy since 2015, and then also signed Saints' RB2 Mark Ingram for starting RB money (he turns 30 this season also).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Whether the Ravens care to admit it or not, they are in rebuild mode. Thomas buys them a few years of experience as they look to the draft for the future. Wish the Steelers could have made some kind of move for him, but not by gifting him a mega-contract. Even injured, Thomas is probably better than any safety on the Steelers roster. There is 'hope' that Edmunds will emerge but that is all it is at this point. He's flashed, but hasn't been consistent enough. The boatload of snaps he saw last season should help.

Legend

User Info Menu

I agree; Ravens lost a lot on defense and their going to need their offense to run the ball and keep their defense off the field as much as possible.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    I agree; Ravens lost a lot on defense and their going to need their offense to run the ball and keep their defense off the field as much as possible.
    I mean...Lamar Jackson is a RB so.....

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Let's hope Gentry is decent.
    With his immense size - if he has any hands at all - he'll be hard to defend.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Disco1981 View Post
    I mean...Lamar Jackson is a RB so.....
    And that's all he is. Terrible at imitating a QB.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.