Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers select Benny Snell, RB, Kentucky

Legend

User Info Menu

We have the makings of a physical running game. An identity making running game possibly.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

Legend

User Info Menu

At Pitt, James Conner had a total 3733 rushing yards with 52 rushing TD's but only caught 30 passes in his college career.

At Kentucky, Benny Snell had a total 3873 rushing yards with 48 rushing TD's but only caught 29 passes in his college career.

I would say that, coming into the NFL, both guys did an excellent job running the football, but both could use some more experience catching the ball out of the backfield before they could be considered to be an NFL caliber bellcow type of back.

Also, all rookie RB's entering the league will inevitably need to improve their pass protection skills before coaches will trust them with regard to picking up blitzes so the franchise QB does not get killed out there due to a rookie mistake.

Since I really like what I've seen from Snell so far as a runner already, but still want to see more from him as a pass catcher and a blocker before I would be comfortable with him handling a large load for us, this obviously means that I must be a big time Snell hater. I guess I'll have to accept that.

Will this post somehow be twisted into some grand proclamation that Snell will only ever be a backup RB at this level? Probably. Oh well.

Sorry, Benny. I really don't mean to hate you like this, but I guess I do.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    At Pitt, James Conner had a total 3733 rushing yards with 52 rushing TD's but only caught 30 passes in his college career.

At Kentucky, Benny Snell had a total 3873 rushing yards with 48 rushing TD's but only caught 29 passes in his college career.
    You forgot to add that Jaylen Samuels had 201 catches in college career.

Legend

User Info Menu

I would say that, coming into the NFL, both guys did an excellent job running the football, but both could use some more experience catching the ball out of the backfield before they could be considered to be an NFL caliber bellcow type of back.

Also, all rookie RB's entering the league will inevitably need to improve their pass protection skills before coaches will trust them with regard to picking up blitzes so the franchise QB does not get killed out there due to a rookie mistake.

Since I really like what I've seen from Snell so far as a runner already, but still want to see more from him as a pass catcher and a blocker before I would be comfortable with him handling a large load for us, this obviously means that I must be a big time Snell hater. I guess I'll have to accept that.

Will this post somehow be twisted into some grand proclamation that Snell will only ever be a backup RB at this level? Probably. Oh well.

Oh for crying out loud here we go again

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by The Man of Steel View Post
    You forgot to add that Jaylen Samuels had 201 catches in college career.
    Samuels had more catches (201) than carries (182) in college, and amassed more yards through the air (1851) than on the ground (1107). I was quite satisfied with what I saw from him in the passing game in his time with the Wolfpack...after all, he's N.C. State's all time receptions leader over the likes of Jerricho Cotchery (200 catches) and Torry Holt (191 catches)...but I though he could still use some additional development running the ball.

Guess than means I hate him too. Dammit.

Why must I hate every Steeler running back?

Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Samuels had more catches (201) than carries (182) in college, and amassed more yards through the air (1851) than on the ground (1107). I was quite satisfied with what I saw from him in the passing game in his time with the Wolfpack...after all, he's N.C. State's all time receptions leader over the likes of Jerricho Cotchery (200 catches) and Torry Holt (191 catches)...but I though he could still use some additional development running the ball.

Guess than means I hate him too. Dammit.

Why must I hate every Steeler running back?

I also seem to remember Dave on the Terrible Podcast saying he went though all his college games and found 1 or 2 plays where his job was pass pro.

It kind of sucks to knock him because his job was to get the ball (running or receiving), but having no track record of blocking made him a pretty big question mark to me.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I also seem to remember Dave on the Terrible Podcast saying he went though all his college games and found 1 or 2 plays where his job was pass pro.

It kind of sucks to knock him because his job was to get the ball (running or receiving), but having no track record of blocking made him a pretty big question mark to me.
    Hater.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Ah damn... here we go again.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post

It’s a legit concern and from what I saw last year he still has a long way to go as a blocker.

Conner also showed he has issues catching the ball. My biggest concern with Conner besides injury is his confidence after a mistake. He seemed to really get down on himself after a fumble or dropped pass last year.
    Last edited by Oh wow; 05-03-2019 at 02:44 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer View Post
    Oh for crying out loud here we go again
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    Ah damn... here we go again.
    Just ignore me. All the cool kids are doing it.