Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers select Benny Snell, RB, Kentucky

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Dude you are way too smart for your own good. Lol
    I'm too much of a smartass for my own good, that's for damn sure.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    Bettis was an extremely violent runner and fun to watch. Quick feet but make no mistake about it, He inflicted a lot of pain on defenders.
    I don't know that Bettis sought out contact but he certainly didn't fear it. What was so amazing about Bettis was his quick feet for a guy his size. He was outstanding for making that first guy miss .. and then Lord help the second level guys.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    I don't know that Bettis sought out contact but he certainly didn't fear it. What was so amazing about Bettis was his quick feet for a guy his size. He was outstanding for making that first guy miss .. and then Lord help the second level guys.
    I loved how he described his typical approach. Hammer guys through the first three quarters and then "get skinny" in the 4th and make guys miss.

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers Rookie RB Benny Snell Jr. Enters NFL With Strong Short-Yardage College Resume

By Dave Bryan
    Posted on May 11, 2019

Are you excited about Pittsburgh Steelers rookie running back Benny Snell Jr.? Itís really hard not to be when you closely examine his college tape and his statistics. While we donít yet know how quickly Snell will be integrated into the Steelers offense and what his role will be once he does start receiving playing time, the Kentucky product and this yearís fourth-round selection might be perfect for short-yardage situations to start with.

Snell enters the NFL as possibly one of the top and most reliable short-yardage running backs to be drafted this year. In fact, and as you can see in the table of stats below, of the running backs drafted this year, Snell had the most third down short-yardage carries (1-3 yards needed) in college with 78. Of those 78 third and short carries, in which 3 or less yards were needed, Snell converted 56 (71.8%) of them with 5 of those successful runs being touchdowns.

Obviously, there are a few other running backs who were drafted this year with better college career 3rd and short yardage conversion rates than Shell registered, but the fact that the Kentucky product had many more opportunities than all of the players listed ahead of him in the table below makes his percentage stick out. Additionally, itís important to keep in mind that Snell registered a good portion of those stats in games against SEC teams.

Once again, the data below is only for 3rd and short carries in which 3 or less yards were needed. However, if we were able to compile other downs in which 3 or less yards were needed, Itís probably safe to assume that Snell converted a large portion of those carries successfully as well.

In case youíre curious, the Steelers running backs registered a combine success rate of 70.6% last season on 3rd and short carries in which 1-3 yards were needed. The one carry that Stevan Ridley registered in that situation last season came in the Steelers loss to the New Orleans Saints and not only did he lose yardage on that fourth quarter play, he also fumbled away the football.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/05/st...ollege-resume/

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Most RB’s don’t look for contact, I think the violent ones are the RB’s who break tackles while inflicting pain.

I remember an overtime game vs the Cardinals in Arizona where Bettis took a screen pass in for the game winner. DB’s were bouncing off him like cartoon characters.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    I remember an overtime game vs the Cardinals in Arizona where Bettis took a screen pass in for the game winner. DB’s were bouncing off him like cartoon characters.
    Or like trying to tackle Bo Jackson in Tecmo Bowl.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Benny Snell: Goal-Line Running About ĎHaving The Hard-Nosed Mentalityí

By Matthew Marczi
    Posted on May 12, 2019

Truth be told, the Pittsburgh Steelers are not necessarily in the market for a goal-line running back. That is a role that third-year running back James Conner ably filled last season in his first full year as a starter, scoring 13 touchdowns, 10 of which were rushes that came from within five yards of the goal line. The vast majority were within two yards. So he probably knows a little something about finishing plays in tight spaces. He had a high success ratio on short-yardage runs throughout the year.

So, too, did new Steelers running back Benny Snell during his college career as a member of the Kentucky Wildcats. While he tries to embrace every aspect of the game and is willing to tackle any assignment that will be asked of him, he knows that there is a certain mentalityóand a certain joyóto playing at the goal line.

ďItís about having the hard-nosed mentalityĒ, he told reporters about running with the end zone almost in reach. ďWhether itís one, two, three people in your way, you have to have that extra push. That extra drive to get through it no matter what. Then itís about making smart decisions. Sometimes it might not be pretty at first. The hole might not be there. Itís about having vision, being a smart runner. Hitting this crease, making that read. Reading blocks. I feel like itís all togetherĒ.

This is not the first time since being drafted that Snell has talked about wanting to run smart, rather than simply running with a physical style. Thatís a wise decision on his part as he transition to the college level, where it might be easier to simply get by on your size without wearing down, to the pros, where most players heís going up against are going to be his equal from a physical standpoint.

As Dave Bryan already highlighted yesterday, Snell was a very good runner in short-yardage situations entering the NFL, and itís never a bad thing to come into the league with a resume that includes success in situational football.

But with the Steelers, itís going to have to be a process to determine what kind of role he is going to have. Conner on the top of the food chain is going to be a significant obstacle in his way toward playing time, depending on the philosophy Mike Tomlin embraces, which historically has been to rely on one workhorse runner.

Aside from Conner himself, there is second-year Jaylen Samuels, who had success during his rookie season and likely could be targeted as something of a third-down back because of his pass-catching skills that separate him from the rest of the group.

But the Steelers wouldnít have bothered to draft Snell in the fourth round if they didnít think there was a role for him somewhere, at some point. And whenever it comes, you know he is going to bring the enthusiasm.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/05/be...sed-mentality/

Legend

User Info Menu

Benny Snell plays “Benny Snell football”
    By Mike Florio | May 12, 2019, 9:58 PM EDT

Steelers rookie running back Benny Snell plays a unique brand of football. He calls it, appropriately enough, “Benny Snell football.”

Via Chris Adamski of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, the former Kentucky tailback used that term on multiple occasions during his rookie minicamp to explain his unique style.

“That’s just Benny Snell football,” Snell said at one point regarding a clock-killing, bowl-game effort that included eight straight carries as the Wildcats held a 27-24 lead against Penn State. “Downhill, running the ball, running the clock out. My team depended on me in that time of need, and I am gonna make it happen. In situations like that, they trusted me. All through the season [and] all three years, that’s what I was known for.”

Apparently, it’s a broad term.

“Benny Snell football is that it could be second-and-3 or like third-and-3. It could be fourth-and-2. It could be third-and-goal, fourth-and-goal,” Snell said. “Or it could be four-minute offense, and you just have to run the clock out just to win the game.”

Snell then went all in with the use of the third person.

“It’s just feeding him, just feeding him, feeding him, let him run it up,” Benny Snell said regarding Benny Snell. “He’s gonna get up. He’s having fun. He might dance a little bit, but he’s gonna run back and he’s gonna do it again, and everybody in the stadium, both teams know what’s happening.”

With James Conner and Jaylen Samuels already on the roster, it’s tempting to believe that the Steelers intend to use multiple tailbacks. After the draft, G.M. Kevin Colbert didn’t rule out one of the three emerging as the guy, based on his performances.

And if, ultimately, the performance the Steelers need is Benny Snell football, they’ve got just the man to do it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Benny Snell: Goal-Line Running About ‘Having The Hard-Nosed Mentality’

By Matthew Marczi
    Posted on May 12, 2019

Truth be told, the Pittsburgh Steelers are not necessarily in the market for a goal-line running back. That is a role that third-year running back James Conner ably filled last season in his first full year as a starter, scoring 13 touchdowns, 10 of which were rushes that came from within five yards of the goal line. The vast majority were within two yards. So he probably knows a little something about finishing plays in tight spaces. He had a high success ratio on short-yardage runs throughout the year.

So, too, did new Steelers running back Benny Snell during his college career as a member of the Kentucky Wildcats. While he tries to embrace every aspect of the game and is willing to tackle any assignment that will be asked of him, he knows that there is a certain mentality—and a certain joy—to playing at the goal line.

“It’s about having the hard-nosed mentality”, he told reporters about running with the end zone almost in reach. “Whether it’s one, two, three people in your way, you have to have that extra push. That extra drive to get through it no matter what. Then it’s about making smart decisions. Sometimes it might not be pretty at first. The hole might not be there. It’s about having vision, being a smart runner. Hitting this crease, making that read. Reading blocks. I feel like it’s all together”.

This is not the first time since being drafted that Snell has talked about wanting to run smart, rather than simply running with a physical style. That’s a wise decision on his part as he transition to the college level, where it might be easier to simply get by on your size without wearing down, to the pros, where most players he’s going up against are going to be his equal from a physical standpoint.

As Dave Bryan already highlighted yesterday, Snell was a very good runner in short-yardage situations entering the NFL, and it’s never a bad thing to come into the league with a resume that includes success in situational football.

But with the Steelers, it’s going to have to be a process to determine what kind of role he is going to have. Conner on the top of the food chain is going to be a significant obstacle in his way toward playing time, depending on the philosophy Mike Tomlin embraces, which historically has been to rely on one workhorse runner.

Aside from Conner himself, there is second-year Jaylen Samuels, who had success during his rookie season and likely could be targeted as something of a third-down back because of his pass-catching skills that separate him from the rest of the group.

But the Steelers wouldn’t have bothered to draft Snell in the fourth round if they didn’t think there was a role for him somewhere, at some point. And whenever it comes, you know he is going to bring the enthusiasm.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/05/be...sed-mentality/
    Taking Tomlin’s history into account , there is a strong possibility that Snell only gets run if Conner gets hurt. I hope that isn’t the case but we’ll see. One of the many mysteries of the up coming season.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Taking Tomlin’s history into account , there is a strong possibility that Snell only gets run if Conner gets hurt. I hope that isn’t the case but we’ll see. One of the many mysteries of the up coming season.
    Yep. We tend to run our #1 RBs a lot even when we have other options.

I think how we handled Blount was Tomlin's biggest mistake as a coach.

This year is different, but mostly because we don't have anyone with a super strong track record.

Conner was better than I expected last year and deserves the 1RB role. But Peyton Hillis was on the cover of madden once too. I don't expect that to happen to Con er, but you never know in the NFL.

I how we get all three guys involved to some extent. It will reduce Conners chances of getting hurt again and hopefully help develop. The other guys.