Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers select Benny Snell, RB, Kentucky

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    This seems to be a common sentiment among Steeler fans.

We did invest highly in our OL a few years ago, getting Maurkice Pouncey and David DeCastro with first round picks.

But does anyone realize that the other 60% of our starting OL is made up entirely of undrafted players, including both tackles?

Yup, Alejandro Villenueva, Ramon Foster, and Matt Feiler all entered the league as UDFA's. Plus, our top gameday backup for all 3 of the interior OL spots, B.J. Finney, was also a UDFA.
    The Munchak effect. Boy I really hope that stellar coaching didn't disappear out the door when he left.
    Hopefully whatshisname learned something during the 5 yrs working with the master.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    The Munchak effect. Boy I really hope that stellar coaching didn't disappear out the door when he left.
    Hopefully whatshisname learned something during the 5 yrs working with the master.
    Seeing what the our starting O-line can do is our first priority.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

After Bush, I think Snell is the rookie who will have the most impact this season. I guess that may not happen if Tomlin reverts to his pattern of giving almost all the carries to his lead back, but I'm hoping there will be a little bit more of a RB by committee approach.

Legend

User Info Menu

This seems to be a common sentiment among Steeler fans.

We did invest highly in our OL a few years ago, getting Maurkice Pouncey and David DeCastro with first round picks.

But does anyone realize that the other 60% of our starting OL is made up entirely of undrafted players, including both tackles?

Yup, Alejandro Villenueva, Ramon Foster, and Matt Feiler all entered the league as UDFA's. Plus, our top gameday backup for all 3 of the interior OL spots, B.J. Finney, was also a UDFA.
    . Which is a testiment to Munchak and this FO

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    After Bush, I think Snell is the rookie who will have the most impact this season. I guess that may not happen if Tomlin reverts to his pattern of giving almost all the carries to his lead back, but I'm hoping there will be a little bit more of a RB by committee approach.
    I don't think it's a matter of reverting to that approach as opposed to continuing it. He's never left that methodology.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    I don't think it's a matter of reverting to that approach as opposed to continuing it. He's never left that methodology.
    I'm afraid your right. Tomlin doesn't like to change; they had to force someone on him to help him with clock management and instant replay. 12 years in, he's not changing that aspect of himself. I don't see Tomlin doing anything different on offense. He may do somethings different on defense thou.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Seeing what the our starting O-line can do is our first priority.
    We know what our starting OL can do already. There are certainly much bigger priorities on this team than that.

Marcus Gilbert was limited to only 5 games last season due to injury, so Matt Feiler was our starting RT for over double the amount of time that Gilbert was.

And the rest of the starting five...AV, RF, MP, and DD...are all long-time experienced starters in the league at this point.

We know very well how these guys mesh together already (and we also know that Finney and Chuks are both quite competent fill-in options if needed as well).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Starter

User Info Menu

We know what our starting OL can do already. There are certainly much bigger priorities on this team than that.

Marcus Gilbert was limited to only 5 games last season due to injury, so Matt Feiler was our starting RT for over double the amount of time that Gilbert was.

And the rest of the starting five...AV, RF, MP, and DD...are all long-time experienced starters in the league at this point.

We know very well how these guys mesh together already (and we also know that Finney and Chuks are both quite competent fill-in options if needed as well).
    Hmm... when was Gilbert hurt?

Just wondering if our production slipped on the ground without him.

While I wasnt the biggest Gilbert fan due to his durability I think run blocking was his strength.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    Hmm... when was Gilbert hurt?

Just wondering if our production slipped on the ground without him.

While I wasnt the biggest Gilbert fan due to his durability I think run blocking was his strength.
    Gilbert played the first two games, sat out week 3, then came back to play in the next three games, but that was it for him in black and gold.

Feiler started every game for us after our week 7 bye, with the exception of week 12 (Chuks started for an injured Feiler in Denver).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Backup

User Info Menu

O Line is good no doubt but it's helped by the threat of a great passing game.