Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers select Benny Snell, RB, Kentucky

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    Yep. We tend to run our #1 RBs a lot even when we have other options.

I think how we handled Blount was Tomlin's biggest mistake as a coach.

This year is different, but mostly because we don't have anyone with a super strong track record.

Conner was better than I expected last year and deserves the 1RB role. But Peyton Hillis was on the cover of madden once too. I don't expect that to happen to Con er, but you never know in the NFL.

I how we get all three guys involved to some extent. It will reduce Conners chances of getting hurt again and hopefully help develop. The other guys.
    In the past, our bellcow RB seemed to be on the field for nearly 90% of the offensive snaps (I have no idea what this actual number is; that's just what it seemed like to me).

Hopefully, this year, we could decrease that to maybe just 60% or so of the offensive snaps for Conner. He has shown that he is able to handle all aspects of the job on both rushing downs and passing downs. But it's smart to give him a breather to keep him fresh and healthy as long as we have other options available to perform with little to no drop off in ability.

If we want to give Conner every third series or so off (or just occasional plays here and there), we could use Snell on early running downs and short yardage situations to take advantage of his strengths and then Samuels on passing downs to take advantage of his strengths.

I'd also consider using Samuels on the field at the same time as Conner in more of an h-back, quasi-TE role (somewhat of a pass-catching FB role like we had with John L. Williams once upon a time), and then also using Nix as our run-blocking FB in combination with Conner or Snell in short-yardage or goal-line situations.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Benny Snell Jr. and Diontae Johnson are ready for ‘Part II’ with the Pittsburgh Steelers

The NFL can work in weird ways, and these two Scouting Combine roommates are ready to make their mark with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

By Jeff Hartman
    May 14, 2019, 7:52am EDT

The NFL can work in mysterious ways sometimes. Maybe it is bringing two college teammates together again at the professional level, or maybe two rivals who become tight as members of their newest team.

For two of the Pittsburgh Steelers 2019 NFL Draft class, they will get a chance to spend some more time together after rooming together at the 2019 NFL Scouting Combine.

Diontae Johnson and Benny Snell Jr. both have the same agent, and were roommates both before and during the combine. When you think of the number of players attending the combine, and two who were selected by the Steelers stayed together during the event, it truly is remarkable.

Either way, the two offensive players got to spend some time together, and Johnson made a mark on Snell.

“Diontae is amazing, he’s a cool guy, cool dude, got some hands, and I’m excited that we get Part II,” Snell told Teresa Varley of Steelers.com. “When he got drafted and I got drafted, I am like, ‘Part II, better get ready.’”

With the Steelers rookies just wrapping up their Rookie Minicamp, all everyone wants to talk about is which, if any, of the 2019 draft class will be able to have an impact on the 2019 team? This pair of roommates very well could have an impact in a big way, Snell at running back and Johnson at receiver.

For Snell, the running back depth chart looks as if he could see his share of action behind James Conner and Jaylen Samuels, and Johnson’s versatility could see him not just as a return man, but also depth both in the slot and out wide in the Steelers’ offense.

But when you wonder what Snell’s ‘Part II’ might be, it is likely a continuation of the friendship which started in Indianapolis, and putting their names on the long list of offensive playmakers who have worn the black-and-gold.

Will this sequel be a hit, or a bust? Are Snell and Johnson the next round of quality draft picks/players to be selected in the Mike Tomlin/Kevin Colbert era? Or are we being too quick to jump on the bandwagon?

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2019/5/14/18618068/benny-snell-jr-and-diontae-johnson-are-ready-for-part-ii-with-the-pittsburgh-steelers-2019-nfl-draft
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Is James Conner on the Average Joe's Gym team or the Globo Gym Purple Cobras?

Legend

User Info Menu

Benny Snell Jr. could have an impact year for the Steelers, but he probably won’t

It might appear rookie running back Benny Snell Jr. would have a great chance to make an impact in his rookie season. But the Steelers have a clear number one running back in James Conner. They also appear to have an established backup in second-year man Jaylen Samuels.

By Anthony Defeo
    May 16, 2019, 10:20am EDT

When you examine the Steelers rookies who likely could come in and make an immediate impact, running back Benny Snell Jr. is at the top of the list, behind only Devin Bush, of course.

Think about it. Which position lends itself to first-year success better than running back? Just give the kid the football and tell him to look for the first hole he sees and burst through that sucker. And if there is no hole, just tell him to use his instincts and ad lib, improvise or simply punish someone. Sure, a rookie running back must be on the details with regards to picking up the blitz (something he may never have had to do in college) or catching the football out of the backfield (see picking up the blitz), but when it comes to the main part of his job, a first-year running back typically doesn’t have to step too far out of his comfort zone.

When that rookie running back steps into a situation such as Snell’s, complete with an offensive line that’s highly-decorated and highly-regarded around the National Football League, it just feels like an exciting way to kick off your professional football career. For a back like Snell, who had 3,873 rushing yards and 48 touchdowns in three seasons at Kentucky, it seems like the perfect situation, a situation that could lead to an Offensive Rookie of the Year-type season.

Unfortunately, it’s really hard to envision Snell getting much of a chance to show off his talents in 2019.

I realize Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert has recently made statements to ProFootballTalk’s Mike Florio implying the team might change its “Run him until the wheels fall off” philosophy:

“I really think that depends on who that player is. When we drafted Le’Veon, we certainly didn’t have that idea that he would be the featured guy. He forced that with his great play and he was that good, he was durable and he wanted to be on the field. James does too, but you also have to understand if you have two or three guys that can maybe get the same production then let’s make sure we’re covered and have the proper depth.”

I don’t want to call Kevin a liar, but maybe his memory is a bit fuzzy. If you recall how the team handled Le’Veon Bell the moment he was drafted in the second round out of Michigan State in 2013, it was clear he was going to be the guy. Bell came into a situation where there wasn’t another running back on the roster who even approached his abilities.

It’s different in 2019.

Snell is coming into a situation where there is not only a clear-cut number one running back, that clear-cut number one running back may also have an established backup.

The number one running back is obviously third-year man James Conner, who had a breakout year in 2018 to the tune of 1,470 yards from scrimmage—including 973 on the ground and 497 through the air. Conner touched the football a total of 270 times in his sophomore season—215 carries and 55 receptions.

Conner not only had a Pro Bowl year in 2018, he was well-on his way to approaching 2,000 yards from scrimmage before late-season injuries limited his effectiveness, as well as his playing time, as he missed a total of three games down the stretch.

In Conner’s place was Jaylen Samuels, a rookie running back who started three games in December. Samuels wasn’t necessarily a workhorse as a starter—he had a total of 41 carries in those three games—but he did post a whopping 142 rushing yards on 19 carries in a 17-10 victory over the Patriots on December 16.

Samuels also showed himself to be quite adept at catching the football out of the backfield—a skill-set that he was known for coming out of college—as he tallied 26 receptions for 199 yards.

Back to Conner.

Did his play in 2018 prove that he deserves to be the number one running back? Absolutely. Yes, he suffered some injuries, but most running backs do. The question is, if Conner is indeed the team’s number one back, but the powers that be may have had a change of heart regarding running back usage, how much are they willing to reduce Conner’s work-load in 2019? Thirty percent? Much more than that, now you’re dealing with a running back by committee approach, something the Steelers have always seemed allergic to. If Conner’s work-load is reduced by 30 percent, which backup gets the bulk of that 30 percent? Based on last season, it would seem Samuels would get it, especially when you consider his aforementioned aptitude for being a receiving threat.

This isn’t to say Snell couldn’t beat out Samuels for the backup role. But you have to remember Samuels will also be benefiting from the same highly-regarded offensive line as his rookie colleague.

Maybe Snell, with his downhill style, can be the short-yardage and goal line back. Yes, but what do you tell Conner, especially when the offense is nearing the goal line? After all, Conner had 12 rushing touchdowns last year, and a great deal of them were of the goal line variety.

Obviously, injuries may play a factor in how Snell is used during his rookie season, but that would be rather unfortunate for Conner and/or Samuels. If that were to happen, I think Snell will do a fine job as a fill-in. Heck, he might even create a running back controversy.

But, beyond that scenario (a scenario that, as I alluded to, wouldn’t be ideal), it’s hard to envision Benny Snell Jr. making a huge impact in his rookie season.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2019/5/16/18624523/benny-snell-jr-could-have-an-impact-year-for-the-steelers-but-he-probably-wont-james-conner-nfl

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think Snell is insurance this year. Unless he shows us something special I don’t see him getting more than a series or 2 unless Conner gets hurt which is likely given his style.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    I think Snell is insurance this year. Unless he shows us something special I don’t see him getting more than a series or 2 unless Conner gets hurt which is likely given his style.
    Conner will get injured at some point, and Snell will get his shot. That's when it will get very interesting.

Banned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Conner will get injured at some point, and Snell will get his shot. That's when it will get very interesting.
    I don't know Shawn; Conner will be a wiser runner this year and along with the offense tailoring things to his strengths oppose to Bell's strengths now that Bell is really out the picture. Plus another year he's going to get stronger too from the Cancer issue.
    Last edited by Steel Maniac; 05-21-2019 at 12:34 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Cancer and Bell have nothing to do with Conner’s injuries.

He is a physical runner.

Legend

User Info Menu

Attempting to predict whether or not someone might have an injury in the future is a pointless exercise.

But it appears that the team has prepared itself with talented, young depth as insurance at the RB position if it does happen.