Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers select Benny Snell, RB, Kentucky

Legend

User Info Menu

Doesn't "Mach Snell" mean something like "Speed Up" in German? (I recall German officers yelling that to the soldiers in old movies when they wanted them to work more quickly).

If he is able to "Mach Snell"...hopefully he finds his afterburners so we'd have "Benny and the Jets" rather than "Benny Snail"
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Just look at 2 short highlight reels of each in college and it's clear as day. You would expect to see a "violent man beast" initiating contact and running people over. In Snell's reel, I think he makes contact about 2 times throughout his reel and I don't see either time as intentional, he just happens to run into a guy.

Conner's reel, I stopped counting the number of times he lowers his head and initiates contact on his runs. There's probably 20 examples of him lowering his head and seeking to initiate contact on his runs. That's the way he continues to play now.

I think there's a misnomer a lot of times that a big guy that's hard to tackle is a violent runner. A lot of these guys like Snell, Bell, and even Bettis consistently try to find a way to run around you and dance through a hole. Conner has a different MO and he consistently lowers his head and initiates contact and I think he truly wants to run through guys instead of around them like most sane backs.

This isn't a knock on Snell. He's just a different style of runner than Conner which is fine. They measure close to the same, but when I watch them play, Snell looks faster than Conner to me. And maybe it's out of necessity that Conner isn't a premiere athlete so he has to take a different approach. And while he's fun to watch, it's not a good thing for his longevity, health, or career. But then again, maybe if he's initiating contact, it's better to be the hitter than the hittee. But I don't think so. I think the hits Conner initiates is going to shorten his career and necessitate needing someone to share the load.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv81fpc7KLw
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smvhNAvr4ME

If you have better examples of Snell running people over and initiating contact, I'd be happy to look at them. But I think this is a pretty fair/short representation of their styles.
    Yeah. Earlier I said the Kentucky OL was a monster because they opened some serious holes for Snell.

I didn’t see Snell violently run over anyone in the clips I watched. 95% of the runs I watched he wasn’t even touched for the first 10 yards.

Legend

User Info Menu

Just look at 2 short highlight reels of each in college and it's clear as day. You would expect to see a "violent man beast" initiating contact and running people over. In Snell's reel, I think he makes contact about 2 times throughout his reel and I don't see either time as intentional, he just happens to run into a guy.

Conner's reel, I stopped counting the number of times he lowers his head and initiates contact on his runs. There's probably 20 examples of him lowering his head and seeking to initiate contact on his runs. That's the way he continues to play now.

I think there's a misnomer a lot of times that a big guy that's hard to tackle is a violent runner. A lot of these guys like Snell, Bell, and even Bettis consistently try to find a way to run around you and dance through a hole. Conner has a different MO and he consistently lowers his head and initiates contact and I think he truly wants to run through guys instead of around them like most sane backs.

This isn't a knock on Snell. He's just a different style of runner than Conner which is fine. They measure close to the same, but when I watch them play, Snell looks faster than Conner to me. And maybe it's out of necessity that Conner isn't a premiere athlete so he has to take a different approach. And while he's fun to watch, it's not a good thing for his longevity, health, or career. But then again, maybe if he's initiating contact, it's better to be the hitter than the hittee. But I don't think so. I think the hits Conner initiates is going to shorten his career and necessitate needing someone to share the load.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv81fpc7KLw
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smvhNAvr4ME

If you have better examples of Snell running people over and initiating contact, I'd be happy to look at them. But I think this is a pretty fair/short representation of their styles.
    The gold standard in trucking guys? Earl Freakin Campell.... sadly, he paid for it in retirement.

Banned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    The gold standard in trucking guys? Earl Freakin Campell.... sadly, he paid for it in retirement.
    You are correct sir; Earl Campbell trucked many a fool. I can never forget that Rams game where he trucked Isiah Robertson.
    Last edited by Steel Maniac; 05-10-2019 at 12:55 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Bettis was an extremely violent runner and fun to watch. Quick feet but make no mistake about it, He inflicted a lot of pain on defenders.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    He's probably the closest comparison to Conner's running style. Both are quick to lower their head/shoulder and initiate contact.

Most of the other bigger backs run into guys on accident and generally try to avoid contact.

It's also why Conner gets so many yards after contact. He's not getting hit. He's doing the hitting most of the time. So he's naturally going to stay up a little longer than a guy that gets hit and tries to keep going.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    . That’s the difference between me and you. I don’t look at highlight reels and make statements.
    So show us plays where Snell initiates contact. I really didn't find any?

Seriously though, football celebrates violence. You should see lots of contact in highlights of a "violent man beast". But I haven't seen it.

I'm just commenting on what I've seen. I would really expect in a highlight reel a RB would lower his head or shoulder at some point and initiate contact.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Doesn't "Mach Snell" mean something like "Speed Up" in German? (I recall German officers yelling that to the soldiers in old movies when they wanted them to work more quickly).

If he is able to "Mach Snell"...hopefully he finds his afterburners so we'd have "Benny and the Jets" rather than "Benny Snail"
    Dude you are way too smart for your own good. Lol

Legend

User Info Menu

So show us plays where Snell initiates contact. I really didn't find any?

Seriously though, football celebrates violence. You should see lots of contact in highlights of a "violent man beast". But I haven't seen it.

I'm just commenting on what I've seen. I would really expect in a highlight reel a RB would lower his head or shoulder at some point and initiate contact.
    first don’t look on YouTube. There are sites where you can get condensed games and I’ve given links to these sites in the past. Feel free to do a search. Gave it last year about this time. Not trying to be a jerk. Just not home and don’t remember the name of the main site I use.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    Bettis was an extremely violent runner and fun to watch. Quick feet but make no mistake about it, He inflicted a lot of pain on defenders.
    . Indeed, and I’m fairly sure towards the end of his career he was at a 5.0 flat in the 40.