Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers take CB Justin Lane in the 3rd

Legend

User Info Menu

Shades of Jalen Ramsey?!?!:

#6 Justin Layne (CB – Michigan State)
    Most industry draft analysts have the top three cornerbacks as Greedy Williams, Byron Murphy and DeAndre Baker. They are all in different spots on every list but almost always represent the top tier. In my opinion, Layne belongs in that group. I’ve still got Murphy and Williams ahead of them, but not by a full round. Layne is a former wide receiver who is still learning the position but was extraordinary for the Spartans thanks to a rare combination of elite length and speed. In fact, the only corners to match that combo are all Pro Bowlers: Jalen Ramsey, Xavier Rhodes and Antonio Cromartie. I don’t need to tell you that he is in tremendous company. Don’t expect him to hit the ground running in the NFL so a corner-hungry team in contention like the Chiefs or Colts doesn’t make a ton of sense but he could sneak into the early second to a team like the Giants or Redskins. I’ve got him landing with Minnesota at pick #50, however, who won’t need him to start right away but have few holes to fill and can afford to let him grow before stepping in for Trae Waynes when he probably leaves in free agency next winter.

<span style="color:#ff8c00;"><em>https://www.fantasypros.com/2019/04/...raft-sleepers/

Legend

User Info Menu

Michigan State cornerback Justin Layne is primed to be a top-50 selection in next month's NFL draft, but he's still not getting enough love nationally. We gotta change that.
    Layne, at 6'2" and 192 pounds, has a ridiculous
    80⅛" wingspan (https://247sports.com/college/michigan-state/Article/NFL-Draft-Michigan-State-players-weigh-in-at-NFL-Combine-129651117/). As scouts like to say, he can tie his shoe without bending over. Layne uses that length well, but he's also explosive and fastójust check his 4.5-second 40 time at that size and 134-inch broad jump for proof.

Legend

User Info Menu

Comparing him to Ramsey?? Let’s not get ahead of ourselves.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

LOL. Dri Archer couldnít run routes. LOL. He was a gadget player drafted for return abilities. Donít be silly.

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

Not a believer in this pick. Trying to be. I know he has upside. I don’t know. I’m not convinced. I know he is “value” but I don’t care about that stuff. I’m being biased I guess because I liked a Safety or two that were and are still available. But...looking forward to seeing what he can do. I’ll view this as an endorsement of the Steelers faith in Davis. Although I know I’m just lying to myself. As they have more depth at Corner than Safety. They must like him. Looking forward to what he can bring. But I still look forward to seeing Burns play in various packages and doing well. Ha. It’s odd how Lane can be lauded for 15 pass knock downs but Burns does the same as a pro and can’t catch a break from anyone. Here’s to hoping. And yes, I can be a believer fast. Cuz I was not that impressed with the more higher rated corner class this year at all. Anyone not them makes me happy.
    Last edited by dreegking; 04-27-2019 at 04:40 AM.

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

Pretty lukewarm for this pick but, I will say it's good value and has an upside- but when? However, all the homers or Colbert's relatives who lap up the FO line every chance....how do rectify this is 3rd rd 2.0 this year but in the CB position instead of QB.

On one hand, KC as the ultimate decision maker gives these rare media Q&A sessions where the one theme is we are fortunate to have a franchise QB. We don't sell off, auction off, etc - WE RELOAD. We are one of only a handful of teams w/ HOF QB play. That is the narrative KC sells the fans. I don't disagree. We are in a unique position. I accept it as most of us should. However, last year when we need D and LB's - he takes a "1st rd" graded QB? That 3rd rd pick could of been LB's Avery or Warner....there were LB's who would of helped or filled Shaziers spot. This year, with ALL media and steelers staff this (CB - Layne) is not a NFL starter now or soon. HE "oozes" potential something I heard DB coach Austin say.

But back to Colbert's narrative- there is a disconnect. And no one should just blindly accept this huge discrepancy. Wish some beat writers would kinda broach this BS we are being fed. In my opinion, the "potential" picks should be the later rounds 5,6,and 7. Because of our "unique" position KC reminds us of, I would really like the 1st 4 or 5 picks as players who could more than likely contribute in a big way. Just screaming for some consistency and common sense here

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lord_of_six_rings View Post
    Pretty lukewarm for this pick but, I will say it's good value and has an upside- but when? However, all the homers or Colbert's relatives who lap up the FO line every chance....how do rectify this is 3rd rd 2.0 this year but in the CB position instead of QB.

On one hand, KC as the ultimate decision maker gives these rare media Q&A sessions where the one theme is we are fortunate to have a franchise QB. We don't sell off, auction off, etc - WE RELOAD. We are one of only a handful of teams w/ HOF QB play. That is the narrative KC sells the fans. I don't disagree. We are in a unique position. I accept it as most of us should. However, last year when we need D and LB's - he takes a "1st rd" graded QB? That 3rd rd pick could of been LB's Avery or Warner....there were LB's who would of helped or filled Shaziers spot. This year, with ALL media and steelers staff this (CB - Layne) is not a NFL starter now or soon. HE "oozes" potential something I heard DB coach Austin say.

But back to Colbert's narrative- there is a disconnect. And no one should just blindly accept this huge discrepancy. Wish some beat writers would kinda broach this BS we are being fed. In my opinion, the "potential" picks should be the later rounds 5,6,and 7. Because of our "unique" position KC reminds us of, I would really like the 1st 4 or 5 picks as players who could more than likely contribute in a big way. Just screaming for some consistency and common sense here
    Every team's draft AV through the 2012- 2016 drafts. Steelers have a net positive, not so easy given where they end up drafting every year.

Legend

User Info Menu

Im watching interview and Layne grew up a Browns fan. Ewwwwwww.....

Legend

User Info Menu

Pittsburgh Steelers: Justin Layne, CB, Michigan State A+ Grade

Wow, I forgot Justin Layne was still available. Layne got some late first-round buzz at some point, but was expected to be chosen in the second frame. Layne is an excellent cornerback with terrific ball skills. He's an absolute steal for the Steelers, who needed someone like Layne to upgrade their poor secondary.

http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftgrades3.php

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Im watching interview and Layne grew up a Browns fan. Ewwwwwww.....
    Double agent? Not a good feeling huh?
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.