Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 250

Thread: Steelers Take WR Diontae Johnson

  1. #191
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    I must admit that when this draft pick happened, I wasn't initially very happy with it at all. I wasn't necessarily shocked that we added this particular player, because he was one of our 30 pre-draft visits, so we were obviously interested in him. What surprised me was when we took him. I figured that we could take a bigger name guy here...a rare athlete with more size and speed in the early portion of round 3, and then maybe come back later in the draft and possibly double dip with this smallish, quicker-than-fast WR from the MAC conference with punt & kick return skills (sound familiar?).

    When Santonio was reading the name, he said, "With the 66th pick in the 2019 NFL Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers select D..." and my mind immediate went to D'Andre Walker, the edge rushing OLB from Georgia to be our latter day Timmons-Woodley dual LB picks with our first two selections. But he didn't say "D'Andre"...he said "Diontae" and my mind immediately did a 180 and I thought "Deionte Thompson," the safety from Alabama, but that didn't happen either. When I finally saw that he finished with "Johnson, wide receiver from Toledo" my heart sunk, because I thought if we were going to go WR here, it would surely be a different style of wideout than we had with AB...we'd add a big dude with serious speed to stetch the field like Hakeem Butler or Miles Boykin. Many of our mocks were focused on guys like this, and both were still available at pick #66 here.

    But now, as I hear and read more from average schmoe Steeler fans like me lamenting the fact that we did not get a potentially special athletic specimen such as Butler or Boykin here, I remember many of us same average schmoe Steeler fans like me getting excited about obtaining potentially special athletic specimen such as Limas Sweed and Sammie Coates once upon a time.

    And I also remember the lukewarm reception that guys like AB and Juju got among fans at that time. Why did we waste a 6th round pick on a punt returner from the MAC when we already were full of young WR's after drafting a Manny Sanders in the 3rd round one day earlier and Mike Wallace in the 2nd round one year earlier? Why did we waste a 2nd round pick on wideout named Juju when we already had Brown and Bryant and our biggest need at the time was obvious at corner, not wideout?

    With regard to wideouts especially, Colbert knows what the hell he's doing, for sure. He seems to have figured out that formula as best as one could possibly expect for this crapshoot we call the draft. His informed decisionmaking with regard to what he likes to look for in a WR seems to work well for him, so I'll trust it.

    And although some pre-draft projections touted Johnson as a late round prospect well behind the likes of Butler, Boykin, and others, it is certainly promising to see some analytics sites talking about his route running prowess and ability to get open and make plays in the open field...there is certainly much more to being an effective WR on the pro level than being a tall dude who can run fast in a straight line.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

    Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

    We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

    We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

  2. #192
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    I must admit that when this draft pick happened, I wasn't initially very happy with it at all. I wasn't necessarily shocked that we added this particular player, because he was one of our 30 pre-draft visits, so we were obviously interested in him. What surprised me was when we took him. I figured that we could take a bigger name guy here...a rare athlete with more size and speed in the early portion of round 3, and then maybe come back later in the draft and possibly double dip with this smallish, quicker-than-fast WR from the MAC conference with punt & kick return skills (sound familiar?).

    When Santonio was reading the name, he said, "With the 66th pick in the 2019 NFL Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers select D..." and my mind immediate went to D'Andre Walker, the edge rushing OLB from Georgia to be our latter day Timmons-Woodley dual LB picks with our first two selections. But he didn't say "D'Andre"...he said "Diontae" and my mind immediately did a 180 and I thought "Deionte Thompson," the safety from Alabama, but that didn't happen either. When I finally saw that he finished with "Johnson, wide receiver from Toledo" my heart sunk, because I thought if we were going to go WR here, it would surely be a different style of wideout than we had with AB...we'd add a big dude with serious speed to stetch the field like Hakeem Butler or Miles Boykin. Many of our mocks were focused on guys like this, and both were still available at pick #66 here.

    But now, as I hear and read more from average schmoe Steeler fans like me lamenting the fact that we did not get a potentially special athletic specimen such as Butler or Boykin here, I remember many of us same average schmoe Steeler fans like me getting excited about obtaining potentially special athletic specimen such as Limas Sweed and Sammie Coates once upon a time.

    And I also remember the lukewarm reception that guys like AB and Juju got among fans at that time. Why did we waste a 6th round pick on a punt returner from the MAC when we already were full of young WR's after drafting a Manny Sanders in the 3rd round one day earlier and Mike Wallace in the 2nd round one year earlier? Why did we waste a 2nd round pick on wideout named Juju when we already had Brown and Bryant and our biggest need at the time was obvious at corner, not wideout?

    With regard to wideouts especially, Colbert knows what the hell he's doing, for sure. He seems to have figured out that formula as best as one could possibly expect for this crapshoot we call the draft. His informed decisionmaking with regard to what he likes to look for in a WR seems to work well for him, so I'll trust it.

    And although some pre-draft projections touted Johnson as a late round prospect well behind the likes of Butler, Boykin, and others, it is certainly promising to see some analytics sites talking about his route running prowess and ability to get open and make plays in the open field...there is certainly much more to being an effective WR on the pro level than being a tall dude who can run fast in a straight line.
    very well said... i swear, i've seen more than one analyst basically say, "i had him lower, but, the steelers seem to know what they're doing at WR... so, I'll reserve judgment on this one so i don't look like a fool"
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

  3. #193
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    very well said... i swear, i've seen more than one analyst basically say, "i had him lower, but, the steelers seem to know what they're doing at WR... so, I'll reserve judgment on this one so i don't look like a fool"
    As a Juju pick hater.......I count myself among said "fools".
    It is the one argument I lost with Dizz.

    Doubt Colbert's receiver pick here?

    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 04-30-2019 at 11:30 AM.

  4. #194
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Go watch the Miami game.

  5. #195
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    Go watch the Miami game.
    you mean the game he scored 2 TDs?

    WR Diontae Johnson — The Steelers had a first-round grade on Johnson and still got him in the third round, which makes the pick even more tantalizing. Johnson was the most underrated receiver in the draft and has a chance to be a reliable target for Ben Roethlisberger right away. That’s because he has a good understanding of route combinations and runs precise routes. Grade: A

    https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/201904290093
    Last edited by hawaiiansteel; 04-30-2019 at 03:53 PM.

  6. #196
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    The Trade Chain: from Mathias Kiwanuka to John Skelton to Diontae Johnson

    Two selections from the Steelers 2019 draft are a result of four different trades going back to 2008.

    By Dave.Schofield

    May 1, 2019, 12:05pm EDT

    Earlier this offseason, I outlined in an article how the Steelers turned a 2004 third-round draft pick by the Kansas City Chiefs into the selection of James Conner in 2017 and his subsequent Pro Bowl appearance. Now that the 2019 NFL draft has concluded, the names Diontae Johnson and Zach Gentry will be linked to several Steelers trades, beginning with the 2006 draft. In a weird twist of fate, the story begins with the last time the Steelers traded up in the first round of the draft before 2019, and ends (for now) with the same player announcing one of the picks which he indirectly created.

    2006 NFL Draft (Trade #1)

    The Steelers entered the 2006 draft on the heels of their fifth Lombardi Trophy. With the 32nd pick in the first round, the Steelers traded up to the 25th selection with the New York Giants, costing them their third and fourth round picks as well. After the Steelers selected wide receiver Santonio Holmes out of Ohio State, the Giants selected Mathias Kiwanuka (32nd), Gerris Wilkinson (96th), and Guy Whimper (129th). If Whimper sounds familiar, it’s because he spent the 2013 season with the Steelers.

    2010 Offseason (Trade #2)

    After his Super Bowl winning catch in the 2008 season and a 2009 with 1,248 yards (his only season over 1,000 yards), the Steelers decided to trade Holmes as he was facing a four-game drug suspension. Taking what they could get, the Steelers shipped Holmes to the New York Jets for a fifth-round pick just ten days before the 2010 draft.

    2010 NFL Draft (Trade #3)

    When it came time for the third day of the 2010 NFL draft, the Steelers subsequently traded the pick they received from the Jets (155th) to the Arizona Cardinals for Bryant McFadden and Arizona’s sixth-round selection (195th). The Cardinals’ used the selection to draft quarterback John Skelton out of Fordham.

    McFadden spent his first four seasons in Pittsburgh before signing with Arizona as an unrestricted free agent. After only one season with the Cardinals, the Steelers acquired McFadden back for two more seasons before cutting him in the offseason of 2012.

    As for the sixth round selection the Steelers received in return from the Cardinals, they selected wide receiver Antonio Brown out of Central Michigan.

    2019 Offseason (Trade #4)

    After seven Pro Bowls and four All Pro seasons in Pittsburgh, things fell apart with Antonio Brown and the Steelers leading into Week 17 of the 2018 season. With no sign of reconciliation, the Steelers tried to get as much as they could for Brown as he was continually tanking his trade value. Ultimately, the Steelers only received a third-round and fifth-round pick in the 2019 draft from the Oakland Raiders.

    2019 NFL Draft

    With the trade of Antonio Brown, the Steelers received a third-round pick (66th), and a fifth-round pick (141st) from the Oakland Raiders. The selection of wide receiver Diontae Johnson out of the University of Toledo, a player many think has comparable skill sets to Brown, was ironically announced by Santonio Holmes. The Steelers added tight end Zach Gentry out of Michigan as their fifth-round selection.

    Time will tell whether or not either selection the Steelers made as a result of the Antonio Brown trade will end up making a splash. It’s fairly certain both Johnson and Gentry will be forever tied to the Brown in the minds of Steeler fans. But the path which led to both players ending up in black and gold actually began 13 years prior when Kevin Colbert moved up in the first round of the NFL draft, much like the Steelers did in 2019.

    https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2019/5/1/18513181/the-trade-chain-from-mathias-kiwanuka-to-john-skelton-to-diontae-johnson-2019-nfl-draft-steelers
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

    Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

    We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

    We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

  7. #197
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Tuesday, Apr 30, 2019 10:00 AM

    'He checked all of the boxes'


    Why you should be excited about third-round pick Diontae Johnson:


    He’s special: Johnson, a 5-foot-10, 183-pound wide receiver from Toledo, produced four return scores (two on punts and two on kickoffs) over the last two seasons. He averaged 20.2 yards per punt return and 23.4 yards per kickoff return at Toledo.


    He’s decorated: Johnson was the MAC Special Teams Player of the Year, first-team all-MAC at punt returner and wide receiver and second-team at kickoff returner in 2018.


    He’s productive: Johnson caught 137 passes for 2,276 yards and 24 touchdowns in 38 games at Toledo. His best season was in 2017, when he caught 74 passes for 1,278 yards ( a Toledo single-season record) and 13 touchdowns and led the MAC in all-purpose yards per game (148.0).


    He has character and charisma: “I fell in love with him after spending time with him, dining with him, and talking to him, seeing his passion for the game, his passion for wanting to be great, and his passion for his teammates,” Steelers wide receivers coach Darryl Drake said. “As you get to be around him, you’re going to love his smile and his personality and his style of play.


    “I went to Toledo and spent some time there and with him. I also attended his Pro Day and I met him at the Combine. I had time to really be around him because it was important to me what kind of character he had. That’s extremely important and he checked all of the boxes as far as that’s concerned.


    “I’ve been doing this for 40 years, and he was one of the best interviews and guys that I’ve been around in a long time.”


    The Steelers beat the Bucs to the punch: “There were so many people at his Pro Day and there were so many coaches who were at that Pro Day and everybody raved about this kid, so he probably would not be around (past the third round),” Drake said. “I know for a fact Tampa Bay was going to take him on their next pick, and I got cussed out by the Tampa Bay head coach who called me some names for taking him because that was his guy.


    “We all talk, receiver coaches talk. He was the one guy everybody talked about, and there wasn’t one guy who didn’t like this guy.”


    He’s Roy Hobbs: General Manager Kevin Colbert, like Drake, was effusive in is praise of Johnson.


    ”Diontae Johnson is a nice insider-, outside-capable receiver that does both punt and kick returns,” Colbert assessed. “When we talked about Diontae in our meetings, Phil Kreidler, our scouting coordinator, when he read his report on Diontae was just kind of funny. I know Coach Drake used the same terms, but (Kreidler) must’ve said ‘natural’ five times.


    “It's just what we believe, that this kid is just a natural football talent.”

    https://www.steelers.com/news/he-checked-all-of-the-boxes
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

    Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

    We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

    We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

  8. #198
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    As a Juju pick hater.......I count myself among said "fools".
    It is the one argument I lost with Dizz.

    Doubt Colbert's receiver pick here?

    You mean the only one you will admit.

  9. #199
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Tuesday, Apr 30, 2019 10:00 AM

    'He checked all of the boxes'


    Why you should be excited about third-round pick Diontae Johnson:


    He’s special: Johnson, a 5-foot-10, 183-pound wide receiver from Toledo, produced four return scores (two on punts and two on kickoffs) over the last two seasons. He averaged 20.2 yards per punt return and 23.4 yards per kickoff return at Toledo.


    He’s decorated: Johnson was the MAC Special Teams Player of the Year, first-team all-MAC at punt returner and wide receiver and second-team at kickoff returner in 2018.


    He’s productive: Johnson caught 137 passes for 2,276 yards and 24 touchdowns in 38 games at Toledo. His best season was in 2017, when he caught 74 passes for 1,278 yards ( a Toledo single-season record) and 13 touchdowns and led the MAC in all-purpose yards per game (148.0).


    He has character and charisma: “I fell in love with him after spending time with him, dining with him, and talking to him, seeing his passion for the game, his passion for wanting to be great, and his passion for his teammates,” Steelers wide receivers coach Darryl Drake said. “As you get to be around him, you’re going to love his smile and his personality and his style of play.


    “I went to Toledo and spent some time there and with him. I also attended his Pro Day and I met him at the Combine. I had time to really be around him because it was important to me what kind of character he had. That’s extremely important and he checked all of the boxes as far as that’s concerned.


    “I’ve been doing this for 40 years, and he was one of the best interviews and guys that I’ve been around in a long time.”


    The Steelers beat the Bucs to the punch: “There were so many people at his Pro Day and there were so many coaches who were at that Pro Day and everybody raved about this kid, so he probably would not be around (past the third round),” Drake said. “I know for a fact Tampa Bay was going to take him on their next pick, and I got cussed out by the Tampa Bay head coach who called me some names for taking him because that was his guy.


    “We all talk, receiver coaches talk. He was the one guy everybody talked about, and there wasn’t one guy who didn’t like this guy.”


    He’s Roy Hobbs: General Manager Kevin Colbert, like Drake, was effusive in is praise of Johnson.


    ”Diontae Johnson is a nice insider-, outside-capable receiver that does both punt and kick returns,” Colbert assessed. “When we talked about Diontae in our meetings, Phil Kreidler, our scouting coordinator, when he read his report on Diontae was just kind of funny. I know Coach Drake used the same terms, but (Kreidler) must’ve said ‘natural’ five times.


    “It's just what we believe, that this kid is just a natural football talent.”

    https://www.steelers.com/news/he-checked-all-of-the-boxes
    I hope we get more than this, but I think Johnson will at least be a valuable returner next season.

    Not the worst thing for someone who will likely top out as the 3rd / 4th WR on the depth chart this year.

    I was actually hoping that we wouldn't take a WR this early assuming that JuJu and Montcrief would be 1 & 2 and that Washington would earn the 3WR spot (and Eli / Switzer could handle it if he couldn't).

    Hoping that the 1st round grade thing pans out this time (Nth time's a charm, right).
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 05-02-2019 at 05:25 PM.

  10. #200
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    We all want him to pan out to be a great Wr. This year thou, we need him to be a great return man.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •