Thread: Did We Get The Better Devin?

Legend

User Info Menu

Did We Get The Better Devin?

I've gone back and watched compared the Devins, and I'm not sure Bush isn't the better of the 2.

I feel like Bush got rated lower only because of size, but there's a 1 inch and 3 lb difference. These guys are really close comparisons on paper. It's ridiculous how close their numbers are in shorts.

So the only difference is to look at them on tape and that's where there's a big difference the more I watch them. Bush is the more violent player and better tackler imho and he seems to have better instincts. To me, Bush looks like the much safer pick of the 2.

That said, I can see flashes in Devin White, but I think him rating higher is based on speculative potential more so that play on the field. If you just watch their highlights, White looks more impressive at times being able to fight to get off blocks, he looks like an other world LB. But if you dig into more than his highlights, he often looks lost and gets washed up in traffic a lot and looks like a mediocre LB at times.

Maybe some of it is competition and the quality of teammates, but White's Alabama game was one where he didn't really stand out and make me think this guy was a top 5 pick let alone even a 1st rounder.

Bush on the other hand looks like the more sound player. Even if I watch him in games where Michigan wasn't at their best, I never felt like he ever looked lost on the field. Maybe the one area he'll struggle is disengaging from blocks given his size and shorter arms, but I would bet he'll figure it out because he seems to enjoy being physical and banging with guys.

I tried to be open minded about both guys to try to see why White was rated higher and I'm pretty convinced it was based on upside/potential, but with that upside/potential, I see a lot more downside risk in White. I'm not sure where to pin the downside exactly, but White doesn't come across as a guy that has heart or loves to be out there being physical. Some of his tackling attempts are downright bad arm tackles. Bush seems like the complete opposite when watching him in games.

Bottom line, I think there's a big difference in both of these guys that most think are very similar. And now I'm convinced there may be a 10% shot that White will be better because of his potential, I think there's a 90% better shot that Bush will be the better player because he's the more natural football player. And I think he's got a legit chip on his shoulder being undersized.

Legend

User Info Menu

Yes, we got massively better with Devin. Thatís why we went all in, and it was the only real move they could make. This team doesnít need a ton of players, it Needs impact players in positions of weakness. The Steelers imo are a OLB, DB and ILB away from being a real contender again. They got the only guy not named White who could make an instant impact at ILB.

Starter

User Info Menu

Bush was actually rated as the best player in the entire draft by a couple of people. Can’t remember who, but if you Google it you’ll find it
    Last edited by spyboots; 04-26-2019 at 01:46 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by spyboots View Post
    Bush was actually rated as the best player in the entire draft by a couple of people. Can’t remember who our fan but if you Google it you’ll find it
    Thanks for the tip. Found this https://www.maizenbrew.com/football/2019/4/23/18512225/louis-riddick-says-devin-bush-is-the-best-player-in-the-nfl-draft

Not sure I'm as high on Bush as this guy, but I literally was trying to find bad plays on the Devins and it was easier to find bad ones from White, but not so easy with Bush.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Feeling more confident in this pick, not that I was doubting it.

I mentioned somewhere else, with Barron aboard he can play as our 3rd Safety. So with Bush he covers two picks in one...no need to draft a hybrid safety/dimebacker.
    ďIím so tired of LeíVeon," DeCastro told reporters (h/t ESPN's Jeremy Fowler ([url]https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1038909446146203649[/url])) after Sunday's game. "Iím so tired of it. Letís just worry about the guys in here. I know you guys have stories to write and what not. I love LeíVeon, but we gotta worry about the guys in here. Theyíre the only people that matter to me."

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by spyboots View Post
    Bush was actually rated as the best player in the entire draft by a couple of people. Canít remember who our fan but if you Google it youíll find it
    . I would question what those scouts were smoking. But, he is a very good ILB.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Thanks for the tip. Found this https://www.maizenbrew.com/football/2019/4/23/18512225/louis-riddick-says-devin-bush-is-the-best-player-in-the-nfl-draft

Not sure I'm as high on Bush as this guy, but I literally was trying to find bad plays on the Devins and it was easier to find bad ones from White, but not so easy with Bush.

I like Reddick, if I ever watch ESPN for NFL news, I look forward with his insight.
    ďIím so tired of LeíVeon," DeCastro told reporters (h/t ESPN's Jeremy Fowler ([url]https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1038909446146203649[/url])) after Sunday's game. "Iím so tired of it. Letís just worry about the guys in here. I know you guys have stories to write and what not. I love LeíVeon, but we gotta worry about the guys in here. Theyíre the only people that matter to me."

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

One of the TV commentators opined last night that “pound for pound”, Bush was the best player in the draft. “I really like this pick”, he said.

Legend

User Info Menu

Feel good about Bush ; now let’s complete the mission of fixing the middle of our defense.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

My official proclamation: WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. SO WHY DELAY THE INEVITABLE?

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

For what the Steelers will ask of him..There is more tape of him in college doing it versus White. I wouldn't separate the two. I like both but Bush came cheaper.