Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers select ILB Devin Bush in first round

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Here's my question; are the Steelers setting themselves up again by continuing to scheme a defense that requires rare, unique talent at a single position?? This was the complaint when Shazier went down. No backup plan with players that were on the roster.
    Having an excellent defense with a player or two that is quite difficult to replace is a much better problem to have in my mind than a barely average defense where all of the players are relatively easy to replace.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Here's my question; are the Steelers setting themselves up again by continuing to scheme a defense that requires rare, unique talent at a single position?? This was the complaint when Shazier went down. No backup plan with players that were on the roster.
    Hell of a question..

And look , can we be truthful,..

How good is Butler really as a DC?
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Legend

User Info Menu

Think of it this way. When we had Polamalu as the centerpiece of our defense, he was a unique dude who is virtually impossible to replace. Losing Troy was devastating to our overall defense, but when we had him in there, we won multiple Super Bowls.

If Devin Bush can have a Troy-like impact from the LB spot, then I don't mind at all if the defense we run requires a rare, unique talent at a single position...while we have that unique, rare talent available to us, we can all enjoy the ride.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

What Should Expectations Be for Devin Bush’s Rookie Season?

April 29, 2019
    By Parker Hurley

The Pittsburgh Steelers are a team that preaches patience with their rookies. They are not a team to push them into the lineup if they are not ready. However, they are also a team that does not trade up into the top ten for game changing players.

The Steelers trade up for Devin Bush is the first defensive trade up since Troy Polamalu, who did not start a single game for the Steelers in his rookie season. Still, that was a different NFL. The Steelers need to replace Ryan Shazier was apparent in their playoff loss to the Jaguars at the end of the 2017 season and the hole got deeper the following year.

But before the draft, and before the Steelers moved up 10 spots, general manager Kevin Colbert didn’t feel that it was an absolute necessity that his first-round pick be an instant starter.

“The people we draft, the longer we can keep them off the field the better for them historically,” Colbert said. “You really want to go in with these players and delay them getting on the field as long as you can because over time I think coach would get comfortable with what they can do but to have them have to step out and play, more often than not I think it is more detrimental to the player and if he loses his confidence early it’s usually not returnable.”

WILL BUSH START WEEK ONE?

History says that he should. Since 2000, eight inside linebackers have been taken in the top ten spots: Brian Urlacher, Luke Kuechly, A.J. Hawk, Jerod Mayo, LaVar Arrington, Ernie Sims, Rolando McClain, and Roquan Smith.

Of that group, the lowest number of starts was Arrington, who started 11 games back in 2000. Today’s NFL is designed for rookies to get on the NFL field even sooner. And Kuechly, Hawk, Mayo, and Sims started all 16 games of their rookie seasons.

Smith was drafted eighth overall just last season. He held out and barely participated in training camp before starting 14 games, compiling 121 tackles, one interception, five sacks and eight tackles for loss.

Smith was taken two picks higher, but was held in similar regard as a prospect, and did not need to be acquired via trade up. Considering the hold out, it is completely fair to expect Bush to start 16 as long as he is healthy and in camp.

“I think he will help us at some point, but it’ll be when he’s ready and not necessarily forcing him into a situation,” Colbert said after the draft. “He was a great player on a really good college defense. Michigan’s defense was as good as any we saw in college football last year. That ability to transfer over, it’s still going to be an NFL game that he has to transfer into, so the longer you can delay, the better it is for the kid. And like Coach mentioned, he can help on special teams right now. And where he plays schematically, I’m sure (head coach Mike) Tomlin and (defensive coordinator Keith) Butler and (inside linebackers coach Jerry) Olsavsky will figure that out in time. But I think that Devin will push the process, but it will be up to the coaches when he’s ready.

WILL BUSH CALL PLAYS?

It is worth noting that Smith did not call plays for the Bears on defense, though. Danny Trevathan was the play-calling linebacker, which allowed Smith to be more reactive.

Smith was held back by holding out, so can Bush call plays as a rookie? He called the plays for the Michigan defense a year ago, and he will likely still start, but he may be chasing Vince Williams next season.

One thing the Bears did to get Smith acclimated was let him call plays with the second team in the preseason, so that he would not disrupt the rhythm of Trevathan. Do not be surprised if Bush spends the summer running the second-team as a play caller before being promoted to a starter by Week One.

COULD BUSH WIN ROOKIE OF THE YEAR?

Even if Bush does not call the plays, Jon Bostic saw the field 53.6% of the snaps, and L.J. Fort played 29.2 of the time. That is 865 defensive snaps or 82.8% of the defensive plays.

Roquan Smith played 880 snaps, 83.6%. This is right in line with what we should expect Bush to do. While Smith did not win the Rookie of the Year, he was certainly in consideration.

Any linebacker who plays that often is going to be in consideration. Linebacker is the position that compiles the most stats, and stats are what voters look for. In fact, Smith only lost the Defensive Rookie of the Year award because of linebacker Leighton Vander Esch and linebacker Darius Leonard, who won the award.

In the past 18 years, nine linebackers have won the award, including Kuechly, Mayo and Urlacher, former top ten picks.

Bush will have Devin White to compete with but the two are the clear-cut front runners for Defensive Rookie of the Year.

Bush should be in line to start every game, and 100 tackles with a sack or two, a pick or two and a couple of tackles for loss should be expected based on past top ten picks at linebacker. If Bush is calling plays by the end of the season, he is even farther ahead of schedule than his peers, and will be on a path to longterm success in the NFL.

https://steelersnow.com/what-should-...rookie-season/

Legend

User Info Menu

Monday, Apr 29, 2019 08:00 AM

'He runs all the way through the sideline'

Mike Prisuta

Steelers.com

Why you should be excited about first-round pick Devin Bush:

He’s highly regarded: Bush, a 5-foot-11, 234-pound linebacker from Michigan, was widely considered by draft analysts as one of the top two players available at inside linebacker, a perceived position of need for the Steelers. Dane Brugler of The Athletic ranked Bush No. 1 and Devin White of LSU No. 2 at the position.

The Steelers uncharacteristically traded up to get Bush: “We thought that highly of him,” General Manager Kevin Colbert said. “I don’t want to say it was an easy trade to make, but it was easy in our minds to pick him with the 10th pick. So, we did what we had to do.”

Bush was exhaustively scouted: ”This is a unique football player and it was across the board in our evaluations,” Colbert said. “We had four personnel people, myself included. We had three coaches, Coach (Mike) Tomlin included and everybody said, ‘Wow, that’s a first-round pick.’”

He’s productive: Bush accounted for 194 tackles, 20 tackles for loss, 10 sacks, one interception and 17 passes defensed in 39 games (32 starts) at Michigan.

He’s a three-down player: Bush has 4.43 speed in the 40-yard dash and the ability to handle pass-coverage responsibilities as well as play sideline to sideline, but he can also rush the passer.

“I don’t want to underscore his blitzing capabilities,” head coach Mike Tomlin said. “I think that was as exciting to me as his coverage. I mean what I said, and I said he’s an exciting, all-situations linebacker. And to have that type of athleticism in the second level of defense I think is critical in today’s NFL.”

Inside linebackers coach Jerry Olsavsky maintained the sideline-to-sideline characterization didn’t do Bush’s game justice.

“He runs all the way through the sideline,” Olsavsky insisted. “He's not sideline to sideline, he runs through people. He can really close when he's going to make a tackle, that's an added trait. It’s different than just speed.

“When you want to run through the guy, that's really attractive.”

He’s decorated: Bush was the Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year, a second-team AP All-American and a team captain in 2018. He also earned Academic All-Big Ten honors twice.

He’s a leader: Michigan coaches considered Bush the “glue” of the Michigan defense according to Brugler. Tomlin said the Steelers “interviewed a lot of Michigan players through the draft process and it was unanimous in terms of who their unquestioned leader was, and that was attractive to us as well. The position that he plays is like a defensive quarterback, and I think that’s something that comes very natural to him.”

He has football bloodlines: Bush’s father, Devin Bush Sr., won a national championship as a safety at Florida State in 1993, was a first-round pick of the Falcons in 1995 (26th overall) and won Super Bowl XXXIV with the Rams.

“He’s a very cerebral football guy if you spend time with him and we spent time with him at several opportunities along the way at Indy (at the NFL Scouting Combine) and his Pro Day,” Tomlin said. “He’s a football guy, and a football guy through and through.”

https://www.steelers.com/news/he-runs-all-the-way-through-the-sideline

Legend

User Info Menu

What if Harrison missed our last SB?

Lewis miss a Ravens SB run?

Deon Sanders Niners own the Cowboys/ Deon changes teams and the Cowboys own the Niners.

Franco gets hurt and a team with EIGHT remaining HOFers gets smoked in the playoffs.

Unique talents are often irreplaceable. It is nothing new. Please give me more of these players.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 05-02-2019 at 06:12 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Again, even with Shazier ...the Jags were more physical then us and beat us. The Bears too. Shazier was not the end all to be all on defense. He was a great piece of the defense. We need to be hoping to have a better LB corps as a group as well as a secondary that can make some plays on the ball.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Legend

User Info Menu

Administrator

User Info Menu

People seem to consistently imply that our defense was great with Shazier and it went to $hit without him.

Let me serve as a reminder. Our defense SUCKED with Shazier. We weren't good with him and we were worse without him. We missed his playmaking ability.

He wasn't our savior and Bush won't be either regardless of how good they are (or were).
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Again, even with Shazier ...the Jags were more physical then us and beat us. The Bears too. Shazier was not the end all to be all on defense. He was a great piece of the defense. We need to be hoping to have a better LB corps as a group as well as a secondary that can make some plays on the ball.
    This is on point. I didn't see your post before I wrote another one that basically says the same thing.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.