Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers select ILB Devin Bush in first round

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    People seem to consistently imply that our defense was great with Shazier and it went to $hit without him.

Let me serve as a reminder. Our defense SUCKED with Shazier. We weren't good with him and we were worse without him. We missed his playmaking ability.

He wasn't our savior and Bush won't be either regardless of how good they are (or were).
    Our defense was OK before Shazier went down. It was terrible without him.

In the playoff we scored enough to win if we werent Horrible on defense.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Again, even with Shazier ...the Jags were more physical then us and beat us. The Bears too. Shazier was not the end all to be all on defense. He was a great piece of the defense. We need to be hoping to have a better LB corps as a group as well as a secondary that can make some plays on the ball.
    Nobody says our defense was "great" with Shazier.
    It was "better" with Shazier.

You wanna talk Jags and Bears regular season?
    The Jags beat us scoring all of 17 offensive points in the regular season with Shazier (2 Ben pick sixes)
    The Bears scored 23 points against us with Shazier.

We scored FORTY TWO points in a playoff loss......we scored MORE THAN THOSE TWO GAMES COMBINED and still lost without Shazier.

Our 42 points scored wins ANY GAME SHAZIER PLAYED IN AS A STEELER.

You can make a FAR BETTER CASE that we lost that game because of missing Shazier than you can that we lost to the Raiders in 76 because Franco and Rocky were out.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 05-03-2019 at 09:42 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Let me be more specific then..The Jags and Bears had their running games working with or without Shazier. We got pounded. Now that’s not just on Shazier per say but an indictment of our entire front seven with an eye on our linebacker corps. What’s changed on that linebacker corps? Still weak and I don’t look at Bush as a force Against the run.

Doesn’t matter if Bush is in their or Shazier; the linebacker corps is weak still and we are still inviting any physical running team to do what the Jags and Bears did. Nothing’s changed. Linebacker corps is still weak.
    Last edited by Steel Maniac; 05-06-2019 at 12:13 PM.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

My official proclamation: WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. SO WHY DELAY THE INEVITABLE?

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Legend

User Info Menu

NFL experts predict: Answering the 2019 draft's biggest questions

7:15 AM ET
    ESPN NFL Experts

Round 1 of the 2019 NFL draft featured six draft-day trades, pass-rushers and defensive linemen galore and surprises throughout. Rounds 2-7? That's where teams will find the real value.

Our panel of ESPN NFL experts evaluates the new crop of rookies, diving into their favorite picks and answering questions about what we should expect this season. Check back every day this week to see more answers:

Who was your favorite pick of the draft?

Matt Bowen, NFL analyst: DT Quinnen Williams to the New York Jets (No. 3 overall). Everything you see on tape with Williams is real. This guy is an interior game-wrecker who can rush the passer. And he has the versatility to play in multiple fronts for new defensive coordinator Gregg Williams.

Mike Clay, fantasy writer: QB Kyler Murray to the Arizona Cardinals (No. 1). If there was one player in this draft who could immediately change a franchise's fortune, it's Murray. Top quarterback prospects often are either prolific passers or super athletic. Murray is both. Props to Arizona for not succumbing to sunk cost bias with Josh Rosen and instead taking the potential game-changing quarterback in Murray.

Dan Graziano, national NFL writer: DE/OLB Josh Allen to the Jacksonville Jaguars (No. 7). What a break for Tom Coughlin's current team that his former team passed on the talented Kentucky pass-rusher at No. 6 and left him for the Jaguars. Allen adds to a position of strength, and being around the star players on all three levels of the Jacksonville defense should only help him fit in and make an impact as soon as possible.

KC Joyner, fantasy writer: LB Devin Bush to the Pittsburgh Steelers (No. 10). John Madden used to say that one or two tough tacklers can make all of the difference on defense, as their enthusiasm for hitting can inspire the rest of the defenders to be better hitters and tacklers. Bush will be that type of tackling and hitting difference-maker for a Steelers defense that has never been the same following Ryan Shazier's devastating injury.

Mina Kimes, NFL writer: DT Ed Oliver to the Buffalo Bills (No. 9). I liked the value that Jacksonville got with Josh Allen, but Oliver to the Bills was a better fit. He's the perfect replacement for Kyle Williams: A strong, explosive tackle who can rush the passer from the inside, and he will finally get to play his correct position.

Jason Reid, The Undefeated: QB Dwayne Haskins to the Washington Redskins (No. 15). Shortly before the 2012 draft, the Redskins sent four high-round picks -- three in the first round and one in the second -- to acquire the second overall pick from the then-St. Louis Rams, which they used to select quarterback Robert Griffin III. Obviously, Griffin didn't work out over the long haul. With the franchise still unsettled at QB, Washington used a first-round pick on Haskins, who obliterated Ohio State's single-season marks for passing yards and touchdown passes. I get that there are questions about him, partly because he started only one season for the Buckeyes, but he's a sharp, true pocket passer. And I almost forgot: Haskins has a boulder-sized chip on his shoulder after falling to No. 15. For Washington, this could work out spectacularly.

Mike Sando, senior NFL writer: QB Kyler Murray to the Arizona Cardinals (No. 1). Murray makes the Cardinals such a compelling team and gives them a chance at having a truly dynamic quarterback. The biggest short-term concern is simply whether Arizona can protect him.

Kevin Seifert, national NFL writer: QB Drew Lock to the Denver Broncos (No. 42). Whether or not he was overrated in mock drafts is irrelevant at this point. The Broncos grabbed a quarterback who has nearly 50 games experience at the SEC level, with perhaps the strongest arm in the entire draft, at a point in the second round where there is no pressure to get him on the field. He is easily John Elway's best pick at the position.

Field Yates, NFL analyst: DT Quinnen Williams to the New York Jets (No. 3). I'll keep it simple: I thought Williams was the best player in the entire class. Getting him at No. 3 was not necessarily a heist -- the Cardinals were all-in on a quarterback upgrade, and Nick Bosa is the same caliber of player as Williams -- but the Jets were able to stay in their slot when they were unable to find a trade-down partner to land the star defensive lineman.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/story/_/id/26679818/nfl-experts-predict-answering-2019-draft-biggest-questions
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Nobody says our defense was "great" with Shazier.
    It was "better" with Shazier.

You wanna talk Jags and Bears regular season?
    The Jags beat us scoring all of 17 offensive points in the regular season with Shazier (2 Ben pick sixes)
    The Bears scored 23 points against us with Shazier.

We scored FORTY TWO points in a playoff loss......we scored MORE THAN THOSE TWO GAMES COMBINED and still lost without Shazier.

Our 42 points scored wins ANY GAME SHAZIER PLAYED IN AS A STEELER.

You can make a FAR BETTER CASE that we lost that game because of missing Shazier than you can that we lost to the Raiders in 76 because Franco and Rocky were out.
    We were also down 21 to 0 because of 2 turnovers on offense.

Would be nice if our O could protect the ball this year.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    We were also down 21 to 0 because of 2 turnovers on offense.

Would be nice if our O could protect the ball this year.
    I know that some will say that Ben was awesome coming back in that game (and he was).

But after the first game in Jax, we were counting on the O to help the D out by (1) protecting the football and (2) scoring first to put pressure on the Jags weak O.

We didn't do either because our franchise player had a terrible start to the game.

It's not the end of the world and it doesn't mean that Ben is terrible or we should get rid of him. But, I think he's got the lion's share of the blame for that loss.

Legend

User Info Menu

Joe: What combination of linebackers do u see playing the most this season with Barron, bush, and Williams?????

Ray Fittipaldo: I think Williams will still have a fairly prominent role. That is, if the opposition is smart. Let me explain. Good teams will run at the Steelers if they choose to play Barron and Bush together a lot in the base defense or running downs. The Patriots showed late last season that you still have to have players that are capable of stopping the run on your roster. Williams is effective in that role. So I think Williams will find his way onto the field more than people think. What percentage? I can't tell you because it depends on what opposing coaches do with their offensive game plans. But if coaches want to throw it all the time against the Steelers the truth is Williams won't see as much playing time as he did last season. They drafted Bush and signed Barron because Williams and Bostic were not good in coverage. At least the Steelers have a diverse set of linebackers now. They should be able to adapt to whatever the game plan is.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/201905060077

Legend

User Info Menu

Pleeeeease.... Williams stopping the run??? He got trucked against the Bears by Howard and he still has Fournette’s cleat marks in his chest from getting trampled in the playoffs in 2017. Enough of VW.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

My official proclamation: WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. SO WHY DELAY THE INEVITABLE?

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Even the best players get trucked from time to time.

That’s like saying Haden sucks because he got burned a few times.

It’s part of the game.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    Even the best players get trucked from time to time.

That’s like saying Haden sucks because he got burned a few times.

It’s part of the game.
    Someone please take Brian Urlacher's gold jacket away from him.

After all, he got trucked by Bettis in the snow this one time. Enough of Urlacher.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.