Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Conner

Legend

User Info Menu

James Conner: I haven’t earned anything yet

Posted by Josh Alper on May 29, 2019, 12:47 PM EDT

The Steelers have talked about moving toward more of a committee approach in the backfield this season and the player that led the way on the ground last year said he doesn’t have any problem with that.

James Conner had 188 more touches than Jaylen Samuels last season despite missing three games with a sprained ankle and he did well enough with those chances to rack up 1,470 yards and 13 touchdowns. Some might believe that’s enough to be the lead dog again in 2019, but Conner disagrees.

He said he hasn’t “earned anything yet” and that there’s room for Samuels and fourth-round pick Benny Snell even if he opens the year in the top spot on the depth chart.

“Obviously who doesn’t love carrying the ball, you know? But you look around the league, a lot of teams that are really successful and doing well are using multiple backs,” Conner said, via PennLive.com. “Like I’ve always said, that’s how you win games is with depth. So I’m all for it. Those guys are talented. They can make plays. They can make some plays that I can’t make, so I’m all for it.”

Samuels said that the team has practiced formations featuring him and Conner on the field at the same time, so it seems a lot of different ideas will be on the table as the team heads into training camp and the regular season.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/05/29/james-conner-i-havent-earned-anything-yet/
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    James is going to get dinged up. It's just the way he runs and initiates contact. There will be time to use others. I still think Samuels is the #2 choice especially after the way he ran against NE last season.
    Trust me, I love Samuels. But, he's not the runner Snell is. We'll have a hard-running backfield, with Samuels being the best pass-catcher, Conner being the most balanced and Snell simply being a determined, confident runner. It's a REALLY good bunch. ALL 3, pretty solid runners who run hard...

If this backfield needs anything, it's "a little speed". Might be able to find that undersized guy next year who runs a 4.4 in the draft as a 5-6 rounder
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    Trust me, I love Samuels. But, he's not the runner Snell is. We'll have a hard-running backfield, with Samuels being the best pass-catcher, Conner being the most balanced and Snell simply being a determined, confident runner. It's a REALLY good bunch. ALL 3, pretty solid runners who run hard...

If this backfield needs anything, it's "a little speed". Might be able to find that undersized guy next year who runs a 4.4 in the draft as a 5-6 rounder
    Time will tell who the better RB is, but the thing I like about Samuels is he's a different style runner than Conner/Snell. Conner and Snell have their own different styles, but generally its one cut and go. Samuels has a bit of a different style where he dances through holes, he'll change speeds/pacing, just a different type of guy to prepare for.

I'd rather see Conner (or Snell when Conner gets hurt) get the bulk of the carries and for Samuels to be the change of pace or the HBack in this offense. I really want to see Samuels on the field more in the RedZone because he's a matchup problem and has a nose for the endzone. But I'm a sucker for NC State players and see a lot of these guys. Samuels is one of those guys you just want on the field because he makes plays even though he doesn't have a traditional position.

Legend

User Info Menu

Samuels has the potential to a Larry Centers type of RB.

Or for those who only tend to follow Steeler players, a latter day John L. Williams.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I like the way samuels played vs the Saints but it definitely takes him a while to get through the hole.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Samuels has the potential to a Larry Centers type of RB.

Or for those who only tend to follow Steeler players, a latter day John L. Williams.
    Larry Centers is a perfect example of who he is... and that's a REALLY good player. We may get into this season and feel that our team has (arguably) the best backfield in the game...
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

Legend

User Info Menu

Centers was really an interesting dude back in the 90's.

He might get you in the neighborhood of 100-200 yards on the ground total in any given year (the most yardage he every ran for in his career was 425), but he was usually good for 60-100 catches for 500-900 yards through the air throughout his career.

In 14 NFL seasons as an NFL RB with 4 different teams, he ran for a total of only 2188 rushing yards, but had 827 total catches for 6797 receiving yards. He also had twice as many receiving TD's in his career (28) as rushing TD's (14).

And this was before the huge passing boon this league has experienced, so you'd think we'd see even more Larry Centers types now. Samuels could be that guy for us. Maybe he only runs the ball 2-3 times in any given game, but he could easily supplement that with 5-6 catches out of the backfield as well.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Who was the Pats RB who always torched us in the flat. I hated that dude.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    Who was the Pats RB who always torched us in the flat. I hated that dude.
    Perhaps it was Kevin Faulk. He developed into a fairly reliable receiver out of the backfield, after he overcame some early-career fumbling issues.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tiproast View Post
    Perhaps it was Kevin Faulk. He developed into a fairly reliable receiver out of the backfield, after he overcame some early-career fumbling issues.
    I knew you would swoop in here with his stankin’ ass name.

That’s him.