Thread: Conner

Legend

User Info Menu

Legend

User Info Menu

James Conner: ĎIím Going To Go Back To The Pro Bowl Every Yearí

By Daniel Valente
    Posted on July 12, 2019

Pittsburgh Steelers running back James Conner was a recent guest on the podcast of current performing artist and former Duke pitcher Mike Stud. Among topics such as their friendship, spiritual beliefs and Connerís battle with cancer, the Steelersí running back also made a promise that as long as he remained a starter, he would continue to make the Pro Bowl.

ďI went to the Pro Bowl, that experience was crazy. Just seeing Hopkins, Von Miller, Mahomes, all of them. Just getting tight with them and knowing them as dudes rather than just saying good game after the game. The experience was great, I gotta go back every year and Iím going to go back every year. Every year I start, Iím going to the Pro Bowl,Ē Conner told Stud.

Connerís road to his first Pro Bowl selection last season was a bit of an unexpected one as he was thrusted into a starting role after LeíVeon Bell failed to show up last season.

The Steelersí running back will now start his bid for another Pro Bowl selection this season and he may have a heads-up on years prior as this marks the first offseason that the 24-year old back has gone into already knowing his role with the team. The running backís first two off seasons were clouded by the franchise tag negotiations and possible holdout from Bell. Conner spoke to Stud about what it was like being a rookie and dealing with Bellís training camp absence.

ďHe sits out the whole training camp. So, Iím running and Iím like oh okay, I might ball out this year. LeíVeon goní show up a week before the season start. They tagged him, he getting $15 million dollars that year, obviously he goní start. So, he starts and he played that whole season and so Iím like damn.Ē

Conner finished his rookie season with just 32 touches and failed to record a reception or a touchdown. While his production and usage differed greatly from his college days, the Steelersí running back maintained a positive mindset through it all.

ďI said something goní happen because they were in contract (negotiations) again next year. I know Iím a starting running back. Iím staying positive forsure, Iím in the league, Iím healthy.Ē

Sure enough, something big was brewing on the horizon as Bell sat out another training camp with rumours that he could sit out for the entire year. Conner was not surprised by this challenge but was instead chomping at the bit as he showed up to camp in the best shape of his life.

ďIím running with the ones all throughout training camp again. (LeíVeon) holding out but he was talking after last season, he was like tag me again, Iím about to sit out. Iím chomping at the bit, oh you goní sit out, Iím about to work. Iím going hard in training camp, best shape ever of my life, my offseason training went good. I said this is year Iím going to be at my full strength, my best, they ainít never see a me like this before, not even in college.Ē

Though Conner arrived in the best shape of his life, he had witnessed this exact scenario play out a year prior and was fully expecting Bell to show up a week before the season. When that did not happen, the former Pitt Panther realized this was his shot at showing the world what he could do.

ďWe get back to Pittsburgh, and Iím like okay heís going to walk through this door any second. He bout to be back and get a starting role. Tuesday goes by, he donít show up. Wednesday goes by, he donít show up. Thursday go by, he donít show up. Iím like oh, we game planned for three days now, he not going in with the game plan or nothing. Friday come around, he ainít there. Saturday come and we go to the hotel, he ainít show up and I said week one I gotta go versus Cleveland. I grew up watching the Steelers and Browns rivalry. So, I came out and tore they *ss up.Ē

As Bellís absences continued, Connerís production only increased as the Steelers hardly missed a beat with their new lead back. Conner recorded 973 rushing yards, 497 receiving yards and 14 total touchdowns as he earned an invite to the Pro Bowl. Now having experienced his first taste of the Pro Bowl, the Steelersí running back is determined to make it a tradition for years to come.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/07/ja...elers+Depot%29

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    James Conner: ‘I’m Going To Go Back To The Pro Bowl Every Year’

By Daniel Valente
    Posted on July 12, 2019

Pittsburgh Steelers running back James Conner was a recent guest on the podcast of current performing artist and former Duke pitcher Mike Stud. Among topics such as their friendship, spiritual beliefs and Conner’s battle with cancer, the Steelers’ running back also made a promise that as long as he remained a starter, he would continue to make the Pro Bowl.

“I went to the Pro Bowl, that experience was crazy. Just seeing Hopkins, Von Miller, Mahomes, all of them. Just getting tight with them and knowing them as dudes rather than just saying good game after the game. The experience was great, I gotta go back every year and I’m going to go back every year. Every year I start, I’m going to the Pro Bowl,” Conner told Stud.

Conner’s road to his first Pro Bowl selection last season was a bit of an unexpected one as he was thrusted into a starting role after Le’Veon Bell failed to show up last season.

The Steelers’ running back will now start his bid for another Pro Bowl selection this season and he may have a heads-up on years prior as this marks the first offseason that the 24-year old back has gone into already knowing his role with the team. The running back’s first two off seasons were clouded by the franchise tag negotiations and possible holdout from Bell. Conner spoke to Stud about what it was like being a rookie and dealing with Bell’s training camp absence.

“He sits out the whole training camp. So, I’m running and I’m like oh okay, I might ball out this year. Le’Veon gon’ show up a week before the season start. They tagged him, he getting $15 million dollars that year, obviously he gon’ start. So, he starts and he played that whole season and so I’m like damn.”

Conner finished his rookie season with just 32 touches and failed to record a reception or a touchdown. While his production and usage differed greatly from his college days, the Steelers’ running back maintained a positive mindset through it all.

“I said something gon’ happen because they were in contract (negotiations) again next year. I know I’m a starting running back. I’m staying positive forsure, I’m in the league, I’m healthy.”

Sure enough, something big was brewing on the horizon as Bell sat out another training camp with rumours that he could sit out for the entire year. Conner was not surprised by this challenge but was instead chomping at the bit as he showed up to camp in the best shape of his life.

“I’m running with the ones all throughout training camp again. (Le’Veon) holding out but he was talking after last season, he was like tag me again, I’m about to sit out. I’m chomping at the bit, oh you gon’ sit out, I’m about to work. I’m going hard in training camp, best shape ever of my life, my offseason training went good. I said this is year I’m going to be at my full strength, my best, they ain’t never see a me like this before, not even in college.”

Though Conner arrived in the best shape of his life, he had witnessed this exact scenario play out a year prior and was fully expecting Bell to show up a week before the season. When that did not happen, the former Pitt Panther realized this was his shot at showing the world what he could do.

“We get back to Pittsburgh, and I’m like okay he’s going to walk through this door any second. He bout to be back and get a starting role. Tuesday goes by, he don’t show up. Wednesday goes by, he don’t show up. Thursday go by, he don’t show up. I’m like oh, we game planned for three days now, he not going in with the game plan or nothing. Friday come around, he ain’t there. Saturday come and we go to the hotel, he ain’t show up and I said week one I gotta go versus Cleveland. I grew up watching the Steelers and Browns rivalry. So, I came out and tore they *ss up.”

As Bell’s absences continued, Conner’s production only increased as the Steelers hardly missed a beat with their new lead back. Conner recorded 973 rushing yards, 497 receiving yards and 14 total touchdowns as he earned an invite to the Pro Bowl. Now having experienced his first taste of the Pro Bowl, the Steelers’ running back is determined to make it a tradition for years to come.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/07/ja...elers+Depot%29
    Hopefully he’s too busy playing in the Super Bowl a few times.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer View Post
    Boom!.............
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

My official proclamation: WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. SO WHY DELAY THE INEVITABLE?

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer View Post
    Need more than 0 *’s playing in the pro bowl. Ain’t been one *’s helmet on the field in 3 years!!! Lol.

Legend

User Info Menu

James Conner says doctors gave him dire prognosis without cancer treatment

By Charean Williams | Jul 16, 2019, 6:46 PM EDT

Steelers running back James Conner learned of his cancer diagnosis in 2015. He recently revealed that his stage two Hodgkin’s lymphoma was caught in the nick of time.

Doctors found tumors in his neck and chest, and then the news got worse.

“My heart, I got tumors growing all around it,” Conner said during a podcast hosted by Michael Seander, via SI.com.

Conner said he didn’t have long to live without treatment.

“He said you got about a week — if you didn’t get this treated, you had about a week — at the rate it was growing,” Conner told Seander.

Conner underwent six months of chemotherapy and was declared cancer-free in May 2016. He returned to the field that season and then the Steelers drafted him in the third round in 2017.

Conner, 24, gained 1,470 yards from scrimmage and scored 13 touchdowns last season.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Damn, Connor looks absolutely ripped this season. He really put in the work this offseason.

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora/stat...610101249?s=20

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Damn, Connor looks absolutely ripped this season. He really put in the work this offseason.

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora/stat...610101249?s=20
    Steelers RB Coach Eddie Faulkner: ĎJames Conner Bout To Go Crazy This Yearí

By Dave Bryan
    Posted on August 5, 2019

In the social media world that we now live in itís easy to spot the presence of nearly every current NFL player on either Twitter, Instagram or Facebook, and sometimes all three. However, we are also starting to see more and more NFL coaches increasing their own presences on social media. New Pittsburgh Steelers running backs coach Eddie Faulkner is one of those NFL coaches not afraid to post on his social media accounts from time to time. In fact, Faulkner not only posted Monday morning on his social media accounts, he also made a bold 2019 prediction for a player that he coaches.

ďJames Conner bout to go crazy this year!,Ē Faulkner posted Monday morning on his social media accounts. ďJust wait!Ē

While the Steelers might mix in some of Jaylen Samuels and rookie Benny Snell Jr. throughout the 2019 season, thereís no reason to think that the team will use a full-blown backfield-by-committee approach that several analysts have been attempting to sell most of the spring and summer. In short, expect James Conner to be the Steelers bell cow running back once again in 2019 and hopefully that includes him not having to miss any games due to injuries.

Last season, Conner was responsible for roughly 75 percent of all the Steelers run attempts up until he got injured in Week 13. He had also played roughly 80% of all offensive snaps before suffering an ankle injury that ultimately forced him to miss the next three games. Then-rookie Samuels proceeded to play well in Connerís absence even though his running style is a bit different and includes more patience.

While Conner might have a slight decrease in his overall offensive playing time percentages in 2019, he still should see the field plenty and potentially enough to produce more than the 1,470 total yards from scrimmage that he produced in 2018. He totaled 270 touches last season and that was even with him missing three-and-a-half games due to injury. Will he hit 300-325 total touches in 2019? That might be too high of expectations but averaging 20 a game certainly isnít unthinkable, just the same..

ďItís a long season,Ē Faulkner said back in June, according to Mike Persak of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. ďYouíve [have to] be cognizant for sure. And at the same time, keep him sharp and playing at a high level throughout. So that is a challenge, especially with a guy like James whoís ready to go out there and heíll play every stinking play of the season if he could.Ē

So, should you believe Faulknerís prediction that Conner will go crazy this year? Yes, I think you should. I mean, why wouldnít you?

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/08/st...azy-this-year/

Legend

User Info Menu

I just want Conner to be healthy for an entire season and Super Bowl run. Is it crazy to want that?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I just want Conner to be healthy for an entire season and Super Bowl run. Is it crazy to want that?
    A little crazy given his physical style.

Hopefully Snell and Samuel can take a few more snaps away from Conner so we can have him running downhill at the end of the season.