Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Conner

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    Trust me, I love Samuels. But, he's not the runner Snell is. We'll have a hard-running backfield, with Samuels being the best pass-catcher, Conner being the most balanced and Snell simply being a determined, confident runner. It's a REALLY good bunch. ALL 3, pretty solid runners who run hard...

If this backfield needs anything, it's "a little speed". Might be able to find that undersized guy next year who runs a 4.4 in the draft as a 5-6 rounder
    We can always call Dri Archer.

Legend

User Info Menu

Making too much of what we saw from Samuels last year. Samuels has dropped weight. So we don’t know how Samuels is going to look.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

My official proclamation: WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. SO WHY DELAY THE INEVITABLE?

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Legend

User Info Menu

IMO, if you want to be successful running the ball late in a game you need to have a #1 back that gets the lion's share of the carries during a game. Offensive linemen love blocking for running plays and wearing down a defense and imposing their will on the defense. Running backs need work to be effective, getting 10-12 ro 23-15 carriers doesn't get you into the flow of the game and give you a chance to dominate the other team but 20-25 carriers per game gives the opportunity to make big gains when the defense is tired and doesn't want to have to tackle a 215 pound back late in the game.

If you go running back by committee, imo, you'll need your QB to make plays to move the sticks late in games.

Pappy

The referee said that you hit Brian Sipe too hard. Did you hit him too hard?
    I hit him as hard as I could - Jack Lambert

1.20 - Devin Bush, ILB, Michigan
    3.66 - Diontae Johnson, WR, Toledo
    3.83 - Justin Layne, CB, MSU
    4.122 - Benny Snell, RB, Kentucky
    5.141 - Zach Gentry, TE, Michigan
    6.175 - Sutton Smith, OLB, Northern Illinois
    6.192 - Isaiah Buggs, DE, Alabama
    6.207 - Ulysees Gilbert III, OLB, Akron
    7.219 - Derwin Gray, OL, Maryland

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    IMO, if you want to be successful running the ball late in a game you need to have a #1 back that gets the lion's share of the carries during a game. Offensive linemen love blocking for running plays and wearing down a defense and imposing their will on the defense. Running backs need work to be effective, getting 10-12 ro 23-15 carriers doesn't get you into the flow of the game and give you a chance to dominate the other team but 20-25 carriers per game gives the opportunity to make big gains when the defense is tired and doesn't want to have to tackle a 215 pound back late in the game.

If you go running back by committee, imo, you'll need your QB to make plays to move the sticks late in games.

Pappy
    I agree with you. That’s why I think Conner will still get the Lions share of carries.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

My official proclamation: WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. SO WHY DELAY THE INEVITABLE?

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post

Pappy
    OR......you win the SB with a dominant run game with less reliance of throwing 60 time a game because we DID EXACTLY THAT the last time we opened with one back (Parker) and closed games with another (Bettis)

I like the idea of the bruising rookie closing games out myself which would lessen the load on Conner AND get him game ready in case of injury.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 05-31-2019 at 12:26 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Myles Garrett on James Conner: 'That's a man's running back'

By BRYAN DEARDO

James Conner earned the respect of Myles Garrett and the Cleveland Browns' defense last season.

In two games against the Browns last season, Conner, in his first season as Pittsburgh's staring running back, amassed 404 all-purpose yards and four touchdowns while helping the Steelers run their unbeaten streak against the Browns to 10 games. In all, Conner amassed 1,470 yards and 13 touchdowns last season despite missing three games due to injury.

Garrett, during an interview with NFL Films, offered his assessment of Conner heading into the 2019 season.

“That’s a man’s back right there," said Garrett, who like Conner is a member of the NFL's rookie class of 2017. “He runs it, like, kinda old school. He’ll try to stiff arm you, get around you, but the best way is to go through someone and that’s kinda his mentality.

“Taking [Le'Veon] Bell’s spot, people were kinda suspicious about how he was gonna do and what kind of impact he was gonna have, but he jumped in and made a big impact. We saw it first hand. He didn’t back down from the challenge.”

Another standout defensive player that has taken notice of Conner's recent success is Denver Broncos' pass rusher Von Miller. Miller, who faced Conner and the Steelers during Week 12 of the regular season, was impressed by what he saw out of Conner during this first season as a starting NFL running back.

“He’s great,” Miller said, via Steelers.com's Teresa Varley. “He’s a great player, he’s able to hit the holes the right way and take screens and catch the ball. Whatever it is, he’s a complete running back 100 percent.”

Conner has come a long way in a short period of time. After getting just 32 attempts during his rookie season, Conner underwent a grueling offseason workout regiment that led to him shedding nearly 10 points off of his 6'1 frame entering last spring's voluntary team practices. While Conner's conditioning was significantly better than it was the previous year, he also enhanced his pass catching and pass protection, two facets of his game that were scrutinized during his rookie season.

“It’s been fun to watch James because he’s a classic example of a guy who is in his second year, his second lap around the track, if you will," Pittsburgh head coach Mike Tomlin said before the start of last year's training camp. "It’s reasonable to expect those guys to be significantly better because there are no unknowns. They know what to expect. They’ve been in our program before. James is a reflection of that. He’s highly conditioned. Steelers fans are really gonna be impressed with his body and his level of conditioning."

While he may have used outside criticism to fuel him in the past, Conner recently said that he is no longer paying attention to what is being said about him on outside of Pittsburgh's organization. And while he knows that he won't even make everyone on the outside happy, Conner is only worried about having the trust and confidence of his teammates. Based on what he was able to accomplish last season, that doesn't seem to be a problem whatsoever.

“When my teammates said they believed in me, I didn’t pay attention to the outside world, what they thought," Conner said. "I just came to work every day. It was a funny position to be in, but I started all year and things worked out.”

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh...ck--132600684/

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    OR......you win the SB with a dominant run game with less reliance of throwing 60 time a game because we DID EXACTLY THAT the last time we opened with one back (Parker) and closed games with another (Bettis)

I like the idea of the bruising rookie closing games out myself which would lessen the load on Conner AND get him game ready in case of injury.
    Boom....................

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post

We've decided to pay Ben to throw the ball lots of times and put up lots of points. That seems like a good idea looking at last year when the last 4 teams all had elite O and most had average D.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    We've decided to pay Ben to throw the ball lots of times and put up lots of points. That seems like a good idea looking at last year when the last 4 teams all had elite O and most had average D.
    I'm thinking we paid 7 to win games for us and to win another ring for us before he rides off n not necessarily to pass lots n put up a lot of points.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    We paid him to win games. I think Ben has total control of the offense and can change plays when necessary.