Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Big Ben

Legend

User Info Menu

Ben Roethlisberger ready for “normalcy” after “crazy” few years

Posted by Charean Williams on June 17, 2019, 7:00 AM EDT

The Steelers have had a quiet offseason. Some might even say they are boring.

Ben Roethlisberger bonded with teammates at his Georgia lake house. Artie Burns knows he has to “get right or get going.” Mike Hilton said a holdout of training camp “hasn’t even crossed my mind” despite having not signed his exclusive rights tender and wanting a long-term deal. Alejandro Villanueva earns MBA from Carnegie Mellon. All the Steelers showed up for the mandatory minicamp for a change.

Quiet. Boring. Some might even say normal.

“You know it’s been a little crazy the last few years, maybe more so than usual that we’re used to dealing with,” Roethlisberger said at his annual football camp Sunday, via video from Jeremy Fowler from ESPN. “So to kind of get back to quote-unquote normalcy is kind of nice.”

What went unsaid was Antonio Brown is in Oakland and Le'Veon Bell is with the Jets.

The Steelers, though, also will have to figure out a way to replace the All-Pro players’ production. Bell and Brown contributed a combined 2,409 touches for 19,322 yards and 116 touchdowns in their years in Pittsburgh.

Roethlisberger is confident in his new weapons.

“I’m excited. I really am excited about what we have,” Roethlisberger said. “You know we put a lot of work in and that’s what it’s going to take. It’s going to take a team effort, and we’re all going to give everything we have and see where it goes. We can’t predict the future, but we can predict we’re going to give everything we have.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/06/17/ben-roethlisberger-ready-for-normalcy-after-crazy-few-years/
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Paul Zeise: A motivated Ben Roethlisberger is dangerous for the AFC North

PAUL ZEISE
    Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    JUL 12, 2019

With training camp two weeks away, the Steelers on paper are not as good as they were last year at this time.

They are without Antonio Brown, who is very much in the conversation as the NFL’s best receiver and was clearly the Steelers’ most dynamic playmaker. They are also without Le’Veon Bell, who was their workhorse and the engine that drove their offense. And while Bell sat out all of last season, heading into training camp, pretty much everyone believed he’d agree to play on the franchise tag.

So no, the roster isn’t better from a talent standpoint. What the Steelers do have, however, is a motivated Ben Roethlisberger, and my money is on the Steelers QB having a huge season and leading his team back to the top of the AFC North.

Roethlisberger often talked about how important Brown was to the offense. He did the same the last time he spoke to the media, even though Brown has trashed him publicly for being selfish and not a good leader. Roethlisberger said Brown “made him” the quarterback he’s become and his departure is a big loss for the offense.

That was all Roethlisberger being politically correct and trying to take the high road. He isn’t about to trash Brown for all the things he has done over the years — quitting on his team, purposely running wrong routes to protest not getting the ball enough, berating coaches on the sidelines, etc. — because there is no value in that for him.

Roethlisberger can’t win that kind of an argument. Where he can win the argument, though, is on the field, and that should excite Steelers fans.

We’ve seen that Roethlisberger is an intense competitor, and you know he hasn’t forgotten or let go of all the stuff that has been said and written about him the last six months.

The Steelers finished 9-6-1 and missed the playoffs last season with Brown. They never had Bell, so they really don’t need to try and replace his production because in 2018, he produced nothing.

This season, I expect Roethlisberger will be more free to spread the ball around to a lot of receivers and not feel so obligated to feed Brown and his enormous ego.

Only time will tell whether or not the Steelers made themselves better by getting rid of two of the locker room’s biggest headaches. The answer to that is the key to the Steelers’ season, and the front office is betting on that being the case.

But having a quarterback play with a chip on his shoulder — and with something to prove — will certainly help.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/201907120104

Legend

User Info Menu

I’m expecting to see a very efficient Ben this year.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Imagine getting the "Ben down by 5 with 1:48 left in the 4th" for an entire game? An entire season?? We wouldn't lose

Legend

User Info Menu

Ben Roethlisberger enjoying camp a little more this year

Posted by Josh Alper on August 1, 2019

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said in June that it was nice to get back to “normalcy” after things got “a little crazy” around the team in recent years and his good feelings about the team haven’t subsided at training camp.

Roethlisberger told reporters on Thursday that he’s been enjoying the first weeks of camp when asked if he’s been having a fun summer. When told that he’s said he’s enjoyed himself in the past, Roethlisberger said this one was different.

“Yeah, but a little more so this year,” Roethlisberger said, via Mark Kaboly of TheAthletic.com. “I am not sure why but I am.”

The easy answer would be that wide receiver Antonio Brown, running back Le'Veon Bell and the drama that often swirled around both men are no longer in town. Given the recurring message from the Steelers that this offseason has been about renewed closeness between players, it’s hard not to draw that line even if Roethlisberger resisted naming any names.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ore-this-year/