Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Big Ben

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    My biggest frustration is 3rd and 4 and he goes deep when there is a guy wide open underneath. I know he isn’t the only one who does this but it frustrates me for obvious reasons.
    Yeah...heaving the ball 30-40 yards downfield on 3rd and short is always frustrating. I could understand it if there was a blown coverage and someone was completely uncovered way downfield, then sure. But he often does it with one-on-one tight coverage. Even when he completes a big play in those situations (one of those, "No...NO...NOOOO....YESSSSSSS!!!" situations), I always turn to my father or son or whoever's with me and say, "that was dumb, even though it worked out."
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Jeremy Fowler
    ESPN Staff Writer

After Tuesday's practice, I asked Ben Roethlisberger about executing what appeared to be a Patrick-Mahomes-style no-look pass. Roethlisberger said he can't remember the exact play but added he's had a 'periphery' throw in his arsenal for years, just in case. "It is pretty impressive what (Mahomes) did," Big Ben said.

1h
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Oh lord. Please don’t use that in a game.

Legend

User Info Menu

Latest Contract Extension Gives Roethlisberger A Chance To Chase Rings And Records

By Daniel Valente
    Posted on June 10, 2019

From the fans to the front office, many have been playing a guessing game on Ben Roethlisberger’s retirement for a number of years now. From contemplating retirement a few years ago to declaring that he is nowhere near finished a year later, the franchise quarterback has certainly kept everyone on their toes. The guessing game became a lot easier when the Pittsburgh Steelers gave Roethlisberger, who was in his last year under contract, a two-year contract extension, meaning that the quarterback will be under center for at least three more seasons.

The obvious good news is that his extension means that the Steelers will have Roethlisberger’s services for three more seasons, giving them three more opportunities to hoist the Lombardi trophy once more. It is safe to say that as long as the now 37-year old quarterback is on the field, the Steelers will be competitive and continue to have Super Bowl aspirations. While Roethlisberger is likely more concerned with adding to his two Super Bowl rings, his contract extension also means that there are a few other accolades he can hit as well.

Roethlisberger already owns just about every Steelers’ franchise record, only trailing Terry Bradshaw in career interceptions, though that is one record the quarterback likely does not want to hold. With every franchise record wrapped up, there are two specific NFL records that Roethlisberger can hit. Both of these records would speak volumes to the overall consistency that the Steelers’ franchise quarterback has brought to the franchise and to the field.

The Steelers’ quarterback has thrown for at least 200 yards and at least one touchdown in 26 consecutive games, dating back to October 15 2017. Roethlisberger is currently the NFL’s active leader in this department with a good distance between him and Patrick Mahomes, his next closest competitor, who has accomplished the feat in 11 consecutive games. The distance between Roethlisberger and the NFL record is much closer though as he only trails Drew Brees, who has the longest streak in NFL history with 29 consecutive games with at least 200 passing yards and at least one touchdown, which he set from December 2013 to November 2015.

It will not be easy for Roethlisberger to break Brees’ record as he has a handful of tough dates to begin the 2019 season. First, a trip to Foxborough to take on the New England Patriots awaits, then a tough game against the Seattle Seahawks at home before embarking on a dreaded road trip to the west coast to take on the San Francisco 49ers. Should Roethlisberger come out of that three-game stretch with the streak intact, he will have the opportunity to break the NFL record at home against the Cincinnati Bengals in week four.

When it comes to strictly throwing for at least 200 yards, Roethlisberger is also the NFL’s active leader with 36 consecutive games of at least 200 passing yards. Though he is much further away from the NFL record in this category.

Roethlisberger is still quite behind Matt Ryan but his contract extension makes it very possible that he can one day surpass him. The Steelers’ quarterback will be in his second year of his deal if he does surpass Ryan though he will not need to wait as long to leapfrog the others ahead of him. Roethlisberger can move into third all time this season and then pass Brees for second all time early in the 2020 season before finally passing Ryan towards the final quarter of the 2020 season.

While the path for the veteran quarterback to notch a few more accolades under his belt may seem straight forward and clear, the journey will obviously be much tougher. While it would be great to see Roethlisberger add more personal accolades to his resume, it goes without saying that securing another Super Bowl will be the main goal for the 37-year old quarterback. Luckily, with his latest contract extension, he will have the chance to chase both.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/06/la...s-and-records/

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    Oh lord. Please don’t use that in a game.
    This. We're trying to reduce the number of picks this year.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Roethlisberger already owns just about every Steelers’ franchise record, only trailing Terry Bradshaw in career interceptions,
    He trails Bradshaw in the most important one of all. Rings

Legend

User Info Menu

Jeremy Fowler
    ESPN Staff Writer

Ben Roethlisberger on the Steelers perceived as underdogs: ‘We're still the Pittsburgh Steelers.'

31m

Legend

User Info Menu

Tuesday, Jun 11, 2019 01:15 PM

Ben likes what he sees so far

Teresa Varley

Steelers.com

The final leg of the Steelers offseason is underway with the team’s mandatory minicamp beginning on Tuesday at the UPMC Rooney Sports Complex.

It’s the final warmup before the team has a five week break before reporting to training camp at Saint Vincent College, something that is already on the mind of Ben Roethlisberger.

“We’re just going to keep the train rolling,” said Roethlisberger. “Latrobe will be here before we know. It’s a more normal schedule now. It does feel a little more like the regular season.”

Minicamp is basically an extension of OTAs, the main difference being the daily schedule as Roethlisberger mentioned. What it does provide is more opportunities for the offense to work together, and Roethlisberger to get comfortable with the receivers he will be throwing to. One of those he is quickly building a rapport with is Donte Moncrief, who signed with the team as a free agent this offseason and is a player Roethlisberger pinpointed when asked who has made a mark this offseason.

“I'd probably go with Donte Moncrief just because it’s new,” said Roethlisberger. “I kind of know what to expect from some of the other guys. I wasn't really sure what to expect when he came in. I didn't know him and now just getting to see his work ethic, the type of person he is, his desire to be great, his knowledge of the offense already. We’ll do no-huddle stuff and I'll give him a signal and I'll be like, 'You good?' and he'll be like, 'Yeah.' He is in with coach (Darryl) Drake every single morning, pretty much all day.

“You see a desire and the want to be great. I've really enjoyed to opportunity to know him and to work with him so far. This is an awesome opportunity that he's here and we're getting to work together. He was with us when we went on our trip. It's just, it's been fun to get to know him as a person too.”

Moncrief is part of a group of weapons that Roethlisberger has at his disposal that includes JuJu Smith-Schuster, James Washington, Eli Rogers, Ryan Switzer, Diontae Johnson, Vance McDonald and a trio of running backs in James Conner, Jaylen Samuels and Benny Snell.

“It will be fun,” said Roethlisberger. “There are some holes that have been lost. We have a lot of guys who desire to fill those voids. It’s not going to be one person. It’s going to be a lot of different people. We have a lot of great running backs that not just run the ball well but catch it. It’s going to be fun if we can produce the way we think we can.

“It’s an awesome challenge for all of us to get to know each other, to learn, to do everything we can to be the best. That is what we are trying to do to win a championship. In order to do that we are all going to have to be our best.”

Roethlisberger has been doing everything he can to help out younger players during practice, giving them tips plain and simple on how he likes certain routes run and so forth, to bring out the best in them.

“I know the offense as well as anyone here,” said Roethlisberger. “I try to tell them what I expect. Coaches can coach a guy to do what the paper says on a route. But it ultimately comes down to what the quarterback wants and expects. I try to let them know so there are no secrets. Communication is always important.”

More from Ben:

On what he has seen from Mason Rudolph and Josh Dobbs this offseason:

“More comfortable, especially Mason. You see him settling into it a lot. Not afraid to step up to whatever group, whatever receiver. In the past you might have felt hesitancy to throw to certain guys. Now they are stepping in ready to go. Josh just continues to grow. A guy that is definitely more understanding, more comfortable in this offense. It’s fun to watch them grow.”

On Smith-Schuster stepping up as a leader:

“JuJu is a young guy, but a guy who has to expand on that leadership role, in his room especially. That room has gelled. They have a lot of fun together. We just want to see JuJu continue to grow the way he has, the path he is on. It’s been fun to be around him and watch his growth every year.”

On if he feels the team is in an underdog role this year:

“We are still the Pittsburgh Steelers. We are going to try and go out and win every game. It’s been a long time since we have been to the big one. If everyone pus forth the effort we all think we can and with the talent we have in this room, we feel pretty confident we can be pretty good.”

https://www.steelers.com/news/ben-likes-what-he-sees-so-far

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Yeah...heaving the ball 30-40 yards downfield on 3rd and short is always frustrating. I could understand it if there was a blown coverage and someone was completely uncovered way downfield, then sure. But he often does it with one-on-one tight coverage. Even when he completes a big play in those situations (one of those, "No...NO...NOOOO....YESSSSSSS!!!" situations), I always turn to my father or son or whoever's with me and say, "that was dumb, even though it worked out."
    I think it's the kind of thing you want to do every once in a while so that it's on tape and keeps the D honest in short yardage situations.

I also wonder how many of those plays are from the OC and how many are Ben recognizing a mismatch in the huddle / on the line.

Legend

User Info Menu

Big Ben: Steelers still confident despite changes

2:16 PM ET

Jeremy Fowler
    ESPN Staff Writer

PITTSBURGH -- The losses of Antonio Brown and Le'Veon Bell might temper outside expectations for the Pittsburgh Steelers, but not inside the team's locker room.

Asked about the Steelers' perceived underdog status, quarterback Ben Roethlisberger stood on track record.

"I'm been here a long time. We're still the Pittsburgh Steelers," said Roethlisberger on the team's first day of minicamp Tuesday. "We're still going to go out and try to win every football game. It's been a long time since we've been to the big one. But, if everyone puts forth the effort we all think we can, with the talent we have in this room, we feel pretty confident we can be pretty good."

For years a trendy top-five preseason pick, the Steelers ranked No. 16 in ESPN's Football Power Index this offseason. The Cleveland Browns are the biggest story in the AFC North, at least for now, after the acquisition of Odell Beckham Jr.

Despite falling short of the playoffs with a 9-6-1 record last year, the Steelers never have had a losing season in 15 years with Roethlisberger at quarterback, and they made the playoffs four straight years from 2014-17. Last year's team lost three December games by three points apiece, falling a half-game short of a division title.

After the franchise tag holdout by Bell, now a New York Jet, and Brown's late-season absence before forcing a trade to the Oakland Raiders, Steelers players are eager to keep the focus on football and off dramatic headlines.

"I think things have changed pretty well around here," guard David DeCastro said. "Just coming back and seeing it, talking to people. I'm excited, I really am, just to play football." Asked about tangible differences this offseason, DeCastro said "everyone's on the same page, team-oriented. That's the biggest step."

The onus is on Roethlisberger, last year's passing leader with 5,129 yards, to get the best out of a new batch of playmakers. JuJu Smith-Schuster is building off his first 100-catch season, but starting candidates such as James Washington and Donte Moncrief must prove they fit.

Roethlisberger calls that process an "awesome challenge."

"It's going to be fun if we can produce the way we think we can," he said. "Ultimately what we're trying to do is win a championship. In order to do that, we're all going to have to be at our best."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26949219/big-ben-steelers-confident-changes