Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers working to get new deal for Ben done before draft

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Steelers working to get new deal for Ben done before draft

per Schefty

Could they be exploring making enough room for Peterson. Clearing a trade up scenario for a LB?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    per Schefty

Could they be exploring making enough room for Peterson. Clearing a trade up scenario for a LB?
    Creativity should be on the table and I hope he wants to work this deal to benefit the team as a whole. I think Ben knows he is already a legend. But I know everyone, fan or not of him, would see him as truly “elite” if he wins another Super Bowl(s) on the back end of his career.

Legend

User Info Menu

I wish people would/could leave politics out of a Steelers Football Forum.

Legend

User Info Menu

Reports: Steelers, Ben Roethlisberger have agreed to deal through 2021

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 24, 2019, 10:27 AM EDT

The Steelers and Ben Roethlisberger have a deal done.

The two sides have agreed to a new deal that keeps Roethlisberger under contract through the 2021 season, according to multiple reports. Roethlisberger had been heading into the final year of his old contract.

There’s no immediate word on the financials of the deal.

Roethlisberger and the Steelers had reportedly both been motivated to get a deal done before the draft, to give both sides some certainty about the future of the franchise. Now the Steelers can prepare as if Roethlisberger is going to retire a Steeler, and can work on bringing in the players necessary to win another Super Bowl before he’s done.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/24/reports-steelers-ben-roethlisberger-have-agreed-to-deal-through-2021/
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

What will Ben Roethlisberger’s new deal look like?

Posted by Mike Florio on April 24, 2019, 10:32 AM EDT

As the 15th anniversary of his Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger‘s selection as the 11th overall pick in the draft approaches, Roethlisberger will be signing a contract that will dwarf the base six-year, $22.26 million deal he received in 2004. So how much will Roethlisberger make?

Although the Steelers haven’t been shy about paying Roethlisberger close to market value, Roethlisberger was careful about not letting out details of his last deal. That contract, signed in March 2015, put him at $21.85 million per year in new money, not far behind Aaron Rodgers‘ former rate of $22 million per year, the top of the market at the time.

Rodgers is now at $33.5 million per year in new money, and Russell Wilson recently jumped to $35 million. Our guess is that Roethlisberger’s new contract falls somewhere between Matt Ryan‘s $30 million per year new-money average and Rodgers’ current rate.

The new contract will be a two-year extension. If the Steelers remain true to their past business practices, they will pay guaranteed money only in the form of a signing bonus and first-year salary.

With $5 million already earned in March and $12 million more due this season, Roethlisberger could get a signing bonus in the range of $45 million, since that’s the only guaranteed money he’ll receive on what will be a three-year commitment. The two-year extension possibly will fall between $60 million and $64 million, putting the new-money average between $30 million and $32 million and the total value from signing of the new three-year deal at $77 million to $81 million, with an average worth at signing of anywhere from $25.67 million to $27 million.

For now, this is just as semi-educated guess. The real numbers eventually will be disclosed, even if Roethlisberger and his agent refrain (as they did in 2015) from trumpeting the numbers right out of the gates.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/24/what-will-ben-roethlisbergers-new-deal-look-like/
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Source: Big Ben gets extension through 2021

10:32 AM ET

Jeremy Fowler
    ESPN Staff Writer

PITTSBURGH -- The last Killer B left will guide the Pittsburgh Steelers into a new era.

The Steelers are giving quarterback Ben Roethlisberger a new two-year contract extension to go along with the one year he had left on his contract, tying him to Pittsburgh through the 2021 season, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

The extension all but guarantees Big Ben ends his career with the same franchise that drafted him in 2004.

Roethlisberger, who turned 37 on March 2, had one year left on a four-year, $87.6 million deal he signed in 2015. That deal included a $12 million base salary for 2019, which the Steelers have reworked as part of the extension. Roethlisberger also earned a $5 million roster bonus on March 15.

With Le'Veon Bell leaving in free agency after a yearlong holdout and Antonio Brown forcing a trade to the Oakland Raiders, Roethlisberger is essential in guiding Pittsburgh past a drama-filled season.

The Steelers began discussing a new deal for Roethlisberger after the season, but both sides hadn't agreed to terms in time for the new league year. Complicating matters is a ballooning quarterback market that's seen Atlanta Falcons' Matt Ryan and Green Bay Packers' Aaron Rodgers reach the $30 million-per-year threshold.

The 2020 franchise tag is projected to pay out around $28 million for quarterbacks, depending on the salary cap, according to a league source, but both sides were never expected to get that far.

Since the Steelers typically don't guarantee their contracts beyond the signing bonus, Roethlisberger's deal is likely to include multiple roster bonuses.

Roethlisberger has two Super Bowl victories and ranks sixth all time in passing yards (56,194) and seventh in touchdowns (363). He led the NFL in passing yards in 2018 with 5,129. The Steelers never have had a losing season with him at quarterback, and he is among the franchise leaders in career games played with 216.

The quarterback has been the subject of public criticism for his dealings with Brown, who had six straight 100-catch seasons before leaving Pittsburgh. Brown wasn't happy when Roethlisberger criticized the receiver's route-running on his weekly radio show after a Week 12 loss to the Denver Broncos. Brown then tweeted that Roethlisberger has an "owner mentality" by calling out coaches and teammates who are afraid to question him.

Brown later told ESPN's Jeff Darlington in an on-camera interview that he got mixed messages from his quarterback.

"If I'm your guy, make me know I'm your guy, but don't say I'm your guy and point fingers," Brown said. "Don't say I'm your guy and then don't throw me the ball the whole first quarter."

General manager Kevin Colbert defended Roethlisberger during a media session in mid-February but created more heat when he said the QB had "52 kids" under him. Colbert later specified on NFL Network that he was trying to convey Roethlisberger has more experience than his teammates, along with a Super Bowl pedigree.

"Ben is the unquestioned leader of this group," Colbert said Feb. 20. "He's the elder statesmen and the (only) Super Bowl winner (remaining on the roster). If our players were smart, they'd listen to him because he's been there, he's done it. He can tell them, 'No, guys, what you're doing is or is not good enough.' And I honestly believe that can be a burden on him more often than he may like to admit, because he has to ... he's got 52 kids under him, quite honestly. I want them to step up and say, 'Hey, Ben, what do I have to do? Can I do this better? What do we have to do to win a Super Bowl?'

"I think that once you win it, you've got 53 guys who can say what it took, but right now, he's the only one, so I have no problem with him. He can call me out, and that's fine."

In 2019, Roethlisberger will be tasked with leading an increasingly young locker room and lifting the passing game that lost two major talents in as many years. The team is giving him multiple years to do just that.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26594107/source-big-ben-gets-extension-2021

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Glad the deal is done. Now they can focus on the draft.

Legend

User Info Menu

Ben Roethlisberger: Grateful for new deal, Steelers will get my absolute best

Posted by Josh Alper on April 24, 2019, 12:16 PM EDT

The Steelers and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger agreed to a new contract on Wednesday and the 2004 first-round pick is now tied to the team through the 2021 season.

Roethlisberger had been signed through this season and the official announcement calls it a new three-year deal rather than a two-year extension. No financial terms were announced and none have been reported by outside sources at this point.

“I am grateful to the Rooneys and the Steelers organization for continuing to believe in me,” Roethlisberger said in a statement. “It has always been a goal to play my entire career in Pittsburgh. This is home for me and my family, and we love this city. I am as excited to be a Steeler in year 16 as I was when they drafted me. They will get my absolute best.”

Roethlisberger enters the 2019 season in sixth place in all-time passing yards, seventh place in passing touchdowns and seventh place in completed passes. Steelers owner Art Rooney II noted those totals by calling Roethlisberger one of the “most productive” quarterbacks in history, but said in his own statement that “Ben’s focus is on only one goal — to bring another Lombardi trophy back to Pittsburgh.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/24/ben-roethlisberger-grateful-for-new-deal-steelers-will-get-my-absolute-best/

Legend

User Info Menu

Wednesday, Apr 24, 2019 12:02 PM

Roethlisberger signed to three-year deal

Teresa Varley

Steelers.com

He has been the mainstay for the Steelers offense for 15 seasons, the guy who has made it tick and the glue who has held it all together.

And Ben Roethlisberger will continue that role for several more years as he just signed a three-year contract, keeping him in the black and gold through the 2021 season.

“I am pleased to announce Ben Roethlisberger has been signed to a new three-year contract,” said Steelers President Art Rooney II. “Ben is one of the most productive quarterbacks in NFL history, and he continued to climb the lists among the all-time passing leaders in the League last season. But I know Ben’s focus is on only one goal – to bring another Lombardi trophy back to Pittsburgh. We are excited to finalize this new contract that will keep him as a Steeler through the 2021 season."

Roethlisberger eclipsed the 5,000 yard passing mark for the first time in his career in 2018, completing 452 passes for 5,129 yards, which led the NFL, and 34 touchdowns. Roethlisberger became just one of seven quarterbacks to throw for 5,000 yards in a season. He also threw for 250 yards and a touchdown in 15 of the Steelers 16 games, and did it in each of the team’s first 13 games, a franchise record for consecutive games with at least 250 passing yards and a touchdown pass.

“I am grateful to the Rooneys and the Steelers organization for continuing to believe in me,” said Roethlisberger, who will be entering his 16th season in black and gold. “It has always been a goal to play my entire career in Pittsburgh. This is home for me and my family, and we love this city. I am as excited to be a Steeler in year 16 as I was when they drafted me. They will get my absolute best.”

Roethlisberger was named AFC Offensive Player of the Week twice in 2018, first winning the honor in a 30-27 win over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He completed 30 of 38 passes for 353 yards and three touchdowns, with a quarterback rating of 120.7.

He repeated the honor in a 52-21 win over the Carolina Panthers when he was perfection. Roethlisberger completed 22 of 25 passes for 328 yards, with five touchdowns, no interceptions, and a perfect quarterback rating of 158.3, before coming out early in the fourth quarter.

“Ben was just on the money,” said James Conner. “He just put the ball where it needed to be. You can really trust him when you go out there and he can really dominate the game.”

That was just what he did in one season. His career stats speak for themselves.

Roethlisberger, who was selected by the Steelers with the 11th overall pick in the 2004 NFL Draft, holds the career regular-season Steelers records in just about every category, including passing yards where he has amassed 56,194 yards and passing touchdowns with 363. He also holds the records for passing touchdowns of at least 60 yards (21), passer rating (94.2), completions (4,616), pass attempts (7,16, completion percentage (64.4), yards per attempt (7.84), 300-yard passing games (61) and 3,000 yard passing seasons (13).

It doesn’t stop there. He holds Steelers single-season records for passing yards (5,129), completions (452) and touchdown passes (34), all set in 2018. He also holds the record for passer rating (104.1 in 2007), completion percentage (68.0 in 2015), 300-yard games (9 in 2014) and games with a passer rating of 100.0 or more (10 in 2014).

Roethlisberger holds the Steelers single-game records for most passing yards (522, 10/26/14 vs. Indianapolis), completions (44, 12/10/17 vs. Baltimore), attempts (66, 12/10/17 vs. Baltimore), completion percentage (min. 20 attempts, 88.0, 11/8/18 vs. Carolina) and touchdown passes (6), done in back-to-back games in 2014 (10/26 vs. Indianapolis and 11/2 vs. Baltimore).

Roethlisberger ranks in the Top 10 in NFL history in passing yards (6th – 56,194), pass completions (7th – 4,616) and touchdown passes (7th – 363).

“The things he does, the way he operates himself, the way he throws the football,” said Maurkice Pouncey. “You don’t appreciate it enough when you are playing. When we are all said and done, and sitting at the house and all the younger guys are playing, we know we had the opportunity to play with one of the best ever.”

Roethlisberger has led the Steelers to nine postseason berths, seven AFC North Championships and two Super Bowl victories, with three total Super Bowl appearances. He became the youngest quarterback to win a Super Bowl when he led the team to victory in Super Bowl XL.

“You can’t sum him up in one word or sentence,” said David DeCastro. “It’s those intangibles. He is the ultimate competitor. He wants to win, needs to win, and he proves it.

“You can’t win in this league without a really good quarterback. It all goes through him. He is a special player. He does a lot of things you can’t coach. He is one of the biggest competitors I have ever been around. He wants to win."

https://www.steelers.com/news/roethlisberger-signed-to-three-year-deal

Legend

User Info Menu

Ben gets two more years, $63 million in new money

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 24, 2019, 3:17 PM EDT

As the finishing touches were being put on Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger‘s extension, we guessed he’d be getting somewhere between $30 million and $33.5 million a year in new money. That’s right where it ended up.

Roethlisberger is getting two more years and $63 million in new money, according to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network. That’s $31.5 million a year in new money.

So that gives Roethlisberger a better per-year average than Matt Ryan got on his recent contract extension, but less than Aaron Rodgers, which is in turn less than Russell Wilson. At $35 million a year in new money, Wilson raised the bar last week for the best contract in NFL history, and Roethlisberger did not clear that bar.

But it’s still a good deal for Roethlisberger, and a deal that lets the Steelers plan to have him for the remainder of his career — and to get to work on building a team that can win a third Super Bowl with Roethlisberger at the helm.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/24/ben-gets-two-more-years-63-million-in-new-money/