Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pre draft ramble

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Pre draft ramble

* We all want upgrade at ILB, we are all thinking of how Decastro fell to us, or how we traded up for Troy. I want White! I might consider selling the farm to get him. If we get him, would have a major impact on from get go. And would drastically change our needs and wants in the draft. Barron could play the 3rd safety and back up ILB. We would have depth and strength at ILB and S. The way I see it, if we don't trade for him, I can see us spending 2 picks of our first 4 picks on ILB and S. So why not just use those picks and get the man.

* This WR class looks so good. I would love to take one early, but we are "ok" roster wise to wait in the draft. There is going to be some good WR in the 3-5 round still.

* TE we are going to have to serious focus on this position, I would put this position as the 2 or 3rd need on the team. As much as I bash Vance, he has proven his worth when he is healthy, but that is the key word.

* I can see us going DL some where in the draft, maybe even 1st ( one of the Clemson or Bama) . As it stands, after Heyward and Tuit our next best player(s) is/are Hargrave, Alaya (sp), and then Mccullers(sp). IMH Hargrave is the key here, (Why am I thinking that he backed up Tuit and Heyward or was he just that dominate at times?) He is a free agent next year and he has proven his worth last year. Is he going to be out of our price range next year as a FA? If we do draft another NT can Hargrave also swing out to DE in packages 4-3? Or even keep the DL fresh by having a a rotation of Heyward, Tuit, Hargrave, and a rookie.

* By the looks of the invites we are serious about upgrading our RB . Is Conner listed as the starter set in stone?
    *The same can be said about our KR/PR.... Would be a good camp battle between Rogers/Switzer and rookie. If that rookie is a WR , could it mean the end of Rogers or Switzer.

* What the hell are we planning on doing with Dupree... he is getting paid ! Are we going to keep him long term or is he a lame duck?

*CB/S are we as thin here as we think, or has Allen, Burns, and Sutton going to bring it this year. It looks that they want to seriously change our backfield, by bringing in new coaching staff, and the draft visits. This could be finally a strength, or are we just kidding ourselves again. Why am I thinking that Justin Layne and Savage are going to be their targets.

* Some say that we have too many draft picks, but I can see scenrios where all 10 make the team. We are not as deep as we once were. We can probably have 5 new starters on this team by November.

Legend

User Info Menu

The way I see it... this draft is the most important that we've had in the last 10 years. This team is sort of at a crossroads... and we need an A+ on this draft (to go with 2017 and 201 to bridge the gap to the future.

This is also a great year to have a surplus of picks. I'm not against moving a little to get a player we have targeted... but I'm not for giving up what would be needed to move up for Devin White. Bush is also likely out of the equation.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

As much as I agree w/ trading the farm for WHITE ... Possibly a 1st round next yr. Even.
    TE cannot be overlooked as a high priority. If WHITE is gone I think trading some picks (not next yrs 1st but maybe our 2nd) for HOCKENSON has to be considered.
    At this point we have NO #2 TE and no #1 if McD goes down.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Backup

User Info Menu

if Brian Burns and D Bush are both there at 20....who do you take?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_george View Post
    * We all want upgrade at ILB, we are all thinking of how Decastro fell to us, or how we traded up for Troy. I want White! I might consider selling the farm to get him. If we get him, would have a major impact on from get go. And would drastically change our needs and wants in the draft. Barron could play the 3rd safety and back up ILB. We would have depth and strength at ILB and S. The way I see it, if we don't trade for him, I can see us spending 2 picks of our first 4 picks on ILB and S. So why not just use those picks and get the man.

* This WR class looks so good. I would love to take one early, but we are "ok" roster wise to wait in the draft. There is going to be some good WR in the 3-5 round still.

* TE we are going to have to serious focus on this position, I would put this position as the 2 or 3rd need on the team. As much as I bash Vance, he has proven his worth when he is healthy, but that is the key word.

* I can see us going DL some where in the draft, maybe even 1st ( one of the Clemson or Bama) . As it stands, after Heyward and Tuit our next best player(s) is/are Hargrave, Alaya (sp), and then Mccullers(sp). IMH Hargrave is the key here, (Why am I thinking that he backed up Tuit and Heyward or was he just that dominate at times?) He is a free agent next year and he has proven his worth last year. Is he going to be out of our price range next year as a FA? If we do draft another NT can Hargrave also swing out to DE in packages 4-3? Or even keep the DL fresh by having a a rotation of Heyward, Tuit, Hargrave, and a rookie.

* By the looks of the invites we are serious about upgrading our RB . Is Conner listed as the starter set in stone?
    *The same can be said about our KR/PR.... Would be a good camp battle between Rogers/Switzer and rookie. If that rookie is a WR , could it mean the end of Rogers or Switzer.

* What the hell are we planning on doing with Dupree... he is getting paid ! Are we going to keep him long term or is he a lame duck?

*CB/S are we as thin here as we think, or has Allen, Burns, and Sutton going to bring it this year. It looks that they want to seriously change our backfield, by bringing in new coaching staff, and the draft visits. This could be finally a strength, or are we just kidding ourselves again. Why am I thinking that Justin Layne and Savage are going to be their targets.

* Some say that we have too many draft picks, but I can see scenrios where all 10 make the team. We are not as deep as we once were. We can probably have 5 new starters on this team by November.
    Got to admit that is a excellent ramble. I'll toss out some selections by round and see if that answers some questions.

Round 1. White n Bush gone. Do not see a trade up. Corners are good but I'm not sure good enough to be selected at 20. Could move back a few places. If not it's defensive player in front 7. Burns is a great fit and my first choice. Other option is Simmons. Yeah has some issues but top 10 talent imho.
    Round 2 Not thinking we trade up here though it could happen but I like Justin Layne Michigan St. ,covers all the bases. Other options Oruwariye of Penn State. Both are tall 4.5 guys who can hit n cover. Zone n man skills with production against top college wr's.
    Round 3. Savage would make an excellent selection who may slip because he is a bit undersized at 5'11 199. Explosive 4.36 speed. Reminds me a bit of former Colt Bob Sanders.

Round 3B Pratt lb from N C State. ran that 4.57 and though he has average size has good instincts n he fills a huge need.

Round 4. Boykin or McLaurin if there still out there and there is a good chance they are. Both are speed guys 4.41 n 4.36 for the OSU kid. McLaurin can play special teams so he has versatility. Boykin I believe has that ceiling like a Bryant and he is very much like Bryant in that he is 6'4 with some route limitations. We would do well with either at 122.

Round 5 Sheffield cb OSU. Has been injured but estimated speed 4.35. Has flashed and played well in off man. If healthy he goes a round or 2 earlier. We seem to do well with this type of player who falls do to injury. He's from the right school. To me he could be excellent in the slot.

Round 6 A Gary Jennings WVU just one of my favorite prospects. Good production. Runs all the routes including arrow and post corner showing the ability to change directions easily. Big enough at just under 6'1 and 210 with 4.43 at combine. Good hands catcher who should go sooner.
    Round 6B Moreau TE LSU Solid blue collar TE. Average size but a grinder. Could need a year to develop. Can play the Y. Not sexy but not every pick is.
    Round 6C Stephen Denmark DB Valdosta State Here is your sexy. DB who can be S CB or Hybrid. Big check 6'3 220. Athletic check 43.5 vertical. Bench 19 reps . Fast? Check 4.46 with a 1.48 10yd split. Hitter big time. Watch some of this dudes tape. We even brought him in for a visit. And he also played wr first then converted to DB. Another guy who played a bunch of special teams Negative was skill level he played against. Boom or bust type but oh that upside.
    Round 7 Kerrith Whyte Florida Atlantic U. Same backfield as Devin Singletary who averaged 5.2 yds a carry. Whyte averaged 6.5! Average size but great speed 4.36 and ran back 2 kickoffs in college for td's 98 n 100 yds. Not a bunch of receptions at the college level only 22 but he has upside and it's an area of need. Value late is a nice selection. IMHO he has a legit shot at the next level. Also brought him in for a visit.
    So there is a lot there to kick the tires on. It never goes the way we think but this is one possible way. You can't fix every issue in one draft but 10 selections should help. I'm guessing we sign a few O linemen as f/a's after the draft ends.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Iron City Inc. View Post
    Got to admit that is a excellent ramble. I'll toss out some selections by round and see if that answers some questions.

Round 1. White n Bush gone. Do not see a trade up. Corners are good but I'm not sure good enough to be selected at 20. Could move back a few places. If not it's defensive player in front 7. Burns is a great fit and my first choice. Other option is Simmons. Yeah has some issues but top 10 talent imho.
    did you know that Simmons is featured in a 2016 viral video in which he’s shown repeatedly striking a woman named Sophia Taylor?

I don't think the Steelers will overlook that character concern...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    did you know that Simmons is featured in a 2016 viral video in which he’s shown repeatedly striking a woman named Sophia Taylor?

I don't think the Steelers will overlook that character concern...
    Yes of course. But this was the one incident where his sister I'm not sure if Brook or Ashley has involved. A lot to that story but a discon and simple assault was how it ended. Not good but not the "game over' incident. 4.0 gpa and a bunch of community awards after and no other incidents of any nature.
    ACL issue likely shelves him till November but he could be better than Heyward or Tuitt and the 3 of them out there together could be special.

Legend

User Info Menu

Yes of course. But this was the one incident where his sister I'm not sure if Brook or Ashley has involved. A lot to that story but a discon and simple assault was how it ended. Not good but not the "game over' incident. 4.0 gpa and a bunch of community awards after and no other incidents of any nature.
    ACL issue likely shelves him till November but he could be better than Heyward or Tuitt and the 3 of them out there together could be special.
    personally I wouldn't draft him in the first round but I do love the rest of your draft!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Appreciate that. Heck it never goes the way we think but we are fortunate that some areas where we are thin this draft is deep.

Legend

User Info Menu

Appreciate that. Heck it never goes the way we think but we are fortunate that some areas where we are thin this draft is deep.
    I read somewhere that more than 10 TEs might get drafted in the first four rounds, so we should be able to get one we like...