Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First Round Trade Up Scenarios: What would you be willing to give to move up from 20?

Legend

User Info Menu

First Round Trade Up Scenarios: What would you be willing to give to move up from 20?

With 10 picks total (including 4 picks within the top 83 overall selections), we have the ammunition to move up to get the type of impact player who might otherwise be completely out of range for us in a typical year.

Guys like Nick Bosa and Josh Allen would certainly look great in black and gold, but they are likely top 3 picks therefore aren't included since the cost to obtain them would be prohibitive.

Many assume that Devin White will come off the board within the top 5 overall picks or so, but I am including him because there could be a run on top notch d-linemen and edge rushers who get after the passer, allowing the top off-the-ball LB to fall back into the neighborhood of the 8th or 9th pick (Roquan Smith went to Chicago at #8 last year), which is where I would be willing to pounce, since both Detroit and Buffalo have expressed a willingness to possibly trade down.

Here is my currently list of trade up possibilities, and was I would be willing to give up to obtain each of them:

ILB Devin White: My favorite player in the draft. A sure thing in my mind. Complete player who could potentially impact how we are able to play defense going forward. Would potentially even wear the green dot on his helmet as a rookie, since he'd be our top ILB able to defend the run and pass with equal effectiveness.

I'd be willing to give up 2 Day Two picks to move up from 1.20 for a chance to draft Devin White.

Preferably, I'd like to split those two picks between this year and next year.
    For instance:
    a 2019 second round pick and a 2020 third round pick
    or
    a 2019 third round pick and a 2020 second round pick

After such a trade, we would still have 3 picks in the first 3 rounds this year (because of the extra 3rd rounder for AB) and also 3 picks in the first 3 rounds next year as well (because of the 3rd round comp pick we expect to get for Bell).

TE T.J. Hockenson: My second favorite player in the draft. Also a sure thing in my mind. Complete player who could potentially impact how we are able to play offense going forward. Would allow us to be a dominant 2 TE offense that should be able to run or pass with equal effectiveness. Hock, Vance, Juju, Moncrief, Conner...they all can block, they all can catch...Yes, please.

I'd be willing to give up 1 Day Two pick and 1 Day Three Pick to move up from 1.20 for a chance to draft T.J. Hockenson.

Similar to what we paid to move up to get Troy Polamalu and Santonio Holmes once upon a time. Hopefully a similar impact as well (since those trades resulted in a future Hall of Famer and a Super Bowl MVP).

OLB Montez Sweat: A productive college player who also tested off the charts athletically. The only way he could fall within reasonable range for a trade up would be if teams get scared off by his heart condition, but it sounds as if doctors have deemed it to be a relatively minor issue that should not impact his playing career. Pairing him with T.J. Watt going forward would be like having a latter day Lloyd and Greene meeting at the QB.

I'd be willing to give up 1 Day Two pick to move up from 1.20 for a chance to draft Montez Sweat.

ILB Devin Bush: Not as much of a sure thing in my eyes as Devin White. He could be great, and he certainly would be something we are currently missing in the middle of our defense, but I'm not willing to risk a large degree of prime draft capital to get a guy who checks many impressive boxes, but not necessarily all of the boxes like White or Hock.

I'd be willing to give up 2 Day Three picks to move up from 1.20 for a chance to draft Devin Bush.

OLB Brian Burns: The last of the legit first round 3-4 OLB edge rushers.

I'd be willing to give up 1 Day Three pick to move up from 1.20 for a chance to draft Brian Burns.

CB Byron Murphy and TE Noah Fant:

I'd be willing to take either of them at 1.20, but I'm not prepared to trade up for either one of them at this time.

Who would you want to trade up for in this draft, and what would you be willing to give up to make it happen?
    Last edited by RuthlessBurgher; 04-16-2019 at 03:36 PM.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I wouldn't be surprised if we end up trading up.

But, do you think it would be more valuable to move up with our first pick, or with our 2nd?

I don't know enough about the players, but this seems like it could be a better play.

According to drafttek, if we trade 52 OA we could move from:
    - 20 to ~ 12 (gives us 12, 66, 83)

If we trade 66 OA we could move from:
    - 20 OA to 14 OR (gives us 14, 52, 83)
    - 52 OA to 29 OA (gives us 20, 29, 83)

If we traded 83 OA we could move from:
    - 20 to ~16 (gives us 16, 52, 66)
    - 52 to ~35 (gives us 20, 35, 66)
    - 66 to ~47 (gives us 20, 47, 52)

Obviously it depends on how the draft breaks and the players that the team wants.

But, I kind of like the idea of trading back into the end of the first or having 3 picks in the top 52.

But if getting to 12 gives us White? I'd be tempted. I don't remember the Steelers have traditionally traded future draft picks, but I do think it would be great to have a dynamic ILB again.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The only player I'd leave #20 and give up a 2nd Round Pick would be for WHITE. I'd give up a 3rd for HOCK
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Ruth, are you sure you don't have me hacked? I was thinking the exact same thing last night for my next themed mock.." go for broke mock" and was thinking all day who and how much is it logical to trade up for.

I think the mock is deep in enough this year, that we actually draft what we need/want after the 4th round. If we go aggressive for White.
    We can even use next years 3rd to trade for this years 4th.

Something like this:

1.20) trade for White
    2.52) trade for White
    3.66) trade for White
    3.83) Justin Layne CB/ Hooker DB
    4.122) Mack DL
    4B) Sills/Gentry WR
    5) /Moreau/Mack/Waco/Warring TE
    6.) Morgan Stanley WR
    6) Love RB
    6) TY Johnson RB/ST
    7) Johnson Toledo WR/ST
    Im so tired of LeVeon," DeCastro told reporters (h/t ESPN's Jeremy Fowler ([url]https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1038909446146203649[/url])) after Sunday's game. "Im so tired of it. Lets just worry about the guys in here. I know you guys have stories to write and what not. I love LeVeon, but we gotta worry about the guys in here. Theyre the only people that matter to me."

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

K Ruth since we're in the hypothetical here I'll take one shot at your favorite guy Mr White.

Tampa at 5 has a 1700 value there. That value is double our value at 20 which is 850. So here goes:

Our 1st, our 6th ,number 192 valued at 14 and our 2020 1st rounder a complete wild card at this point. So two 1's and a 6.

From Tampa their 1st and Tampa's 3rd rounder in 2020.

They have a big need at corner and would likely get the top corner at 20 this year and a sweetener with the extra 6th we provide.

For us I would trade back a few spots with our early 6th rounder and pick up an extra 6th or 7th in 2020 giving us a 2 3 3 3 4 5 6 6 7 next year. That's enough ammo to trade up for another 2nd rounder next year or put a large package together to get a 1st if need be a year from now.
    Well it's a long shot but could happen. Stranger stuff has happened on draft day.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Iron City Inc. View Post
    K Ruth since we're in the hypothetical here I'll take one shot at your favorite guy Mr White.

Tampa at 5 has a 1700 value there. That value is double our value at 20 which is 850. So here goes:

Our 1st, our 6th ,number 192 valued at 14 and our 2020 1st rounder a complete wild card at this point. So two 1's and a 6.

From Tampa their 1st and Tampa's 3rd rounder in 2020.
    Tampa Bay would never accept that deal, and they certainly wouldn't give us back their 3rd rounder.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Tampa Bay would never accept that deal, and they certainly wouldn't give us back their 3rd rounder.
    What a buzz kill. There are no "never happens" on draft day. A bunch of odd stuff happens on draft day all the time you know that. This is a negotiation process. Tampa saying no to a trade like that is not the end all. So lets try it this way Tampa says no. I would continue to attempt a trade of that nature as long as White is still there. Denver misses on Hoskins n White is there at 10. I would offer them the same. Perhaps they want Lock but not at 10 ,they could pull the trigger. It's a hypothetical trade scenario. Work with me here we need to give Ruth some hope.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Iron City Inc. View Post
    What a buzz kill. There are no "never happens" on draft day. A bunch of odd stuff happens on draft day all the time you know that. This is a negotiation process. Tampa saying no to a trade like that is not the end all. So lets try it this way Tampa says no. I would continue to attempt a trade of that nature as long as White is still there. Denver misses on Hoskins n White is there at 10. I would offer them the same. Perhaps they want Lock but not at 10 ,they could pull the trigger. It's a hypothetical trade scenario. Work with me here we need to give Ruth some hope.
    I'm just saying Tampa Bay wouldn't include their 3rd round pick.

if you want to make the trade, Tampa's 1.5 for our 1.20 and our next year's #1 is more realistic.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post

ILB Devin White: My favorite player in the draft. A sure thing in my mind. Complete player who could potentially impact how we are able to play defense going forward. Would potentially even wear the green dot on his helmet as a rookie, since he'd be our top ILB able to defend the run and pass with equal effectiveness.
    If Devin White is a sure thing, and I think he is, I’d be on the phone with the Raiders to move up to #4 (IMO the Bucs will take him at 5). It would be a high price tag to move up 16 spots but I’d rather fix the ILB problem once and for all.

Git ‘Er Dun!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBucks View Post
    If Devin White is a sure thing, and I think he is, Id be on the phone with the Raiders to move up to #4 (IMO the Bucs will take him at 5). It would be a high price tag to move up 16 spots but Id rather fix the ILB problem once and for all.

Git Er Dun!!!
    are you willing to trade all 10 of our draft picks in order to move up to #4 and pick Devin White?

because that's what it would take...